ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 vs BMW @ Combe today

Status
Not open for further replies.
  FF Blackgold 182
That meggy 250 was a right mess. 11 plate. We were up at Quarry when it happened. He just drove off as well, didn't even check to see if there were any fluids pouring out. We saw that 306 as well, but we were down at Camp Corner when he was out. As he was going round the corner, his drivers side rear wheel was probably a good 1.5 ft off the tarmac and it looked like the suspension on the nearside front had collapsed....for 3 laps!

Gutted for Dan though. :-( We were walking back down from quarry when it happened and it looked like a very big impact! Glad everyone got out ok, but the beemer driver should accept responsibility from what I saw and have heard.

Last edited:

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Proper trackdays are the safest. I challenge anyone to have a crash at an open pit lane day at Bedford. (Mechanical failure not included)

The day long trackdays attract people who are genuinely interested in trackdays and learning to drive fast.

Action days/ Trax are for a £30, "watch this" type drivers who want to show off infront of there friends and normally run out of talent doing so.

Obviously not everyone is like that but that's the general styles of both days IMHO

I agree.

I still like the action days though TBH. If my Clio was fixed I would have been out on track yesterday.

182cup & 172 racecar
So which trackdays would be good for someone who's never been on track before,
and doesn't want his car smashed to bits but tw*ts?

Bit scared now tbh, just when i'm start thinking it's a good idea I hear stories like this.

​The Burpspeed Llandow day. Just perfect for you Dave.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
​The Burpspeed Llandow day. Just perfect for you Dave.

Agreed. Get it booked now before it fills up!

epic little track, especially if it rains and the driving standards (especially consideration for others) on the burpspeed days are normally great in my experience. Plus if you do get unlucky and have a bump its probably going to be at something like 30 not best part of 100 like Combe.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Lol @ anyone thinking that was anything other than a joke considering dan is one of my best mates, I'd have literally been in tears if it had been him dead not the car.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Was good to have a quick chat Dan genuinely gutted for you as wasn't sure if it was you or Josh.. (Who owes me a passenger pass still ;) )

As has been said by others (except Chip :p ) at least your both ok bar the aches and pains!

Everyone who says about these days only being about have a go hero's yeah maybe but to me that's half the fun!

Ok granted my car is worth far more in parts than it is now but that's because I know I wouldn't be crying myself to sleep if I binned it as long as I walked away.

Can't afford to lose it don't track it.

Driving standards seem pretty similar to the last few years although being in a 1.6 MX5, 2.8litre A4's and Pulsars seemed to take offence to moving out of the way so some slightly more aggressive driving than usual is sometimes needed compared to normal days.

I spent nearly as much yesterday as I would doing a full trackday but would still do it again as the variety of cars and driving ability is never seen on a regular trackday!

Glad to hear you're ok Dan.

Ironically things seemed much better this year, even though it was much busier than previous years. Less idiots in cars that are barely roadworthy (Sierra and a few other excepted), and overall less incidents, just a shame they were biggies and will clearly get more coverage on here as they were Renaultsports.

Still, there is a reason Combe Action Days draw bigger crowds than most UK Club Series...

Is it wrong that I'm a little bit happy that I no longer have a car twin around here and that my car is now a little rarer lol.

Ok serious as I already said to you I'm gutted for, just as you get it up and running that happens. I'd of been distraught.

Glad you and Vikki are ok.

​Oh, I also like I now have washer blanks too lol ;)

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Look at the stickers on that BMW...tool.

At the last trackday I did at Anglesey there were four offs, a bellend in his first Westfield outing and three heros in BMWs. I love doing trackdays but the total disregard for others is a worry.

TTRS, 172 Cup track
damn looked nasty. If pain continues maybe a checkup at the hospital if not already done so is in order?

Stuff like this is exactly why ive bought a clio cup, would hate to be in the megane drivers shoes right now. Alot of cash to throw down the toilet for 15 mins of "fun".

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
damn looked nasty. If pain continues maybe a checkup at the hospital if not already done so is in order?

Stuff like this is exactly why ive bought a clio cup, would hate to be in the megane drivers shoes right now. Alot of cash to throw down the toilet for 15 mins of "fun".

Agreed. Although for all we know that Megane might have cost him a weeks wages and effectively owe him less In real terms than dans cup owed him. Lol.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Someone here saw it happen:
http://www.evoowners.co.uk/35/castle-combe-spring-action-day-27th-10410-37.html#post151317

Originally Posted by JakeMac
Any one acually see the crash between the red bmw and the blue clio? I saw the clio impact the tyre wall and fly up 10ft in the air but didnt really see what caused it, hope they were ok
Ye we saw it and I've piccys. The blue Clio tried dam hard to avoid it but the BMW took him out.

I think 10ft is a bit of an exaggeration though. Lol.

When I was last out at Rockingham (International Long), I had some hero in a Cup racer running slicks decide it would be good idea to undertake me on the entry to turn 4. I had to take evasive action, and nearly binned it into the wall at 100mph+. s**t my f**king pants! Pitted, put in a complaint, only to hear that several other people had also had issues with this guy. Apparently he was then warned. An hour later his Clio came into the pits on the back of a wagon, all covered in s**t and looking like a ball of crumpled tin foil. LOL!

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)
I feel bad for him, but he was going f'ing quick on a wet track with a passenger which is a bit silly. If he has no track insurance then he was being even more silly.

He gets close to the grass, but does he actually touch it before it lets go? Quite an odd accident, if I didn't know it was a Megane I would say it was a RWD car by the way it comes around on lift off.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I feel bad for him, but he was going f'ing quick on a wet track with a passenger which is a bit silly. If he has no track insurance then he was being even more silly.

He gets close to the grass, but does he actually touch it before it lets go? Quite an odd accident, if I didn't know it was a Megane I would say it was a RWD car by the way it comes around on lift off.

wet track?

It wasnt wet, I was out at the same time and it was dry.

and fwd lift over oversteer more than rear normally as so much weight is already forward due to the engine and box layout.

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)
wet track?

It wasnt wet, I was out at the same time and it was dry.

and fwd lift over oversteer more than rear normally as so much weight is already forward due to the engine and box layout.

It's dry? Oh okay, watching at work without full screen, so I mistook the dark ground for a wet track.

I know FWD is renowned for lift off, but he barely had any lock on. This was basically in a straight line. I've seen many a video where a RWD car lifting off over a crest will create the situation above.

I still can't see how the over steer was caused. The previous corner was a right, did he just massively over correct it?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It's dry? Oh okay, watching at work without full screen, so I mistook the dark ground for a wet track.

I know FWD is renowned for lift off, but he barely had any lock on. This was basically in a straight line. I've seen many a video where a RWD car lifting off over a crest will create the situation above.

I still can't see how the over steer was caused. The previous corner was a right, did he just massively over correct it?

My best guess:
Car had slight moment, he reached into bag of talent, it was empty, he dialled wrong amount of lock on.

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)
My best guess:
Car had slight moment, he reached into bag of talent, it was empty, he dialled wrong amount of lock on.

Something like that. Would love to see a video with correct sound, it sounds like he did a lot of steering!

I must add actually, that whilst I met 1 **** end in a BMW, I did meet 2 people who more than made up for it.

I approached 2 people who had a flat bed who weren't far from the OPD stand, and asked if they were heading in my direction. infortunatly they weren't however, They very kindly offered to take the car as far as avonmouth and store it there for me until I was able to collect it today.

So without them, I'd have been stuck with a car at combe that I couldnt collect by the time they needed.

So If By anychance anyone knows the 2 people who were there with a Driveforce UK Truck, that was who helped me. Didnt even want anything for storage of it in their businesses yard. I did Drop them a case of lager as a token of my appreciation.

Just shows that the car culture can bring people together, admittedly, I experinced both meanings of coming together in 1 day.

Status
Not open for further replies.