ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Sump Guard

02 Iceberg 172
Just an update to this.

Just picked mine up today from my local dealer, looks spot on, and just what I need.

Part # has changed to 8200208420 protector bin 11020

Only took 4 days to arrive, so not too bad really seeming that Renault don't know that they do one.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was this from Renault?

197 Cup, Ford Puma
I would suggest people have a quick look at the standard plastic one and use it as a template, i did one for a mates 172 using chequerplate i had spare. We use it for road rallies/12 cars and navigational events and its been fine. Its just as easy on a 197 too, i now run a 10mm kevlar guard modified to fit (its originally from a group N evo rally car), the other half of it is on my puma stage rally car.

Phil

Ph1
Ive got a 10mm thick alloy one for my car that my mate made. Its still a bit heavy but I have given it a proper beating and still hardly marked it.
Its got 4 metal threaded blocks welded onto the subframe that it bolts onto and spaces it down a bit.
Cost £30 for the materials.

10mm :eek: What you protecting against, land mines? lol

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
10mm :eek: What you protecting against, land mines? lol

Pretty much!!
Good classic Welsh road rally farm yards, forestry roads, and the roughest 'whites' that organisers can find and say they are smooth!

Ive split too many sumps in the past, so rather have no worries with a 10mm guard.

197 Cup, Ford Puma
As above.... Except im a little north of Wales.

Its also handy for spectating, some of the forrest roads in kielder are a bit rough.

Cup In bits
I would suggest people have a quick look at the standard plastic one and use it as a template, i did one for a mates 172 using chequerplate i had spare. We use it for road rallies/12 cars and navigational events and its been fine. Its just as easy on a 197 too, i now run a 10mm kevlar guard modified to fit (its originally from a group N evo rally car), the other half of it is on my puma stage rally car.

Phil

Im guessing you spaced it down or shaped it to clear the sump as a flat sheet won't work being strapped to the subframe,?

197 Cup, Ford Puma
It just so happened to have a curve in the bit i had spare, narrowed it down and it was spot on. It has plenty of clearence on the sump. Its been tested too, hit a very big rock that was hiding in a puddle in Dalby forrest a few weeks ago, without the gurad ive got no doubt the sump would have had some unwelcome ventilation. Also had to run about 50 yards along a very rutted firebreak in Kielder, ran most of the way with the sumpguard on the crown in the road and again it was fine.

Cup In bits
Sounds the ticket, I think I'm going to do mine in plywood and copy the evo group n design that acts as a splitter aswell. If wood works for F1 under trays.... it will do me :p

For Circuit not forest mind.