ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 vs A3 1.8 T (1998)

Black Ph2 172
Hey guys,

A friend of mine has just bought a 1998 A3 1.8 T and is pretty confident that it will keep up with my 172 (std apart from K-Tec Stealth back box). I am pretty sure it won't be much competition - what do you think?

Andy

172 ph1
"The 1.8 litre water-cooled, four-cylinder, 20-valve double overhead cam (DOHC) intercooled turbo engine has a maximum output of 110 kW \@ 5700 rpm.
The A3 1.8T has a top speed of around 217 km/h and accelerates from 0 - 100 km/h in just 8.1 seconds."

The 1.8T in the S3 has 225hp, gets to 100km/h in 6.2s, so it depends on whether his 1.8T is modified or not

I'm guessing he needs to be at around 190hp?

S3, Polo
IIRC, in standard form, it'll have 180bhp in a car that weighs about 1300kg.

Clio should edge it.

But it depends if it's been tweaked.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Very little needed for 200 BHP on the A3 1.8T's

Remove cat and weld into place a straight through pipe. Then send ECU to ...

http://www.carevolution.co.uk/audi.php ( £299 )

This will add about 45 - 50 hp on the standard engine. The decat about 5 - 10hp.

Driven an Audi a3 with these mods and a 172 wouldnt stand a chance

Clio 182
roffle @ the care-police...

Will you find it funny if a member of your family ends up like this because 2 cars are racing in the street and they hit their vehicle?

2907893.jpg

A ANIMAL
Will you find it funny if a member of your family ends up like this because 2 cars are racing in the street and they hit their vehicle?

2907893.jpg

I am obviously not saying it's "cool" to race. Afterall I'm sure you have never broken the speed limit/driven entuhusiasticly/overtaken etc...

Renaultsport 200

2907893.jpg

Although I agree being a d1ck on the road is wrong, the only person who has mentioned street racing is you, so wind your neck in.

Insignia SRi
My step dad has a 180bhp 1.8T TT and I just pull away from it in a straight line and my 172 made 161.9hp on the rolling road yesterday so the weight kills the TTs performance!!!

Clio 172
all you need is to get the 1.8t engines remapped, they can go upto 260bhp easily!

Both cars standard i think the clio will do it!

Clio 182
Although I agree being a d1ck on the road is wrong, the only person who has mentioned street racing is you, so wind your neck in.

Ok then, let's assume that the twisties that everyone mentions in this thread are in the Nürburgring ...
Don't know who is kidding who though.

I am off to read a more mature thread.

TT 225+
Ok then, let's assume that the twisties that everyone mentions in this thread are in the Nürburgring ...
Don't know who is kidding who though.

I am off to read a more mature thread.

since when has there ever been a mature thread?? lol

Focus RS mk1
ive kept level with a remapped ibiza cupra which was over 210bhp, mines modded to, there was absolutly nuthin in it up to 1££

Tav

Clio 197
all you need is to get the 1.8t engines remapped, they can go upto 260bhp easily!

Both cars standard i think the clio will do it!

No they don't...the 150bhp versions only get near 200bhp with a remap, beyond that you start to need the parts from the 225bhp versions..i.e new downpipe, larger turbo etc. etc.

My friend has a Ibiza Cupra with the 156bhp version of the engine. It should be around 200bhp now. It's awful, drives like a diesel. Huge slug of low down torque and absolutely no top end sparkle, you need to change up at around 5500-6000rpm, dull dull dull. It's a lot lighter than an A3 I'd suspect and isn't any faster than a 182/Integra Type R...so I can't see an A3 standing much chance.

The 180bhp version would yeild much extra performance thanks to lugging around 4wd and extra equipment. S3 on the other hand would be too quick in a straight line I'd think.