ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 - Air Conditioning / Fan

Hi,

Dont know if anyone can help -

The fan / aircon in my car is currently not working. I have checked all of the fuses, taken out the actual fan and checked that it worked with a battery.
I have searched through some previous posts and have removed a unit - A bit large than a fag packet and looks like a set of metal blades with a multi plug connection on the top. Is the the reo item that people talk about ??? If so how do I go about testing this item works ?? Power runs up to it and you can hear a noise when the A/c is turned on.

Any ideas / suggestions will be much appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
That sounds like the speed control resistor unit Paul. you can test it by finding which wires in the connector are live when you turn the fan speed control knob. the one that isnt live, goes to the motor. Jump this with each of the lives in turn without the resistor in the circuit the fan should run at the same speed (fast)regardless of which wire/speed you sellect.

If that all works, and it doesnt alter the speed then the switch and the fan are OK, the resistor is not. You can sometimes clean them up with a small wire brush and some emery sticks, but worse case, replace it.

If your car has climate control as opposed to manual air conditioning, check the air sample sensor up on the overhead panel where your interior light is.

Its a small air sampling fan which should run silently all the time but they get clogged with dust and tobacco fumes and need cleaning out. A small paint brush and a vacuum cleaner should do it, but they are known to fail. This will prevent the climate control system from working.

Thanks for the info.

As a short term measure, I have jumped the live passed the resistor pack so that the fan runs all the time as in this weather it is dangerous to drive. My car has the climate control installed. I will clean out the sensor inside the car (Often wondered what that was by the interior light). I take it that the testing process for the resistor pack is the same with the climate control ??

When you say clean the resistor, do you just mean the metal elements (Fins - about 3 i think) ??