ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 - 1st gear traction

Quote: Originally posted by iceblue182 on 26 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 26 January 2005

FFS I already said 3 times - mine does it in the bone dry! :eek: ;)
and i said have said twice it wont in the summer lol!

my cup did it in the summer

Apart from the slightly increased power in cold weather, I fail too see why it wont happen in the summer, I have to say.

Apart from the slightly increased power in cold weather, I fail too see why it wont happen in the summer, I have to say.
the only difference will be the roads will be warmer, so they will be more sticky, and there wont be as much salt on the road hence more traction

Quote: Originally posted by 182blue on 26 January 2005

your cup wouldnt of had tranction control

My 182Cup has traction control, and does it in the dry (albeit winter) so I think weve established it isnt the lack of TC causing the tramping?

I should point out that getting away off the line is ok, its just that I now have to change up at 5k rpm in first - no big deal really.

your cup wouldnt of had tranction control

it didnt have traction control (i did say this way above), i never said it did ????????, i saids my cup banged in the summer

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

like others have said its just too cold at the moment. In the summer when its warmer youll have a lot more grip. My car was wheelspinning in 2nd and 3rd the other day at half throttle.

As for the banging when it wheel spins Ive been in loads of front wheel drive cars that do the same, not as bad as the clio but....

BMW 120i Sport

yeah the roads are still covered in sh*t even when theyre dry.

When its wet/greasy you have to be a little gentle in first gear - I usually change up before it comes on cam.

Mine does this 1st gear stamping all the time. SOmethign else it does as well is in other gears when the engine goes into "power mode" the wheels seem to fight each other and im in a battle to try and keep it going in a straight line. Does anyone elses do this? Ive checked the pressure in the tyres and its perfect. Is it related to the same thing as the 1st gear judder?

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by Wullie on 26 January 2005

Mine does this 1st gear stamping all the time. SOmethign else it does as well is in other gears when the engine goes into "power mode" the wheels seem to fight each other and im in a battle to try and keep it going in a straight line. Does anyone elses do this? Ive checked the pressure in the tyres and its perfect. Is it related to the same thing as the 1st gear judder?
Its called torque steer. Unless you have some kind of trick differential its pretty much un avoidable in front wheel drive cars. Different length half shafts - a differential in torque to the wheels - more to one than the other causes the car to pull to one side.

[Edited by lagerlout1 on 26 January 2005 at 11:09pm]

Quote: Originally posted by hip_spasm on 26 January 2005
Its sometimes better to turn it off to get a clean start.It IS very cold and wet at the minute also.

Ditto - this weather is crap for a clean quick launch.

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 26 January 2005

Its called torque steer. Unless you have some kind of trick differential its pretty much un avoidable in front wheel drive cars....
Its always good to learn that something you think is a problem is actually just "something you need to live with" :D. Means I dont need to go near the dealer!

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

like 182 blue says... my cup does it in the summer also, not as bad, just at the 6k mark when they really get moving, and then stops... This time of year its w**k pmsl

Volvo S60 D5

Quote: Originally posted by rory182 on 26 January 2005

Makes me laugh when folk get excited about these new 200bhp front wheel drives like astra and new golf and even the new 250bhp civic theyre predicting - imagine how little traction theyre gonna have and how much torque steering theyll suffer from..
Im currently putting 225bhp through the front wheels and have friends with 280-350bhp going through the front wheels also!

Wheel slippage isnt that much of a problem provided the road is dry and youre tame with the accelerator in 1st gear. Mines an auto so I just push it to 5k in 1st, it changes to second and then I plant it and keep it there as long as I want :D

Torque steer isnt a problem whatsoever, a good firm hold of the steering wheel with leather gloves and its no problem :D

Been getting the occasional 4th gear wheel spin in the wet at the moment. In the dry it tends to be only 1st and 2nd that causes TC to interveen, although its happened in 3rd on occasion.

Only get mine in first @ 5k+ and turning traction control off dont fix it. Is ever so slightly embarassing though i must admit, does sound as though the engine is about to jump 100meter into the sky.

3 Series xdrive

the clios feels scary to me on the twisties, i dont feel safe at all
Turn off the Traction control(ESP),Its much better to be in control of the car, rather than the car being in control of you!!!

Quote: Originally posted by daz182 on 27 January 2005

the clios feels scary to me on the twisties, i dont feel safe at all
Turn off the Traction control(ESP),Its much better to be in control of the car, rather than the car being in control of you!!!

im not donig anything to cause either of them to come on

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

LMFAO @ this :D

Has no-one ever considered that the root cause of the banging problem is asking for too much traction from the front wheels? Its not the suspension, or tyres, or traction control, or ABS that cause it...its a heavy right foot.

Take some time to learn/feel how the front wheels are doing grip-wise, and its possible to "floor" it in first right up to the redline, holding it just on the edge of breaking traction. Im not suggesting in any way shape or form that Ive got this down to a fine art, but Ive not had the banging since last winter, and that followed a conscious decision to start learning how to get the power down.

If youre getting the suspension banging...go easier on the loud pedal ;)

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!

if your struggling to keep your wheels from spinning maybe you should consider swapping your car...........with me!!! im sure i could live with wheel spinning everywhere.

besides im sure my tireds would be cheeper than yours!!!

think about it

lol

this reply is to a comment made on page 1:

I got a new 182 + cup packs in Nov 04. After some B road blasts, where it felt very very skittish, and nearly losing it on a roundabout I decided to check the tyre pressures.

Needless to say these were over 40psi on all 4 corners. Once back down to the levels recommended in the handbook the traction and B road handling seemed to be a lot better.

Cheers

R

rich[182]

with all the cars being stacked at the mo and the wet,greasy,slippy roads ive no intentions of being in a position of either spinning the wheels or TC light coming on right now

Just wait till easter and better roads IMO

Anyone wants to traffic light grand prix me at the mo is welcome to it, a litre micra would do me LOL

tiTTy & SV650

Quote: Originally posted by coopski on 27 January 2005

this reply is to a comment made on page 1:

I got a new 182 + cup packs in Nov 04. After some B road blasts, where it felt very very skittish, and nearly losing it on a roundabout I decided to check the tyre pressures.

Needless to say these were over 40psi on all 4 corners. Once back down to the levels recommended in the handbook the traction and B road handling seemed to be a lot better.

Cheers
Renault had my tyres inflated to 40psi too, fecking dangerous!

Suzuki SV1000S

They are just light cars mate. I can wheelspin in mine if I start in second gear without even trying when it is damp or just cold, In fact last night when I was gunning it I had wheel spin in second from 40. mmm maybe I need some new tyres, lol

MKIII 138

hmm.. i hate them but i rekon scoobs/evos pull just fine in this weather. nice an steady 5.5 secs to 60mph even in wet/mud.

got a bit cocky in mine earlier on my home road (was experimenting, the roads wide + it was late)....floored it in 2nd on a bend. queue torque steer and very rapid handling by me just to keep on the road. Oh well, good to know the limits :)