ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Air bag & Service light on after disconnecting & reconnecting steering wheel air bag

CrashBurnFly

ClioSport Club Member
  various
In the summer I bought Mike's (of RenTech) blue 182 and have been enjoying every mile and started doing a few upgrades.
At the weekend I fitted a standard 182 airbag wheel that had been beautifully releathered by Snappy.
A simple job, I thought but when I turned it all back on I had the Air bag and Service light come on. My question is:
1, Do these come on by default if the car detects that an airbag has been unplugged and plugged back in even with no fault?
If yes how can I get rid of the warning light without going to a dealer
2, If 1 is No - then any common cause?
I refitted the orig airbag that was fine moments before and the steering wheel (and hence elec parts) was the orig that came with the car from Mike and was previously all good.

All advice welcome.

Paul.

RB 182 FF
I changed my wheel for a Snappy one and no airbag light came on, so I don't think it's a default setting...

What always caused me issue was the wires under the passenger seat, when they were loose under the seat my airbag light came on quite regularly until I read about the issue and cable tied all the wires neatly under the seat making sure any connectors were separated...

If you haven't done this I'd recommend it first and see if your light goes out... If that fails the light can be switched off if you know someone with an OBD2 scanner with the ability to switch off codes... Maybe someone on here with one who's local to you can do it for beer tokens if you need it done... Good luck.. 👍🏻

CrashBurnFly

ClioSport Club Member
  various
Thanks VR for taking the time to help. If you didn't have the issue then I must have an error on something - I shall explore.
I will check the under seat wires, but hadn't touched them - so would be an unlikely coincidence.
It anyone can suggest which is the best OBD2 scanner for a 182 - much appreciated.

RB 182 FF
OBD2 scanners are a minefield to be honest... I'm lucky my mate has a half decent one, I'm borrowing it tomorrow to find an abs fault... If you're near to a half decent garage unlike myself most will diagnose a fault for a few quid and you could go from there... A half decent OBD2 scanner is circa £200 I think so you have to weigh up the pros and cons... I held off buying one until u borrow my mates and see how I get on....

RB 182 FF
Thanks VR for taking the time to help. If you didn't have the issue then I must have an error on something - I shall explore.
I will check the under seat wires, but hadn't touched them - so would be an unlikely coincidence.
It anyone can suggest which is the best OBD2 scanner for a 182 - much appreciated.

My wires would throw the airbag light when the seat was moved forward and back... Getting those wires neatly tied and separated under the seat is definitely worth doing first to eliminate one more potential cause...

CrashBurnFly

ClioSport Club Member
  various
Hi VR - I looked at wiring under seat and all looked untouched factory as tidy. Checked connections and all seemed fine. So decided to take of airbag and look at connections. FYI videos on YouTube show you have to remove the steering wheel plastic cover/cowling to remove air bag - you don't. The airbag is held to wheel by just 2 thick wire/rod loops that snap over 2 matching metal spurs on the wheel. The loops just need to be pried off the spurs and I found a right angle plastic trim tool (see pic) was the perfect tool. Anyway ... took it all apart unplugged everything, found nothing wrong and put it all back together and it was fixed with No Airbag or Service light. Somewhere must have been a slightly iffy connection. Many thanks for taking the time to give me your help - much appreciated.

Attachments

• Clio 182 orig steering wheel and airbag.JPG
    Clio 182 orig steering wheel and airbag.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 120

CrashBurnFly

ClioSport Club Member
  various
I have now noticed that the cruise and limiter are not working... have read old threads and cleaned rear light connections but no change... will start a new thread.

172 Ph1
If cruise and limiter now not working , I would strongly suggest that the squid is at fault as you last touched that area and cured your SRS light .

Try in plugging and plugging back in the squib .

But you will need to reset any codes that can occur when doing this on and off with electrical plugs .

Renault CLIP is best used for clearing codes . [emoji1303]