ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 cat rattling.

Clio 182/ RX-8
Ok after searching this forum i have been made aware of the famous '4k' rattle.
As it turns out im having the same problem mainly when coming of the throttle and the revs are dropping.
Now after fitting a janspeed cat back along with new mounts and checking the exhaust doesnt come into contact anywhere with the car, i was baffled about where this could be coming from and its been driving me crazy.
Been under the car again tonight but this time when the engine is running and gently being revved.
And it appears that this rattle is coming from the cat, sounds like the insides have broken away.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? did it turn out to be the cat?
How much is a genuine replacement?
Would a sports cat be a better alternative? if so which one?

Thank you for your time:)

Lots of Alfas
Is it definatly coming from the cat? Have you checked the heat shields above the cat and around the manifold as these can come loose and vibrate/rattle.

Clio 182/ RX-8
Nope definetly the cat, checked all of the heat shields and they are all still in place securely and away from the exhaust.

The joy's of french motoring:S

Clio 172 Cup
Drago check again cos sometimes the lambda sensor probe hits the shielding and gives a tiny rattle also with you havin a new exhaust fitted it can completely move the wholes system by just a couple of mm bit it can make loads a difference as i found mine was hitting the anti roll bar

juts a thought

Clio 182/ RX-8
Nope definetly not hitting, lambda sensor is no where near the heat shield.
Cant think what else it can be, need to fit a new exhaust clamp and cat to manifold fitting kit soon so will have to inspect the cat when i have it in bits.

Anyone have experience with the janspeed sports cat?