ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 turning over but wont start

Golf GT TDI
as above, has been fine in this cold weather so far just came out to it now and its just turning over..

i have just taken the tdc sensor off and cleaned it.. still no joy

battery is fully charged as i have just checked that and put it in a trickle charge because i need to keep trying to start it.

any ideas? iam with the car now so can try a few things!

thanks for any help

Golf GT TDI
also, when turing it over the red immobiliser light is off so dont think its a fault with that?

Mondeo TDCI 130
I would be suspicious it may be a tdc sensor pal! Need to get the codes read really and go form there!!!

When did you last start it!?? Just wne to it and it won't go?

Golf GT TDI
I would be suspicious it may be a tdc sensor pal! Need to get the codes read really and go form there!!!

When did you last start it!?? Just wne to it and it won't go?

yesterday stated i 4 times went to work got petrol ect went to it this morning and it was just turning over

problem is it wont start so getting it out is going to be a problem as heavy snow is forcast and its really snowy here already.

i took my tdc sensor off and put it on my friends 02 pate 172 and his fired up right away

Mondeo TDCI 130
Wooo, good work batman! So that kind of rules that out!!

May sound stupid, you defo put petrol in it?! Seen it before.....

Golf GT TDI

haha yeh got 21L yesterday got nearly half a tank, just been told i might have tried the wrong relay. hang on a min will get a pic up

Golf GT TDI
Image336.jpg

changed the pink one but think its a brown one?

Mondeo TDCI 130
I have had issues with the one of the 3 little brown ones before, but not for a loooooooong time! So can't remember which one it was! :( Im s**t! lol!

Renaultsport

this is exactly what i asked him! he is a dime bar after all!

least we got a few more things to try tomorow jowd, thats if i can get to your place, if it snows again your fooked!

Golf GT TDI
I have had issues with the one of the 3 little brown ones before, but not for a loooooooong time! So can't remember which one it was! :( Im s**t! lol!

Has the 5 amp fuse blown near the relays?

right hand one is usually the dodgy one from memory

thanks for the help guys i really appreciate it.

will check the fuse in the morning as its -5 outside now

i will also check relays and keep you all updated.

thanks again for all the help:D

type r civic
could of flooded the engine as we had that at work with a 182 kept cranking we had every thing fuel and spark took plugs out and all wet. cranked over by hand with all plugs out cleaned up plugs and re ftted them and started straight away.
Worth checking lol;)

Golf GT TDI
Any joy?!

hi steve got this to try first

DSC00698.jpg

just to rule out the connetion.

but its a bit to cold and dark to do now.

the little heat shrink sleves just push the wires into them stripped and squash the metal bit in the middle?
i was going to krimp it but these came with the kit

Last edited:
  Clio 172
I had this problem the other day. Didn't come up with any fault codes when on a code reader.Take it you got stung for the fifty odd quid by renault too

Golf GT TDI
I had this problem the other day. Didn't come up with any fault codes when on a code reader.Take it you got stung for the fifty odd quid by renault too

yep:dapprove: £51 inc vat

how did you fix yours or is it still broke?

Clio 172
Mine was the tdc sensor.Changed it and it started straight away.cleaned it but it made no difference.hopefully yours will be the same

Megane dci 130
You dont crimp them connections. You place the wire in them either side and heat the whole sleeve. The heat will melt that metal piece and bond them together.

Also note sometimes the wires swap positions. Just match the pin numbers (a,b) to the new plug.

Golf GT TDI
You dont crimp them connections. You place the wire in them either side and heat the whole sleeve. The heat will melt that metal piece and bond them together.

Also note sometimes the wires swap positions. Just match the pin numbers (a,b) to the new plug.

ideal, cheers bud. just waiting for the weather to pick up;)

Golf GT TDI
right just fitted the new tdc sensor and it has made no difference at all

still just turning over.

any ideas before i take a sledge hammer to it?

a few more things i have noticed

1. driver headlight ajuster going crazy its constantly ajusting
2. when ignition is turned 2 clicks sounds like there is a scraping buzz kind of noise coming from inside the dash on drivers side
3. whilst turning over the serv airbag oil and battery light are on. this might be normal not sure?

Last edited:
  Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Before you fitted the Tdc sensor, did you just cross the wires with each other first to find the correct way? i didnt and managed to put them wrong way, after about a month of piss farting about trying to find the answer i decided to swap them over and hey presto it fired.

The Airbag is nothing to worry about, (serv will come on because of this)
oil could be that its too low,
battery light is always on but will go off

Golf GT TDI
ah right. well the old connections were marked on the plug

A=yellow wire
B=white wire

new one is

A= yellow
B= pink

so matched them up yellow to yellow A-A
pink to white B-B

think this is right?

oil is full was serviced in oct

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
You have 2 oil's. gearbox and engine oil, so not sure if it could mean gearbox oil ?

Did you use the plastic thing to melt across them? i didnt because i needed to make sure it was the correct order first, i would go out and check for you but its freezing sorry,

But just losen them up then twist the ends so their tight and join Y > Y W > P then swap, it could be this, but not sure why renault have changed the colour of the wires tbh, its worth a try,

Golf GT TDI
no i didnt i krimped them.

yeh i could try changing them but cant see it being A to B and B to A surely?

i need a pic really lol

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Its the new style you have ye?

I had instructions with mine even tho i followed the steps it was still wrong, but i was positive it was correct way untill trev on here said swap them and i did and it started no probz, its worth a try if it only takes 30mins ;)

Golf GT TDI
yeh it is. it`s blue

the thing that makes me wonder is that we put my old tdc sensor on my mates 2002 172 and his car started first time.

Golf GT TDI
my friend is bringing the eos fault code reader home on saturday from renault

so will keep the thread updated for people with similar problems

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Have you anychance changed the coilpack/Plugs ? if you can get your mate round and remove them from his car and fit to yours see if they start, if they start then atleast you kno they are fine

Golf GT TDI
hi mate. yep tried a new coil as paul ly_182 has a spare one and it had brand new ngk platinum oem plugs in oct...... so am totaly at a dead end :(

very strange as it was working perfect the day before it broke down

no signs of any problems or anything