ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 to mk1 Focus RS

BMW E92/Audi S3
Right. Thinking to buy a focus RS soon. Whats the insurance like compared to a 172? Has anyone gone from a 172 to a Focus RS before?
Test drove the RS and it was LOVELY on boost, and corners pretty damn well!

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
focus is only group 16 so is cheaper or around the same as the 172!
i got quoted £1100 at 19 with 1yrs ncb so its cheap..

there a hell of a car and have a lot of presence on the road and are rare as fcuk!
o and dont go to junction 28 sales

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
like i say you may get a descent one but i know alot of people who have had problems!
got a link to the one your getting??

340i
jct28 garage is only a 2minute walk from my house ;)

They do have alot of FRS's but as said above, some of the cars they have are overpriced and I've heard a few horror stories, but who hasn't LOL!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'd read up before buying. If you do your research, pay for an inspection before buying, far better off buying private IMO.

M2 Competition
Better buying private. Garages offer a 'warranty' that isnt worth the paper its written on, will tart cars up to sell them, and for the same money, the car you get is far worse.

If a car is looked after, most will sell it privately. If a car needs work, they'll trade it into a garage who doesnt know its history...

There are exceptions on either side, but thats what ive found.

M2 Competition
From what ive heard its very hard to know if you'll get a good one or not, and they all torque steer massively.

More of a fast a-road cruiser?

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
they do torque steer like a btch but aslong as your not a idiot, you can control it, a descent set of tyres and a good suspension set up will see you right (even tho they are a great car down the twisties)

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
my mate has one they aint quality cars like rich said get a ph2 with the pink throttle gromit and stiched seats as they dont sag, with a rempa they are pretty quick, buy private deffinatly imo they are the ones that have been looked after. any other question drop me a pm i seem to no alot about these now coz of me mate!

a burnt one
My mates has a blue fin chip or remap, whatever it is?? And the torque steer is unreal, not just in 1st or 2nd gear but i found even in 4th gear it wanted to either pull into a ditch or an oncoming car, it really is a bit of a beast to tame.

Cancel the gym membership if you get one as the biceps will be bulging after a few weeks of reigning the steering wheel in.

In all honesty i actually found it quite a difficult car to drive fast, if you're sticking in a high gear and planting it then it's fine but on a road with loads of gear changes it's a different story, handles like it's on rails though.

He also has a bailey DV and it's a great buzz, i still feel the pictures (as with the new model) don't do the car any justice at all, they really are quite imposing in the flesh.

Dash is minging though.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
Do you own one Rich?

no but i was on the look out for 1 a few months ago and did a lot of research and have driven quite a few!
like me and others have said, buy privately from a member from the forums... and you shouldnt have any problems!

Z4
standard for standard my mates was no faster than my cup at all.

They're nice cars though, interior is a let down, and your neighbours will think its a standard focus.

BMW E92/Audi S3
No not really. The torque steer on the RS 172 was quite bad too. Torque steer doesn't really bother me much.

BMW E92/Audi S3
Whilst were on the topic. What would you guys recommend? 9-11k budget Group 17 insurance tops. Fun, yet smart car.

Audi TT 3.2 V6
Audi TT 225
BMW 330 Coupe
Audi A3 3.2
Focus ST
Mk1 Porsche Boxster S
Nissan 350z

All those would be on my list for £12k