ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 with mods vs std cooper s

Mk4 .:R32
Ok, so my 172, soon to have decat, exhaust, cams, remap, BMC CDA with CAF, just wondering would it beat a std cooper s in a straight line??

My missus is getting a cooper s and I wanna know I could beat her if we had a little tussle lol!!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
You'd beat the cooper standard! (just...... in a lardy 172;)) Cooper S have 160 hp

White Sti Hatch
Let her tyres down the night before you tell her mate then youll win !

Id say yours would win but some one else will be able to tell you if im right or prob wrong lol

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
surely that would have about 200bhp? nail it i would say!

clio sport
no worrys mate quick little car but the clio is quicker i had a mess around with one in my rs1 and its only got a panel filter and exaust and i upset him ha ha

I reckon probably 190 bhp with those mods which isn't too shabby. I hope she doesn't tune the cooper s :( lol

Black 197
You would whip even the revised Cooper S from 2004 which has 170 bhp. (supercharged still) I dont know if you have ever driven one but they are very tame. It gives good power delivery but its only like half the 5k kick of the renault engines but all the way through its powerband. A tuned up one, even with just a remap is a different matter though.... Its on a par with my 197, but it the mini keeps going after 125...... I should imagine with your mods it would be a lot quicker than a 197 so you might stand a chance against a modded mini. I speak from experience.

Mazda RX8
Simular when there both standard but obviously yours would win with the mods, although £495 spent at Lohen and she would have 210horses.

Is your misses getting a supercharged S or a new Turbo S?

The supercharged one. We both think the turbo looks ghey!!

Yeah one of my mates took his cooper s to GTT and spent about 1000, and now has 229 horses :(

I think the cooper s sounds gash standard though, I hate the noise of the supercharger.

Trophy #473
lol at some of these replys, in the real world 3 cars lenghts, in the twistys the mini is just as good if not better and there wont be much in it tbh. A member of my family has one, hence my reply.

Trophy #473
we're talking std for std right? In reality on a B road, there would be nothing to right home about, 0-100 3 cars lenghts, I do doubt very much my clio is slow ;)

Black 197
I think the thread got lost, he was quizzing std mini v modded clio. I suppose it comes down to individual drivers, tyres the minis run on, spec of the mini (they get very heavy with all the extras) we can only speak of our experiences. I think it wouldbe fair to summarise a modded clio would be better on twisties and straight roads up to a certain speed. If they mod the mini, no chance

Trophy #473
didnt read correctly, sorry. yes modified clio would pull a good way ahead.
fryingpan.gif

Mazda RX8
The supercharged one. We both think the turbo looks ghey!!

Yeah one of my mates took his cooper s to GTT and spent about 1000, and now has 229 horses :(

I think the cooper s sounds gash standard though, I hate the noise of the supercharger.

Turbo (R56) has certainly been given some mixed reactions :D

Love the supercharger whine (enhanced even more with an Alta CAI)...think its a bit like marmite...love it or hate it.

Mates S with Alta and Magnaflow exhaust (excuse someones dodgy laugh :D ).....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNmW9sBIj1U

Can see this being expensive if your both competative about who has the most power and quickest car :D

renault clio 172
i've had a tussle with a cooper s and wiped the floor with it. and mines standard. mind you if its a mini cooper s works then your in trouble.:)

RenaultSport clio 172 CUP
You would whip even the revised Cooper S from 2004 which has 170 bhp. (supercharged still) I dont know if you have ever driven one but they are very tame. It gives good power delivery but its only like half the 5k kick of the renault engines but all the way through its powerband. A tuned up one, even with just a remap is a different matter though.... Its on a par with my 197, but it the mini keeps going after 125...... I should imagine with your mods it would be a lot quicker than a 197 so you might stand a chance against a modded mini. I speak from experience.

I thought the 197 was slower than 172???

Black 197
Ive posed this question on here and owners who went up against 197's have stated there wasnt anything in it out on the open road.I personally thought my old 172 was quicker,but then I also thought it was quicker than the 225TT i replaced it with, but it wasnt, by a fair bit. My 197 is now on nearly 3k, running it religiously on 99RON keeping an eye on tyre pressures, and its starting to feel as quick as the 172 did. Its just keeping it in the power band.The 197 is quicker than a std 170 cooper S (tested) but as Im sure owners will tell you because of its size,quietness, lack of torque it just doesnt feel fast,until you look at the speedo

Torque figures always play a massive part in how a car "feels" quicker. My mate has an astra SRI turbo which feels faster than my 172, but in reality they are the same 0-60

From what I've heard I should have 195 bhp + with the cams etc which is good and would beat a std cooper s with ease.

Black 197
yes mate I agree,its like driving a vw with the 130 diesel engine.You think "f**k me thats quick" but you look at the speedo and you aint moving. Its all the torque.Im considering an RS remap to add that bit more low down,then it might just feel that bit quicker. The cooper S is a prime example of that again. Lotsof torque, silly whine,but just aint quick

My mums got a cooper s and was behind my step dad who was drivin it the other wk n he was desperatly tryin to loose me in my standard ph2 172 but no chance i was having to back of a bit when coming out of roundabouts. Would say that at higher speeds the cooper has got more left to give. Have to admit the cooper s does sound better as well, really nice deep tone from the exhaust, pops as well when backing off or cruising through town.

Mazda RX8
yes mate I agree,its like driving a vw with the 130 diesel engine.You think "f**k me thats quick" but you look at the speedo and you aint moving. Its all the torque.Im considering an RS remap to add that bit more low down,then it might just feel that bit quicker. The cooper S is a prime example of that again. Lotsof torque, silly whine,but just aint quick

Each to there own on the supercharger whine, I actually prefer it to the same old 4 cyl N/A induction roar (not that there is anything wrong with N/A)
Id certainly say that 172, 182, 197 also "aint quick" if the Cooper S (supercharged or Turbo) "aint quick" when performance wise they are all quite closely matched. Personally I like them all in there own ways :)

Last edited:
  Mazda RX8
Hey not trying to have a go mate, just thought that "aint quick" was a bit harsh, differnt opnions/expieriances I guess.
The 172/182 is a lil bit quicker than the 163/170 Cooper S, any run ins Ive ever had its always been pretty evenly matched.

Was the S you tested the 197 against one of the supercharged ones?
Be interesting to put them all on an airfield 172/cup 182/cup/Trophy 197 -163 Cooper S - 170 Cooper S - 200 S Works - 210 S Works - 175 S (Turbo) and the soon to be 192 S Works ... anyway :D back to reality how are you finding the 197 in comparisson to the 172?

Black 197
I apologise for being snappy... the Cooper S I refer to is a 170 Supercharged. The problem with my change from 172 to 197 was that there was a 225 TT in the middle for 8 months! I kind of got used to quality with the TT, so I do feel that I have gained in quality with the 197, better materials, quieter, bigger etc, but it doesnt feel as quick, however I do think it is as quick when you actually take notice of the speedo, and think back to certain roads I used to use in my 172. However my 197 is starting with a few niggly faults, just wish I could take it to audi to let them look at it. That line up you mentioned sounds excellent. My money would be on the new 192 Turbo Cooper S I think

Mazda RX8
Yep the Mini's have there fair share of niggles too...theres also a 230-240 S works on the way...am sure Renault will pull something else out of the bag in the not so distant future too :)

Anyway..best not hijack the thread :D ....but I would defo say the tuned 172 would be quicker than the standard S :)

182,200sx s14a,Discovery
I raced my mates standard cooper s and i have a standard 182, me and my passenger are 14st each, my mate in the cooper s is 11st, both had 1/4 tank of fuel and straight line drag from 10mph rolling in 2nd the clio pulled constantly in every gear away from the cooper s, reckon i was 1 car length at end of 2nd gear, couple more at end of 3rd. I was shifting about 6500rpm.

Black 197
I guess it all comes down to what the 197 cup is gonna be like. I think weight loss isnt enough. New gearing or lower power band

Mazda RX8
Yep the Mini's have there fair share of niggles too...theres also a 230-240 S works on the way...am sure Renault will pull something else out of the bag in the not so distant future too :)

Anyway..best not hijack the thread :D ....but I would defo say the tuned 172 would be quicker than the standard S :)

make that 212bhp for the new S works when its launched..240 was a bit optomistic :D....although its only 2bhp more than the outgoing supercharged works im sure it will be a fair bit quicker as the new standard turbo S is almost as quick as the old works. :)