ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182’s days may be numbered!

Hello lads (/lasses?),

Well, try not to rely too much on your on board MPG computer! Mine seems to be stuck on 35mpg even after 2 resets! Done some sums and it seems Im getting less than 20mpg!!

Considering getting rid of it now, seeing as its a bit of a compromise compared with the Rallye (interior space, aftermarket go faster bits). Great little car otherwise!

Cant decide what to get next though!

Huw

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

??? I fill mine up which costs approx £35 and I get nearly 350 miles from it.

Thats 35-40 mpg. (mainly motorway drivin)

Something wrong somewhere mate ... get it to Reno and have it checked out

I dont often do motorway driving, but Im using just less than quarter of a tank to do about 32 miles. Its on par with my old Rallye.

Only thing I need to check is how accurate the fuel gauge is - I dont expect it to be particularly good. Ill be able to tell when I fill up next (shouldnt be too long!).

Huw

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Mate if you are driving it hard all the time what do you expect.

leave it in 4th for a bit and keep off the loud pedal and you soon get 38/40mpg

360 miles to the last tankful, although it was very low when I re-fueled. First filling station I found was closed.

dk

911 GTS Cab

i have never got over 300 miles out of a tank of mine, am getting around 29mpg.

Elise/VX220/R26

lol @ getting rid of it, take it to the dealers m8 get them to look at it. Are you working your MPG out correctly?

Wouldnt have expected the 182 MPG to differ madly from the Cup??!!

I drove mine very hard all of the time and probably averaged about 30 MPG!!

Sounds like somethings wrong.

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

i seem to get 32mpg round town driving in my 2004 1.4!

did 300miles (almost exactly) to a full tank on one motorway journey, raggin it, so im not too annoyed.

I went from a 306 Rallye to a 172 Cup and started putting £10 less a week in to do the same miles. The Clios fuel consumption is easily better than the 306 ( especially on SUL ) . Currently averaging around 35 mpg on the computer and can believe it to be honest.

182 Spiced

Guys, My 182 id drinking fuel. Ive put in £60 in three days and thats not even driving hard. Ive only done 650 miles, but it is drinking and I did have a problem with the 02 Monitor with the car - light on the dash came up.

Its costing me an arm and a leg and I havent even thrashed it hard... Its going to the garade on fri. Must be something wrong??? Theth trip states 30mpg?? yeah right more like 15-20!

Astra VXR 17/05/07

I dont understand at all :confused:

You have complained about interior space and aftermarket go faster bits...Why the hell buy it in the first place ? Surely you knew about the interior space and aftermarket bits before you got the car,they dont grow you know !!

I think the fuel consumption is sound.I very rarely go on motorways and am getting about 35 mpg.I dont have lead wellies but im hardly driving Miss Daisy either.The fuel consumption was a pleasant suprise for me :D

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by 182 Spiced on 06 June 2004

Guys, My 182 id drinking fuel. Ive put in £60 in three days and thats not even driving hard. Ive only done 650 miles, but it is drinking and I did have a problem with the 02 Monitor with the car - light on the dash came up.

Its costing me an arm and a leg and I havent even thrashed it hard... Its going to the garade on fri. Must be something wrong??? Theth trip states 30mpg?? yeah right more like 15-20!
sorry mate, but £60 for 650 miles i good, It takes about £35 to fill my tank and I get about 275-300 miles so £0 for 650 miles is better than me, and i am on 29 mpg, sounds like your trip computer is right!

Get at least 300 to the tank out of mine..filled up 4 times and the mileage seems the same each time.

Cant fault the far..stop 182 bashing...love the car..!!

Quote: Originally posted by huw182 on 06 June 2004
Hello lads (/lasses?),Well, try not to rely too much on your on board MPG computer! Mine seems to be stuck on 35mpg even after 2 resets! Done some sums and it seems Im getting less than 20mpg!!Considering getting rid of it now, seeing as its a bit of a compromise compared with the Rallye (interior space, aftermarket go faster bits). Great little car otherwise!Cant decide what to get next though!Huw

Are you going by the trip computer or by the fuel guage? Iv e noticed on mine it drops very quickly from the top then takes ages once its about half way to empty. Maybe this could leading you into thinking its worse than it is?

The only accurate measure of how much fuel youre using is:

a) your trip distance recorder &

b) the petrol pump

Dont trust the trip computer, it gives a good indication but it will never be exact, plus certainly dont trust the petrol gauge. The one on my 182 goes down suddenly then go back up and follows that routine for the whole tank. Also my petrol gauge indicated below empty the other day.....how many litres did I fit in the tank....all of 43 litres and it is a 50 litre tank.

I average about 270 - 315 tank, mix of dual carriage way, town driving....not bad for a highly tuned 2.0l 16v engine.

If youre considering the fuel economy why buy a petrol hot hatch?

Elise/VX220/R26

thats what I thought, anyway you cant possibly be working the mpg out accuratey if your getting 15mpg, youd still get 20 if you completely thrashed it everywhere

Nippy white cup

I also find that the 1st half of the tank drops pretty quick but the last half takes much longer....

Chris

Ad

MK2 FRS

Quote: Originally posted by Chris nnic on 06 June 2004

I also find that the 1st half of the tank drops pretty quick but the last half takes much longer....

Chris
Mine defo does that. I get around 330 a tank with a bit of right peddle. If Im on an economy drive then can get 360!!!

golf

God guys, After looking at this iam worried now about getting rid of my 1.5DCI clio extreme. I usually get around 530-590 miles to £36 for of diesel. and that is not attempting to drive slow and watch the fuel.Feck me!!!

Rough calculations as follow:

50 litre tank = 11 gallons (about £44.5 based on 89p super)

300 miles using 11 gallons = 27 mpg

We are probably all filling up with a gallon or so left, I ve never put more than £38 (about 42 litres) in and had the light on, so anyone getting 300 miles to the tank is averaging 32ish mpg which I am well happy with for a performance 2 litre. :)

Yeah anything above 30mpg for the kind of performance that you get is pretty good, cant complain.

My 206 GTi used to do 30mpg yet the performance (if you can call it that) was no where near the level of my 182.

Im stuck doing a lot of city driving - constant stop/start crap that does for fuel economy. And when Im not doing that Ive more often than not got a bike carrier with bike strapped to the back of the car, and that really buggers the fuel ecomony.

But I still get about 34mpg on optimax (working it out myself) - although the trip computer always seems to over-read by abou 2-3mpg in my opinion.

BTW, how do people work out fuel consumption themselves? I brim the tank, reset the trip meter and when I next fill up I brim it again, noting the mileage and number of litres put in. I use these figures with the following calculation: 32 divided by 7 multiplied by (number of miles) divided by (number of litres) equals miles per gallon. e.g. 32 / 7 x 345miles / 45.7litres = 34.5mpg

Nissan Jewk

according to the on board computer, i always used to get 29 mpg, since my exhaust fell off, i now get 30.1 lol! dunno how that works cos its drinking petrol with no exhaust on!

Ziel Nurburgring

75-83mph got me 43.8mpg back from bath on sunday. Even hammering it i cant seem to get it below 30mpg, but i dont tend to be a loony everywhere or from cold so that maybe why.