ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 vs Cooper S

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired
We have a 172FF and a cooper s in the household and i would say there is nothing in it if its straight line but when it comes to back roads,the mini out handles the 172 imo and that IS pushing them both hard on the same stretch of back road.

id rather have the clio!! cheaper and more fun!

my ex had a cooper s and although it was quite a capable car, the understeer on it was awfull. maybe it was cos im used to rear wheel drive cars, but the bloody thing wouldnt go where i pointed it.

in a race to 100 the clio would win, however that cooper s works gp is like 5 seconds faster than a 172 0-100.

Clio 172 Cup
We have a 172 cup and cooper s in household and i would defo say 172 has the edge. Mini is far nicer to drive though.

In my experience the Cooper S isn't massively quick in a straight line. I've been able to make up ground on a couple. Not too hard to reel them in after 70 or 80mph.

Oh and LOL at a GP being 5 seconds quicker to 100? 12 seconds???

Audi TT 3.2 V6
surely it would take alot more power than that to make a car 4 seconds faster to 100?

M

Mattystan

i work for renault and we have a mini cooper s super charged in at the moment and i think its awrfull dosent feel as fast as the 172/182 at all and i personaly dont like the car at all. clio 172/182 all the way

182 Cup
The only 'all things equal' race I had with a Cooper S was at Santa Pod, I've just had a look about for the timing slip - I got a 15.233 at 90.37mph, the Mini came in (second thankfully) with 15.761 at 90.20mph. So not a lot in it really. I know these times aren't definative as times can easily drop with experience, but at least I can honestly say we were both going for it!

05 IO 182 cup
i came from a cooper S and prefer the drive of the 1*2 TBH.the S is a nice drive but found that i had to screw it a little bit in order to get any serious progression out of it - thirsty little fekkers as well. i was putting 15 quid in every other day - i did drive it hard though but 24 to 26 MPG was a bit of a b**ch and that was taking it easy.nice supercharger whine,handled like a go kart but a bit on the lardy side.and i do miss the milltek on the mini !!

1*2s are more focused drivers cars IME :) but miss the build quality of the mini !

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
i work for renault and we have a mini cooper s super charged in at the moment and i think its awrfull dosent feel as fast as the 172/182 at all and i personaly dont like the car at all. clio 172/182 all the way

Course it won't feel as fast, the power delivery is very linear given the supercharger