ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 speaker upgrade

A4 Avant & A3
I have been pondering on a speaker upgrade for the front of my car for a while now. (running off the standard HU)
I was thinking of getting some of the highly rated rainbow comps.
But after carefull consideration i don't think i really want to go through the hassle of removing the dash & that.

I have come across these coax's http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/conte...+/+Speakers~st~In-Car+Speaker~make~Alpine.htm
whilst on the net, which seem a pretty good price compared to other sites.
Would anyone recommend these as an upgrade to the standard?? would it be worth it or would they not make much of a difference compared to the original.
I take it i could simply just swap the door speakers for these without any complications???

Cheers

182BG
i changed my front and rear speakers for some infinitys, was easy to do

i didn't bother with the tweeters though, easier just to leave them

A4 Avant & A3
So you just put some coaxial type speakers in the doors then, or were they something else?
Did it make a good enough improvement over the originals? (i'm sure it does, as mine are sounding a bit crap - think one of the rears is blowing too)

Anyone in the know got any ideas about the Alpine ones i posted the link to? as they are on a bit of an offer at the moment, £29 inc P&P insead of the £40 (ish) + P&P on other sites i've seen.

Dunno about the alpire ones you've linked too but I'd say to have a look at the infinity ones too matey, I put them all round in my car, and it made a fantastic difference to the quality :)

A4 Avant & A3
nice one, thanks for that.
I'll have a look around.
Think i might need some for the back now too :-( can hear them crackling, don't think i'll get renault to replace them though..

I had infinity 13cm in my other car - was amazed at the sound for price. I know they arent made for bass, but do they kick out some bass more than std speakers?

i too want to fit some all round, just a bit worried about the rear speakers? is it quite a job getting the door card off? any hassle putting back etc

really dont wanna spoil my new car ha!

A4 Avant & A3
As far as i'm aware the covers simply pull off.. as long as you go a little bit careul with them..
Don't wanna go creating rattles ;-)

Clio 172 mk2
i got some blaupunkt front speakers and tweeters. a bit pricey but would easily of handled ma old head unit

A4 Avant & A3
I think they do have covers...
I know they did in my 2002 dynamique.. havn't actually been in the back of the cup, but i think it's the same.

Just looking for some speakers now.. & then tell the mrs that she 'Does' want to buy me a set of speakers for my birthday.. :)

M140i/Orange 182
rainbows indeed, i was too going to go for the comps but i carnt be arsed with 'annoying the dash' dont want any rattles!

A4 Avant & A3
What is it within the Specs that makes the rainbows better then? or is it down to things like materials used to make them etc?
as by looking at the specs, mainly the frequency the alpines look better. But then i know next to naff all about this stuff, so looking for some guidance.

Alpine: SPS-130A:
13cm (5.25") 2-way speakers
Peak Power 150W
RMS Power 30W
Frequency Response: 45Hz -30kHz
Swivel Tweeter
Spoke Design Grill System
Nomex Spider

Rainbow: KX 130:
DREAM LINE KX RANGE
2-way coaxial - 130mm (5.25")
54 / 52 mm Mounting depth (with/without ring)
Max. power handling: 120W
Nom. power handling: 80W
Sensitivity : 90dB
Frequency response: 65 - 21.000 Hz
Crossover frequency: 4500Hz
Grilles supplied.
Sold as one pair of speakers

I'm mainly thinking about the price difference, the rainbows are twice the price, and if that means twice the quality then i might do it.
Is RMS & NOM power handling the same? as thats the only thing that looks better on the rainbows, but then i don't know what power the standard HU puts out anyway, so probably don't need to worry to much about that. Or is the HU more than 30w rms?

shame they won't send the 2 so i could see what ones sounded better lol

muz

big fat japanese bus
the specs only tell half the story its all about warmth of sound, accurate soundstage etc.

You can put the tweeters anywhere you want, mine are in my A pillars

muz

big fat japanese bus
dont think you could have got a lot better new for that amount of cash TBH

A4 Avant & A3
53clio_tom said:
ive just bought these: http://www.raysmith.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=3_4_9&products_id=1157

good choice? i seem to think so..!

Nice one,
I think i'm gonna go for http://www.raysmith.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=3_4_9&products_id=1156
I was planning on getting the bargain alpine ones for £30!! so these are going to double what i am spending.. don't think i can bring myself to stretch to the next ones up..
Let me know how you get on with them, i will probably order mine from that raysmith site too as they are a bit cheaper.

M140i/Orange 182
na mate, ive just ordered them, should be here by the end of the week!

should get my head unit 2moz though (Alpine 9852R)

i know they should sound nice once hooked up but iam guessing to get the full potential out of them, iam gonna have to amp them.

M140i/Orange 182
ok got my headunit! alpine 9853R....it sounds so much better just with the standard speakers! (rainbows are comming 2moz) there is alot of setings and ive been playing around alot! and learnt a bit!

only thing is that it does stick out abit(might need pushing in abit??) and when you have got the screen tilted it rattles a bit!

apart from that its koolio!

172 cup
peak power doesnt really mean anything. The rms (roots mean squared) is the actuall power of the speaker.