ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 tweeting noise from the engine

Clio RS 172
Hi,

I not long signed up as i thought i may be able to get some help on here,

For the last week or so my car has had a strange tweeting noise coming from the engine bay, seems like its coming from one of the belts, ive had someone take a look at it and they suggested to put some grease or WD40 on it and it should go stop as they had a similar problem before. It did work for a few days but as soon as it rained the sound came back and now it dont seem to go,

It happens 90% of the time when its ticking over and when you let the accelerator off in low revs,

Anyone else had this problem or know how to fix it without having to take it to a garage??

Thanks for the help in advance!

Clio RS 172
ye usually between 1-3500, dont think its any higher than that :s

how long has yours been doing it for?

clio 172
mine does it between 2000 - 3000 rpm. been doing it for about 6 months. i think its something to do with the exhaust? but not sure.

CLIO PH1 172
Tweeting noise ??? Have u run over a bird?

Were did u put the grease to make it stop to me it sound like ur dephaser witch is to do with ur belt and will make a noise that will then go after about 3000revs (or mine did at least)

Clio RS 172
i did try looking for a budgie in there but had no luck yet :s

Well i had someone put the grease on the belts and thats what stopped it, ive had a lil read around today about the dephaser and it seems like its a common fault in 172 and 182's, might be a good idea if i just take it to a guy i know at a garage to sort it, hope it dont involve changing the cam belt though :s

what did you do to sort it adam?

clio 172
if it the dephaser pulley it will sound like a diesel engine on idel. you will need to change the cam belt as well. My dephaser pulley went at christmas last year, dephaser pulley £123, cam belt kit £100, aux belt kit £120, Changed water pump £30, labour £275. Not cheap i did'nt stop crying for a week! lol

Clio RS 172
ahh i see :( does'nt sound too good, hopefully its not because i just spent 600 quid in May sorting the bearings and the brakes on it!

I would say its not sounding liek a diesel at the moment, its a really odd sound, never heard it on any other car before

CLIO PH1 172
As above I new my belts were all due to be done so got the dephaser done at same time its it runs perfect now with no noises !