ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Ball Joints

Clio 200
I have recently purchased a 2005 182 from a friend which had been MOT'd 2.5 months ago by a garage I know well and trust.
I noticed that the drivers side front CV boot was split so booked the car into the same garage that had MOT'd the car, they have noticed that both bottom balls joints are absolutely shot, the drivers side was very close to suffering catastrophic failure.
Is this a common problem or known weak point of the car?
The car is standard and low mileage (38,000 miles)

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Not a weak point as such, but they do wear out quicker if the car gets driven hard.

Might be worth looking at the tie rods and track rod ends aswell to see what condition they're in,
jiggling the tyres when it's on a lift will show up any play.

derv biege barge
I drove about with a knocking on my suspension for about 10,000 miles, couldn't figure where the noise was coming from, tried the wheel test no noticable play top to bottom or left to right, even passed an MOT like this. I put it down to the common strut top knock noise.

It wasn't until my coil spring snapped and I disassembled and inspected everything I noticed how bad the ball joints were, not catastrophic but loads of play in them, had to quickly use the missus car to nip to local car parts place for 2 new ones about £12 each 12mm bore size needed.

Noise gone but driveshaft now has play, its never ending in these cars. I am a competent mechanic and I can't keep up with the faults and puzzles this car constantly throws up. As I fix one thing another 2 problems appear.

Clio 200
Thanks for the replies guys.
The car is now much better with the new ball joints and steering pointing the right direction, it has uncovered another fault though.
I now have a noise coming from the NSF wheel area when setting off, if I set off slowly all is silent, if I set with anything greater than grandma speeds there is a noise.
Worn driveshaft?
I am just thankful that parts are very cheap, but dissapointed in the build quality..........and I thought my Impreza was fragile!

derv biege barge
My NSF driveshaft has some play at the outer joint, I have to fit a new boot approx every 18 -24 months due to the vibration shaking the boot apart. It occasionally makes a tapping noise when going over bumps. Second hand driveshaft on Ebay will cost you around £50 which will be my next purchase. No rush right now though. Probably do it next time I decide to change gearbox oil.