ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Christmas Tree Lights

dk

911 GTS Cab

On my way home from work tonight my dash lit up with the serv, abs and esp lights illuminated, now I know the serv light means take to dealer, im broken, and Im presuming thats its something to do with the brakes because of the other two but I carried on as the brakes felt fine.

When I got home I turned off the engine and then restarted the car and all was normal.

Is this something I need to worry about and take to the dealer or because the lights have gone out now do I presume it has fixed itself?

I know that if I go to the dealer and the lights arent on they will tell me there is nothing wrong but I cant really take the risk with brakes. If there really was a problem would they have stayed on even after restarting?

Please advise me.....

as far as i know, if the lights are out then the car is fine to drive. however, the car should store faults for a limited period of time so the dealer should still be able to read them on the Clip.

Dont quote me on that though, just from what Renault techs have told me in the past.

Lee

BMW M2C

Dave, were you taking a long bend at a relatively high speed? I get something similar if I corner hard for a sustained period of time, or if the car is placed on a rolling road.

dk

911 GTS Cab

i was in traffic on quite a steep hill and rolling forward in neutral and then braking for a few mins?

320d M Sport

yeah its just the fluid a bit low, so when on hills or sweeping bends it thinks ur low (ie dangerously low!) on fluid. Be careful tipping it in as the manifold is right next to where u lob in the fluid.

I think Id be a bit concerned if the brake fluid level was low - wheres it gone? Surely thats not a good sign... :eek:

dk

911 GTS Cab

yeh thanks balders, feel much better now!

paddy, never put brake fluid in before and am away from hom so dont have my manual, is the brake fluid level easy to spot and is it just a case of pouring some in?

cheers

320d M Sport

u need to remove the silver plastic cover (the one with renaultsport on), then look towards back of the engine - ie near windscreen on left hand side, just unscrew, tip in, put cap on, simmer for 5 mins and youll be fine

;)

Quote: Originally posted by paddymph on 02 June 2004

u need to remove the silver plastic cover (the one with renaultsport on), then look towards back of the engine - ie near windscreen on left hand side, just unscrew, tip in, put cap on, simmer for 5 mins and youll be fine

;)
I thought they had relocated this in the 182.....

I had exactly the same thing in my 172.

I ended up taking it to renault with the lights on and left the car running while I got someone to come and take a look. It went in for a week and the dealer had to phone Renault UK. Renault UK told them a very specific route to follow in order to correct the problem (this was what the dealer told me, but it sounds to me as if Renault UK are aware of the fault). Anyway it turned out to be a faulty switch on the ABS unit and the whole unit had to be replaced. Since then its not done it once.

Dont leave it as if it is the same fault it will happen again and everytime it occurs the ABS and ESP will deactivate. If this happens suddenly under heavy braking it could get messy.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

happened to me also. went to Reno for a few bits and ECU didnt show a fault. I remember going down a fairly steep hill near my home and i hit a pot hole on the way down (only about 10-20 miles an hour) light came on about 5 mins after that which was strange. anyway knocked engine off and all the lights went out again. just wondering if the bump threw the brake fluid around and a sensor picked it up as being low ??? who knows ?? not been on since (3000 miles later)

dk

911 GTS Cab

just to be safe will pop into renault minute on saturday and get them to check the brake fluid level and top it up if its on the low side.

thanks for all the advice guys, its what being in the club is all about!

Volvo S60 T5

Quote: Originally posted by Liftnub on 03 June 2004
<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">I had exactly the same thing in my 172.I ended up taking it to renault with the lights on and left the car running while I got someone to come and take a look. It went in for a week and the dealer had to phone Renault UK. Renault UK told them a very specific route to follow in order to correct the problem (this was what the dealer told me, but it sounds to me as if Renault UK are aware of the fault). Anyway it turned out to be a faulty switch on the ABS unit and the whole unit had to be replaced. Since then its not done it once.Dont leave it as if it is the same fault it will happen again and everytime it occurs the ABS and ESP will deactivate. If this happens suddenly under heavy braking it could get messy.

A week for a brake light switch WTF!

Mine came on within half a mile of picking it up (http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=2&TopicID=119178http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=2&TopicID=119178) and has been in first for diagnostics and then once to have an angle sensor behind the steering wheel (apparently) replaced. After doing the work, dealer discovered fault was still there - apparently a faulty part, but in another thread (http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=6&TopicID=124387http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=6&TopicID=124387) it was discussed that the problem is down to brake light switch alignment...

Its booked in again a week tomorrow, so will mention brake switch as well and see if they manage to sort it...

Not sure if my problem was same as you - my lights were on all the time, if I was lucky enough for the lights to go out when I turned the engine on, they invariably reappear after a short time...

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

mine did this when i first got the car. going down a fairly steep hill and hit a small pothole. turned car off and back on again and was fine. reno checked it out but there hadnt been a fault logged.

E90

Quote: Originally posted by MikeC on 02 December 2004

so french!
Seconded, I just ignore any lights naturally assuming its a wiring error, apart from the little orange petrol one. I pointlessly give the plastic a little tap, as you would a pressure gauge on a WW2 submarine, dont think it helps, but It makes me feel more secure.

Volvo S60 T5

Just got a tech note today from Renault regarding this and its exactly as I said, its down to the brake light switch.

Tell the dealer to set it up using the clip so that the brake lights come on with less than 1 - 3 bar brake pressure in the system.