ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 vs 182

Hi,

New to the clio scene and just looking some advice.

Im sure this topic has been covered many times but I cant find it!

Thinks of trying one of these clio sports to see what all the fuss is about, after owning a type-r I am unsure if they will live up to all the hype.

First of all can someone tell me whats the differences between a 172 and 182 apart from 10bhp!

Also is there a buys guide and what problems should I look out for, best spec ect. any advice would be great! :S

vers le haut doigt milieu
ecu and exhaust manifolds are the difference.
However the 182 comes with cruise control tc etc, if your gonna buy a 172 aim to get a 2003 or younger as thats the year they added those luxarys. Even tho some people say the ph1 is quicker I wouldnt buy one due to the dash board being ugly. If you buy a clio buy a warenty as the 1st things to go wrong will be electrical.

MCS R56
More like 5 bhp. Not many differences in cars apart from wheels and exhaust.

Best 182 is the Trophy and best 172 is the Cup, imo. Same performance as Type R but more kart-like in terms of handling. Great feedback and grip.

123D Coupe + MK1 MX5
Jesus Christ If you lined ALL the RS models up in a straight line and raced them over a mile....

There would be about 3 ball hairs of a gap between any given car....

f**k sake.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Did he ask which was fastest ;)

near as makes no difference between em

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
172 Cup is the fastest................................................... ;)

clio 172
i got a 172 cup and also my mate got one as well its the quickest car in my group and we also got a 182 and a 197 and we piss over them all day long

MCS R56
Jesus Christ If you lined ALL the RS models up in a straight line and raced them over a mile....

There would be about 3 ball hairs of a gap between any given car....

f**k sake.

Jesus drives a Clio? Wow!

Dry your eyes mate. And you are wrong.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I've had a 182, a Trophy, 2 Ph2 172's, and a ph1 172. Only mistake I ever made was selling my ph2 172 for the 182. The 182 handles a bit better, is no faster, looks worse (my hatred for the wheel barrow exhaust grows and grows). Looking at current prices, a 182 costs about a grand more than a 172 on similar miles age. Spend a grand on the 172 (coilovers) and it's a better car than the 182.

MCS R56
I've had a 182, a Trophy, 2 Ph2 172's, and a ph1 172. Only mistake I ever made was selling my ph2 172 for the 182. The 182 handles a bit better, is no faster, looks worse (my hatred for the wheel barrow exhaust grows and grows). Looking at current prices, a 182 costs about a grand more than a 172 on similar miles age. Spend a grand on the 172 (coilovers) and it's a better car than the 182.

Do it! Get a Cup!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

Do it! Get a Cup!
Got a ph1 on AST coilovers. Ph-quick has never been more apt.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Imo I would say the one with the quicker engine is going to win when it comes to straight line speed. I've read on here a good few times how they get quicker with millage........
I've also kept up with a cup in mine when I've had a play with one. And thats before we start on it being down to the driver.....

MCS R56
Imo I would say the one with the quicker engine is going to win when it comes to straight line speed. I've read on here a good few times how they get quicker with millage........
I've also kept up with a cup in mine when I've had a play with one. And thats before we start on it being down to the driver.....

Quite believe it but the lighter car will also have the advantage.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

True put the same good engine in the cup and it should technically be quicker. Maybe it helps being a 10 stone light weight like me that helps too:D .
On anything other than a straight road I would say it mainly comes down to the driver.

MCS R56

True put the same good engine in the cup and it should technically be quicker. Maybe it helps being a 10 stone light weight like me that helps too:D .
On anything other than a straight road I would say it mainly comes down to the driver.

Indeed. I was karting last weekend and going up against a friend who is about 5 stone lighter than me. The difference on the straights was amazing. And frustrating! I'm glad there were a few others of similar weight to me!

B

Bucko

It all boils down to what you can afford and what you like the look of. I'm sure that after a couple hours on the internet you could learn enough about the style/cost/performance differences between the models to make a decision for yourself.

A Flamin' Red one

But the if the Driver in the Cup is a fat b*****d and you in the 172 are a skinny minny, that theory starts to edge its seat closer to the window...

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
just go out there and find a tidy example. doesnt matter which one....

just make your mind up of you want luxurys or not??? if not there is only one choice...... imo of course

Clio 172 mk2
Go for the best car you can afford regardless of age or model

IMO 172 better looking than 182

Mk2 172
Get a 182 cos it looks like a wheelbarrow from behind. Thats what my mate says anyway!!! Tos*er lol

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
This ain't no can of worms. He wants to know the difference.

172 Cup is fastest

There there my boy, no need to get your wee panties in a twist.

I love how defensive everyone gets on here about there cars, it makes it worth while coming on here.

Whilst we are on the subject do you really know how much difference there is between, oh i dont know, lets say a 172 Cup and well my Phase 1 172 per say...

Right so if we go by what the book says then our cup will do 0-60 in 6.7, my Ph1 will do it in 7 flat.

That makes your cup 0.3 seconds faster than my Phase 1, so not even half a second. Thats not a snap of the fingers mate, so if on the right day in the right conditions, my Phase one could well be quicker than a 172 Cup.

Do you always beleive what you read on paper?:eek:

Regards.

I

invisible man

This ain't no can of worms. He wants to know the difference.

172 Cup is fastest

There there my boy, no need to get your wee panties in a twist.

I love how defensive everyone gets on here about there cars, it makes it worth while coming on here.

Whilst we are on the subject do you really know how much difference there is between, oh i dont know, lets say a 172 Cup and well my Phase 1 172 per say...

Right so if we go by what the book says then our cup will do 0-60 in 6.7, my Ph1 will do it in 7 flat.

That makes your cup 0.3 seconds faster than my Phase 1, so not even half a second. Thats not a snap of the fingers mate, so if on the right day in the right conditions, my Phase one could well be quicker than a 172 Cup.

Do you always beleive what you read on paper?:eek:

Regards.
I thought the 172 cup was supposed to be a better handling car, so if you combine 0-60 + better handling surely that must = a quicker car overall. But I am no expert on Clio's as my cup is my first experience with Renault. All I will comment on the subject is that I am currently getting 37mpg out of the cup with an average speed of 56mph:D

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
172 cup is the nicest lookin...But needs Xenon's and AC imo.

182 trophy is ok, but again needs xenon's.