ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 to williams

Hi all
Just wondering if anyone has took a step backwards in owning a clio?
Ive always loved the williams and very nearly bought one last year until to my delight, a mk1 172 came along for the same price - yipeee.
Dont get me wrong i love my 172, its a fantastic car for its value but i think im just going through one of those phases and i fancy a change and seen as ive always loved the williams so much then why not swap?
Seems daft i know but i always get more excited when i see a williams than i do a 172.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
someone did, i cant remember who but i remember them saying they sold their williams for a 172 (not sure what mk) and they v much regretted it and consequently sold the rs for another williams.... i remember that he was pursueing his old willy prehaps someone else will remember the story.

There are a few owners on here who have done this.
There different cars. I love my Williams and I've driven a few 172/182's modified and standard and I love them as well. Its always good to try something different and if you can put up with the possible weekness of the car (less reliable although it does depends mines been very relaible and its raced a lot).
Williams do stand out more IMO which is both a positive and a negative. 172/182 are better equipt and a better (although its still not stunning) driving position they also have some more space and brakes as standard.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
yeah i had a cup sold it as it was costing too much on finance took out a loan and halved my monthly payments and got a pristine williams 3 with 50k on the clock and full renault history. never regretted it, love the williams. turns heads, looks great, goes really well (has hill power stage 1 conversion) and the handling is far superiour to the cup.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I'd love a Williams as I think it is more of a head turner than my 172, only bettered by the V6 IMHO. Would be put off by the age now. I don't fancy another winter of fixing a broken car! Williams as a spare car, defo.

Rob669

I bought a Williams 2 back in March this year, mint example with 100k on the clock and loads of history. It's been the best car i've ever owned. A couple of weeks ago I came across a cheap mk1 172 which i snapped up with the intention of having that as a replacement for the Williams. After a couple of weeks of getting used to it, im no longer sure that i want to sell the Williams even though i've got it advertised at the moment for sale. Granted the 172 is slightly quicker, but the Williams is a much more involving car to drive, and loads of fun. I've now advertsied my 172 at the same price as the Williams, which ever goes first goes. I've got a feeling though that it'll be the Williams which gets bought first though. Great cars, and i'd definatly recommend buying one (or even mine! lol) if you want something fun, but not so well refined as a 172.

Snotter's
your gaurenteed to get young lads coming up and is that a williams or older guys saying i remember those when they came out.If you get a mint one imo there aint many cars that look as good plus with a few mods they will keep with most of todays cars

SC 172 FF
bought my willy 2 bk in june this yr, thought about sellin it many times after the problems iv had wiv it, but just one luk at it changes my mind. this is only my 2nd car but im keepin it 4ever!

get 1!!!!

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
not to be tempting fate but i dont get this reliability issue that others mention.... ive had to have the arches done (twice) but i dont find my williams that expensive to run. okay the bad points are that it rattles ALOT, its noisy, but its a hoot to drive, the feed back and the precision u get is v good, it feels v solid and often screams to be driven harder, although i find that once pushed too hard it becomes very twitchy. additionaly i feel some ppl seem to say that they keep up with alot of cars that i dont think it would, they are quick but @ the end of the day they are 10 yrs old, although the IMO performance gap between "todays" hothatches and the williams' can be made up v easily as the f7r engine does respond v well to certain engine mods, and tbf the engines are pretty bullet proof too, to witness this just turn up at ur average trackday and look at the amnt of sh*t that alot of them take..... just if u do drive it v hard be sure to service it evry 3k. the worst thing abt my car is the f**king crap std brakes and the leaky sunroof, a small price to pay for what i think is a cracking car

Last edited:
I love my williams 1, its great to pull up at the lights and have people give you the thumbs up. Doubt the 172 owners get that .........

J_rt said:
not to be tempting fate but i dont get this reliability issue that others mention.... ive had to have the arches done (twice) but i dont find my williams that expensive to run. okay the bad points are that it rattles ALOT, its noisy, but its a hoot to drive, the feed back and the precision u get is v good, it feels v solid and often screams to be driven harder, although i find that once pushed too hard it becomes very twitchy. additionaly i feel some ppl seem to say that they keep up with alot of cars that i dont think it would, they are quick but @ the end of the day they are 10 yrs old, although the IMO performance gap between "todays" hothatches and the williams' can be made up v easily as the f7r engine does respond v well to certain engine mods, and tbf the engines are pretty bullet proof too, to witness this just turn up at ur average trackday and look at the amnt of sh*t that alot of them take..... just if u do drive it v hard be sure to service it evry 3k. the worst thing abt my car is the f**king crap std brakes and the leaky sunroof, a small price to pay for what i think is a cracking car

your basing the opinion of reliability on your car though, most people have problems with these cars. Like you say, engine is bullet proof, but it's EVERYTHING around it that causes problems. I've spent £7k just fixing my car... that's dedication to the cause imo :D lol

WTF are you all going on about? A brand spanking 182 straight out of the showroom is already riddled with ticking time bomb faults that Renault never bothered to fix. Hardly reliable :D

Reno are terrible for it, you'd think they would want to lose the stigma of unreliable cars, but all the Clio Sports have followed the same sad pattern... great chassis, rotting shell, bullet proof block, weak boxes... weak everything else. 10 years on and still the same rattles and faults... poor Reno, very poor.

SC 172 FF
J_rt said:

u shud get the willwood 4 pot brake conversion!

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
iLL_MoVeS said:
u shud get the willwood 4 pot brake conversion!

yer i nearly did in the summer, its just there a few hundred quid and i dont know if i would extract the full potential from thm tbh. £400 ish is alot of money

Its been said a few times about the brakes being a bit poor, have you tried replacing the fluid with some hi-grade DOT4 and making sure the calipers are all free'd up and sweet??

I did mine not to long ago and it make a huge difference!