ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 young person insurance

FN2 Type R GT
Hi guys,

Want to get a 172 but am only 17, obviously i wont get one yet but when do you guys think is the earliest i could get one, im thinking 18/19 as am on my parents insurance atm an pay £400 for my 1.2, would have to wait till the insurance would be about £800 ish.

Cheers

Mondeo ST220
your gonna be waiting a few years especially if your not building up your own no claims at the moment. i'd suggest trying to get insurance in your own name and get a couple of years no claims behind you because even at 18/19 if you have 0 ncb your insurance will be high!

mini cooper (RIP 172)
Hi guys,

Want to get a 172 but am only 17, obviously i wont get one yet but when do you guys think is the earliest i could get one, im thinking 18/19 as am on my parents insurance atm an pay £400 for my 1.2, would have to wait till the insurance would be about £800 ish.

Cheers

£800 will be about when ur 21;)

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
@ 19 you will still be looking at 2000+

@ 20 i was paying 1500ish

now 21 675

my advice wait till 21 lol

iceburg 172
i am 19 and own a 172, all in all pretty pricey so as said unless u earn quile a bit wait till your about 21... still i have no regrets wot so ever

FN2 Type R GT
cheers guys! looks as if ill be waiting a while, id like my own insurance but its so pricy to start at 17, my bro got his CTR at 21 so guess ill get my 172 then, although by that time the 182's shud be cheap...ish!

MINI Cooper S
I am 19 now (20 next april) and i have 2 years no claims, i go into the 4th year of my apprenticeship in september so will be on a good mint then... i will be buying a cliosport later this year, or early next year hopefully... probs will be looking at around £2k insurance... but i will be able to afford it :)

Clio 172 Cup
You obviously have a bit of money. Start your own NCB and then when you get 21 you can get reasonable insurance.

172 at 17/18. There is no way I would let my kids drive a car of that power at that age, one way trip to the morgue.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I had my 172 at 19. was 1400
20 - 1097
21 - 791
21 - Vee - 891 for 10 months.
21 - willy 321 on SAGA! LOL, my old man took it on and put me as a named driver!

J03

MX5 1.8
4k, simple as

unless you go under as a named driver still would set you back around 2k

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
at 19 with 3ncb and 3 points i have had quotes of £1200, thats with admiral/bell/elephant lot.

however at 18 with 2ncb it was £5k with the same companies....

may aswell wait mate, the longer you leave it the better. the way i see it is a 172/182 is one of the fastest decent cars you can buy for a limited amount of money, so when you get bored of it in a year you will have to go older, insurance repaired, very unreliable or converted to go much faster etc, and if you'r only 18/19 when you do you'll be dissapointed!

just my thoughts, wait until you are 21 and buy one outright.

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
you need to earn a packet not just to buy one and insure it but also running it, you fule economy would be shocking compaired to the 1.2, tyres, servicing anything that goes wrong is basically gonna cost you more.
you might find that alot of companies wont touch you witha barge pole, especially for a 2 litre hot hatch,
god i got nock backs for my 1.6 laguna sport, I was named under me dad, and was £600 fully comp, but decided to build a ncb. so i tried to insure it on me own.
i was 19 0ncb and a out standing claim because the woman refuses to take responsibility for her actions. some flat out said they would no insure me on that car or quotes me about 6 grand. so had to drop to a 1.2 clio, by that time i'd turned 20, had a years driving experience and still to this day alomost a year on have this outstanding claim and its costing me almost £1400.. my advise build ncb on your 1.2 wait till your over 21, at that you will have a mandatory excess of at least £150 over the voluntary. alot of places have these ecxesses, like 17-21 +£250, 21-25 +150, 25+ low experiance +£100. and those are cheap examples, norich union simple cover have a flat £375 excess plus the age excess but have the cheapest policy price, or tesco, very cheap but 17-21 £400 excess, 21-25 £250. I think i mightj be waiting till im 25 before i start playing with big cars again.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I wouldn't bother.

I had a 172 at 17. Was fun but not really worth it in the long run.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
E-f**king-nough lol

All i know is now i pay sod all to insure a 106 GTi now at 19 which is just as capable a car.

It costs me a tad over £1300 to get insured on my 182 with Flux!

Im 22 and i have 2 yr's ncb...

1.6 16v
lol, my friend got a saxo vtr as first car at 17, turned 18 last week and his dad baught him a astra vxr! lucky f***er lol!!!!

Clio 1.2/ Impreza Type R
dont forget stuff like road tax its double my sister 1.0 saxo lol and tyres and services all adds up but its worth it

BMW M135i
19, 2yrs NCB on a 53 plate FF172 costs me £1650 or so with adrain flux. Were by far the cheapest for me but as said its not a cheap game as this age i'm afriad.

Mk4 .:R32
172 at 17? dream on mate. unless u wanna pay through ur ring piece. even 106 GTis and saxo VTRs will be expensive insurance at that age

BMW M135i
I'm also not too convinced that a 172 straight out the starting gates is a good idea on the whole really. As i'm pretty sure i'd have wrapped mine if i'd had it at 17 with zero experience and no lessons learnt (some the hard way).

Golf GTI PP Mk7
Yeah, at 17 id probably of trashed mine within a week too. In my opinion its very important to have a good grasp of the basics of car handling b4 you get something very powerful. If you mess it up in a 172 it can all end in tears very quickly, they're unforgiving if you don't know what you're doing.

Having said that, if you've got the money, and are confident you can drive it responsibly, go for it!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
im 18 been driving 1 year with 0ncb and insuring my 172 for £1500 a year

a lot of people say the petrol will kill you, not entirely true, mine is much better than my modded 1.2 16v was, as i dont have to drive it as hard arround town etc you can drive about everywhere in 4th and 5th instead of 2nd and 3rd lol