ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 vs Cup

Black R26, Iceburg 172
I know this subject is much debated on the site but im hoping for non-biased opinions based on peoples experiences. It will help me alot as im looking to buy a 172. Has anyone driven both a 172 and a Cup and is prepared to give an sensible opinion? Are the differences noticeable? Thanks and i hope this doesn't spark more arguments lol!

172 Cup
Owned both cars. On the road there's next to no differance at all but I prefer the look of the Cup.

Black R26, Iceburg 172
Yeah i have to agree they do look better. Are the seats more/less comfortable? Not bothered about the lack of air con as dont really need it in this country anyway.

172 Cup
Stevie9 said:
Yeah i have to agree they do look better. Are the seats more/less comfortable? Not bothered about the lack of air con as dont really need it in this country anyway.

Same seats as the 172 just a different fabric covering so same level of comfort.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Driven 172, Owned 172 Cup, Driven 182.

Performance - identical
Residuals - identical
Fun factor - identical
Spec - varying (182 and 172 FF editions higher spec)

From a Civic Type R owner. :)

Black R26, Iceburg 172
DarthCake said:
Driven 172, Owned 172 Cup, Driven 182.

Performance - identical
Residuals - identical
Fun factor - identical
Spec - varying (182 and 172 FF editions higher spec)

From a Civic Type R owner. :)

Thanks thats a good clear response! i was looking at getting a std 172 and i just needed to know if i would regret getting one if i tried the Cup. If there is no noticeable difference il go for the std.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
get the best of both worlds :

22_02.gif

my 172 with Cup wheels, splitter, spoiler, Eibach Pro springs.

cock mobile.
Stevie9 said:
What sort of difference in your opinion?

Well I've never owned a FF 172, but when you drive a FF for some reason it just doesn't feel quite the same beast, it just seems well............. softer.

The Cup gives me a bigger smile, it just seems to have that 'edge' at least it did for me!

Plus the Cup looks far nicer.

Go drive both and make your own mind up, because this is a long debated subject and basically comes down to personal choice.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
Gareth said:

22_02.gif

But it still weighs more than the bismark....the cups 80kg weight saving is what marks it out as the best mk2 clio...

VaVa
But with turinis (which save about 5kg/wheel!) and no spare that deficit is down below 50kg.... which is about a full tank of fuel..... Although the Cup will always feel that little bit sharper due to the suspension set up etc. Like Gareth says, it's a compromise. I wanted the looks of a Cup with the toys of teh 172... It's quite considerably cheaper to make an FF look like a Cup than spec a Cup up to FF standard!! I wonder how much Renault would charge for Cruise Control, Xenons, Leather, Climate etc?

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
5kg a wheel?? you been smoking the too much of the green son;)

stnd wheels are circa 10kgs each I imagine...and there is no way a 16'' turini is 5kg...

tiTTy & SV650
CTR, S3 far quicker cars which handle much better :evil:

:rolleyes: just to heat up what will become a spilled can of worms lol

VaVa
Notorious said:
5kg a wheel?? you been smoking the too much of the green son;)

stnd wheels are circa 10kgs each I imagine...and there is no way a 16'' turini is 5kg...

My 172 spare was 15kg with a tyre on. My turini spare is 10 and a bit. The scales I used are not ISO9002 but they're accurate enough!

I am in the same position. Much prefer the look of the cup but the interior is absymal compared to the FF. Might go for a 172 and whack some bucket seats in. The alcatara seats in the FF are in a different league to the cup seats, but the exterior of the cup doesn't half make up for it :D

Turbos.
I am actually driving my cousins Cuo for the next few days and have driven it many a time. It is noticeably quicker than the 172. It's more lively too, depending on how you view it, it's either more entertaining or more nervous.

At the end of the day 80kg is massive, my girlfriend only weighs about 8.5 stone and i always want to kick her out because the car feels worse.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Gareth said:

22_02.gif

DSC00736.jpg

Defo the best of both worlds.

And he's right turini's are 14kg's std is 18kg. Inc a spare that 30kg saved.

There's nout in it.

Black R26, Iceburg 172
According to the specifications, the ph1 172 was 1035kg and then ph 2 1090kg, compared to the Cups 1021kg. Same engine in the phase 1 with all the extras and only 14kg heavier than the cup. Therefore there cant be much difference between the ph 1 and Cup apart from the suspension and handling set up. Please correct me if im wrong!

cock mobile.
Stevie9 said:
According to the specifications, the ph1 172 was 1035kg and then ph 2 1090kg, compared to the Cups 1021kg. Same engine in the phase 1 with all the extras and only 14kg heavier than the cup. Therefore there cant be much difference between the ph 1 and Cup apart from the suspension and handling set up. Please correct me if im wrong!

Weight wise that sounds about right, depends if the PH1 you get has an aluminium bonnet or not as well (some do, some don't).

There's a couple of other minor difference as well, like mk2 172s have fly by wire etc.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
lol @ Rory :)

I think whats been said is right, the 172 does seem softer than the Cup, but if you get a 182 with cup pack then it feels about the same.

I've got a 182 cup pack all this week and its just like having a well specced 172 Cup. Not a whole lot in it. The difference is marginal so I'd just go with what you prefer colour/toy wise.

Black R26, Iceburg 172
Are the fly by wire and throttle cables actually much different or is it all in the mind?

Burgandy 174 sport t
its all alot of b****cks, cup has a better colour and a splitter thats it imo, in sayin that when I look out the window and see mine scrap the colour comment oh and I also see a splitter there too, a cup is goin no where fast either its also less specced than a dynamique ffs. I know what I would buy for the same money

VaVa
Stevie9 said:

The gear ratios are differnt in the ph1 172. Hence why the ph2 is pretty identical speed wise due to shoreter gear ratios and the Cup is the quickest of the lot - Just not by as much as some might have you believe

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
sh33n said:
I guess if you're like 90 you might want a burgundy car ^

Cheeky b*****d, once your bored of ur cereal box toy i'll let you have a shot of the FF cup. ;)

cock mobile.
Ali said:
Cheeky b*****d, once your bored of ur cereal box toy i'll let you have a shot of the FF cup. ;)

LOL, maybe I should get some Cup badges for mine?

Maybe fake mine up to look better :evil:

:rasp: lol.

that silver 172 with the cup wheels looks fooking amazing that is what i want mine to look like sublt but awesome anyway i had a cup and now have a mk2 172 and to be honest i prefere my mk2 with the extra gadgets and overall enjoyment it just does not justify the difference with the on the road speed try and count 0.3 of a second and it just does not compute the cup looks far the better with the colour wheels and spoiler etc but the interior is pretty god dam aweful no climate no disc changer no abs no nice leather interior BUT the cup felt more responsive through the corners so it has got to be a definate draw....the thing is mate is that renault just aint reliable two identical cars could be 10 or 15 bhp apart and still tell you the car has 172bhp!!! go and try them for yourself mate

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
the ff may way more, but personally its worth it. Leather, Xenons, Air Con, ABS, Engine Cover (engine looks w@nk without it IMHO). Once the Turinis are on the turn in is much improved anyway.

God there are some knobs on this forum. We all know that opinions are divided regarding performance versus toys, but the performance isnt up or debate unless you're in denial, as many of you seem to be. Apples for apples, the Cup and FF are 171 & 154bhp/ton respectively. Thats before you even factor in the nimble factor, and the sorted suspension.

The Cup might only be 5% better in performance terms, but if you're buying criteria is peformance then that's all one needs to know. If you prefer a balance then I'd say the FF is the better buy. This is obvious stuff to anyone who went to school, and has been debated a million times, but please lets not pretend there isnt a performance gap, because only a r****d would think there isnt.

Big Iain said:
I must be the r****d

Same car on an 80kg diet with a more sorted suspension. You think it isnt even slightly better in dynamic terms? You didnt go to racing school I take it? Remember that dynamics is all I'm talking about.

Burgandy 174 sport t
more sorted? whats supposed stiffer springs? eibachs sportlines, thats that one sorted, wider offset on the wheels thats that one sorted too? lose the spare and yer fat pal and theres f**k all in it except the cup has he haw in it