ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Clio Turbo Options

Clio 182 FF
Hi all, couple of weeks ago purchased myself a 182 Clio in Titanium with both cup packs, my plan with the Clio is to boost it, now, the engine is on 158k which I'm thinking needs a full refresh before I even think about boosting due to the mileage so new rings, new gaskets, bearings etc.

What different options are there out there for a low boost setup? I know there are the very popular Engine Dynamics kits which you can get either the T25 or T28 Hybrids on it depending out output that you want, however I'm wondering whether there are kits out there which cater for more specifics like different turbos for quicker spool-up or high end output based units, I just feel like before I commit to the ED kit I want to see what's out there first, as I said, the engine will be getting a full refresh before I begin buying anything turbo related, I also know that boxes may become an issue possibly(?) But they're cheap enough 😂

Cheers

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
IMHO, i'd go custom. I've just been picking parts up as and when I see them and the overall price is still pretty low. Using the ebay 10% off codes to buy some items brand new, then just waiting for bargains.

There's nothing particularly difficult about turboing them. The ED kits are great, but I reckon I wont be far off the price of an ED kit with a genuine garrett when i'm done.

Clio 182 FF
IMHO, i'd go custom. I've just been picking parts up as and when I see them and the overall price is still pretty low. Using the ebay 10% off codes to buy some items brand new, then just waiting for bargains.

There's nothing particularly difficult about turboing them. The ED kits are great, but I reckon I wont be far off the price of an ED kit with a genuine garrett when i'm done.
Tbh this is why I am asking about the custom bits and all as I just fancy doing something a little more different, like you say, the bits are easy to come by if you're willing to wait, using stuff like Uni intercoolers, a cheap turbo manifold I can find (as long as it's not f**king Chinese 😂), it nails the price down a little, I know you cant really skimpy on stuff like the MAP Sensor for the turbo and stuff like the actual turbo but you can work around like you say, have you got any details on your spec so far?

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
ED turbo is a t25/28 hybrid there aren’t 2 different sizes for different output.. it’s actually a very reliable turbo and does the job well, although a tad laggy. (It’s very old tech now) the A/R is larger on the ED turbo .84 which means it’s very progressive and okay at higher RPM

GTX2860r Gen2 is my turbo choice! Amazing response and you can get away with a lower A/R .62 which means better low down response and with the turbo being bigger more up the top too (in theory) tech has vastly improved in aerodynamics to
Allow this

You could go crazy and go to the new G series turbos, another leap again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clio 182 FF
ED turbo is a t25/28 hybrid there aren’t 2 different sizes for different output.. it’s actually a very reliable turbo and does the job well, although a tad laggy. (It’s very old tech now) the A/R is larger on the ED turbo .84 which means it’s very progressive and okay at higher RPM

GTX2860r Gen2 is my turbo choice! Amazing response and you can get away with a lower A/R .62 which means better low down response and with the turbo being bigger more up the top too (in theory) tech has vastly improved in aerodynamics to
Allow this

You could go crazy and go to the new G series turbos, another leap again

Only thing with that is that it's a big turbo for a standard engine and I'd be using basically none of its potential, I looked at the GT2560R, don't know if that's a popular choice on the clios? Would rather get a genuine Garrett tbh hence why I'm looking for other options from the ED kit

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
2560 is a great choice also, very responsive when doing my research..

Also don’t get too caught up in the Garret is best approach, my ED turbo did 5years of abuse, still in perfect condition when upgraded for more power

Clio 182 FF
2560 is a great choice also, very responsive when doing my research..

Also don’t get too caught up in the Garret is best approach, my ED turbo did 5years of abuse, still in perfect condition when upgraded for more power

I saw it was a fairly quick spooling option and would be very easy to increase boost (once or if the engine was to be built) so that's what kinda drew me in, I want fairly quick spooling due to the fact itll be a fast road/track car not just track so I wont be at 5k plus all the time.. but it's great to hear feedback from a turbo owner.

Any other options you reckon would be much good? As you say Garrett's are by no means the cheapest or necessarily best for value in the market

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Talking as a non turbo owner here,
Isn't the ED turbocharger oil cooled and as far as im aware the Garrets run water cooled cores so will require a little additional plumbing.
Not really an issue, but something to consider.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Talking as a non turbo owner here,
Isn't the ED turbocharger oil cooled and as far as im aware the Garrets run water cooled cores so will require a little additional plumbing.
Not really an issue, but something to consider.

No water and oil on the ED ones mate. Solid copy of a Garret, Chris @efi said they are a good copy

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
No water and oil on the ED ones mate. Solid copy of a Garret, Chris @efi said they are a good copy

Ah i was of the understanding they were oil cooled. Thanks for correcting.
The turbo route is something i too dangerously dip my toe into every now and then. However it would wind up a very very expensive route fore me, :D

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I recently rebuilt my engine and turbo converted my car and those two aspects of the build cost me about £5k so be prepared for it to be an expensive job. Before you commit to doing an engine rebuild I would have your existing one checked for compression as at that kind of mileage it can be a can of worms or a very good engine if serviced right in which case no rebuild required. The engine I took out was on 160k and was so good on the inside when I took it apart it was a shame to get rid of it. The only issue it had was needing new valve stem seals.

Don't forget you will also need to do the clutch as whilst the standard one will do the power it's quite likely to need doing down the line.

I have a Garrett GT2560R from a JDM Nissan Sylvia S14/15 which is a ball bearing unit I picked up second hand for £150 and did a bit of cleaning up on so was probably £250 all in for a very fast to spool up unit perfectly suited to about 250bhp and heaps of torque. The ED unit is a proven reliable turbo so you don't have any worries there. I only went for the Garrett because I went all or nothing at great detriment to my wallet.

On my first track day I blew apart an exhaust gasket so it's in your interest to use good quality parts.

Chat with Alex from AW Motorworks who will be able to guide you on the best way to execute the work. He used to work for Engine Dynamics and still fits their kits.

Welcome to watch my turbo series.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Ah i was of the understanding they were oil cooled. Thanks for correcting.
The turbo route is something i too dangerously dip my toe into every now and then. However it would wind up a very very expensive route fore me, :D

I’d imagine the outcome would be pretty wild, there’s something highly addictive about turbo charging for me!!!

I love to see a well built N/A screaming around a track though!

Clio 182 FF
For me its just the scratching the turboing an N/A itch and I thought what better car to do it on really considering they're quite simple cars in comparison with many rivals of it, I just think it would be cool to change how it drives dynamically but at the same time, it gives me a good project to do by myself, I can take as much time as I really need at the mo anyways

Clio 182 FF
I recently rebuilt my engine and turbo converted my car and those two aspects of the build cost me about £5k so be prepared for it to be an expensive job. Before you commit to doing an engine rebuild I would have your existing one checked for compression as at that kind of mileage it can be a can of worms or a very good engine if serviced right in which case no rebuild required. The engine I took out was on 160k and was so good on the inside when I took it apart it was a shame to get rid of it. The only issue it had was needing new valve stem seals.

Don't forget you will also need to do the clutch as whilst the standard one will do the power it's quite likely to need doing down the line.

I have a Garrett GT2560R from a JDM Nissan Sylvia S14/15 which is a ball bearing unit I picked up second hand for £150 and did a bit of cleaning up on so was probably £250 all in for a very fast to spool up unit perfectly suited to about 250bhp and heaps of torque. The ED unit is a proven reliable turbo so you don't have any worries there. I only went for the Garrett because I went all or nothing at great detriment to my wallet.

On my first track day I blew apart an exhaust gasket so it's in your interest to use good quality parts.

Chat with Alex from AW Motorworks who will be able to guide you on the best way to execute the work. He used to work for Engine Dynamics and still fits their kits.

Welcome to watch my turbo series.

Great write-up there mate, cheers for the advice, I quite fancy doing a bit of a custom kit tbh hence why I was looking at the GT2560R and since you've given it a good review I'll put a little more research into that turbo as it seems like the perfect one for the F4R

Clio 182 FF
I recently rebuilt my engine and turbo converted my car and those two aspects of the build cost me about £5k so be prepared for it to be an expensive job. Before you commit to doing an engine rebuild I would have your existing one checked for compression as at that kind of mileage it can be a can of worms or a very good engine if serviced right in which case no rebuild required. The engine I took out was on 160k and was so good on the inside when I took it apart it was a shame to get rid of it.

Yeah I was 100% gonna comp test it because it seems like a fairly happy little engine to me, no knocks, smoke or anything I was just assuming I need to rebuild, rather predict it was gonna cost more than less otherwise I'll end up having some nasty surprises down the line haha
I wi

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I’d imagine the outcome would be pretty wild, there’s something highly addictive about turbo charging for me!!!

I love to see a well built N/A screaming around a track though!

Its just a daily i tell myself. The appeal of the useable midrange torque is nice. But i couldn't just fit an ED kit and be done with it.
It would involve building another motor, which would then be forged blah blah.
Then it would be buying another Syvecs, stronger boxes and all sorts, because it wouldn't stop at the standard 240/240 which i am more than well aware is adequate, and any more is pointless.

The other route is some grp n timing and a map, leave it alone :D

Clio 182 FF
Its just a daily i tell myself. The appeal of the useable midrange torque is nice. But i couldn't just fit an ED kit and be done with it.
It would involve building another motor, which would then be forged blah blah.
Then it would be buying another Syvecs, stronger boxes and all sorts, because it wouldn't stop at the standard 240/240 which i am more than well aware is adequate, and any more is pointless.

The other route is some grp n timing and a map, leave it alone :D
I've left both of my previous cars alone within reason and just want to have a car I can say I've built myself and it's much different to how it was, I don't wanna be like the VAG guys and just shove a map on and leave it 😂 I'd get bored too easily then

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I've left both of my previous cars alone within reason and just want to have a car I can say I've built myself and it's much different to how it was, I don't wanna be like the VAG guys and just shove a map on and leave it 😂 I'd get bored too easily then
I thought that and my build was so taxing on me I now hate it 😂

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Tbh this is why I am asking about the custom bits and all as I just fancy doing something a little more different, like you say, the bits are easy to come by if you're willing to wait, using stuff like Uni intercoolers, a cheap turbo manifold I can find (as long as it's not f**king Chinese 😂), it nails the price down a little, I know you cant really skimpy on stuff like the MAP Sensor for the turbo and stuff like the actual turbo but you can work around like you say, have you got any details on your spec so far?
As I say, i'm only building up my parts as I currently daily my clio so not in any rush at all.

I currently have:
Genuine brand new megane 225 injectors (ebay 10% bargain)
PH2 fuel rail to convert w/ return
Log manifold (You'll struggle to get anything other than the chinese ones, no-one makes them unless you go tubular)
Oil feed (T from sensor)
Toyo universal intercooler
Nimbus heatshield
Scorpion downpipe (Needs modifying to suit to my vbanded decat)
Inconel studs
Aeronuts
Genuine SR20 nissan locking tabs

I'm going to mock up the intercooler pipework from universal standard tubing with as few silicone joiners as possible.

ECU wise, i'll just be getting an EFI module. Then going for a GT2560R as i'm after something that spools up fast.

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve had 2 turbo Clios.

The first one was a ClioTurbo build (before they went totally to s**t) on a T28 Chinese turbo. Never had any problems with it and is still in use having done 2 seasons of SLS at knockhill. It made 232BHP when mapped by Chris at EFI.

My new build I decided to go with a genuine brand new Garrett GT2560R from Owens Developments. In my opinion it’s a much nicer experience! It’s less laggy, super smooth and a nice fit. Current one made 250bhp @ standard wastegate pressure of 7psi when mapped by Chris at EFI.

I did similar to Louis and just picked up pieces as and when they came up cheap/on offer etc. I would say the ED kit is good value if you just want something you can buy and bolt on and you’re away.

Clio 182 FF
I’ve had 2 turbo Clios.

The first one was a ClioTurbo build (before they went totally to s**t) on a T28 Chinese turbo. Never had any problems with it and is still in use having done 2 seasons of SLS at knockhill. It made 232BHP when mapped by Chris at EFI.

My new build I decided to go with a genuine brand new Garrett GT2560R from Owens Developments. In my opinion it’s a much nicer experience! It’s less laggy, super smooth and a nice fit. Current one made 250bhp @ standard wastegate pressure of 7psi when mapped by Chris at EFI.

I did similar to Louis and just picked up pieces as and when they came up cheap/on offer etc. I would say the ED kit is good value if you just want something you can buy and bolt on and you’re away.
Thanks for that, I can see the value of the ED kit but as you say, if you tailor it to your driving style itll be easier to live with

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for that, I can see the value of the ED kit but as you say, if you tailor it to your driving style itll be easier to live with

The hardest thing I found was making sure that everything fitted together correctly and that I was getting the right sized threads/fittings for stuff etc. A bit of research and searching and you’ll be sound [emoji1417]

Clio 182 FF
The hardest thing I found was making sure that everything fitted together correctly and that I was getting the right sized threads/fittings for stuff etc. A bit of research and searching and you’ll be sound [emoji1417]
Yeah I'll definitely be doing my research, luckily I work in a machining shop so any fittings can be custom made easily for free in that sense 😅

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
When I was considering a different turbo over the ED one as an upgrade I was talking to the guys at atpturbo.com

Lots of options and good price, very helpful too..

He basically helped me to opt for some newer tech though, I’m pretty sure you’ll get the desired effect from a Gen2 gtx2860r and it’ll be more future proof.

Although gt2560r turbos are fantastic at the power you are after they are very old school in design bar the ball bearing element!

Billet impellers, newer aerodynamics, more future proof and still very responsive with a gen2.. just some more food for thought for you mate!

Last edited:
  Clio 182 FF
When I was considering a different turbo over the ED one as an upgrade I was talking to the guys at atpturbo.com

Lots of options and good price, very helpful too..

He basically helped me to opt for some newer tech though, I’m pretty sure you’ll get the desired effect from a Gen2 gtx2860r and it’ll be more future proof.

Although gt2560r turbos are fantastic at the power you are after they are very old school in design bar the ball bearing element!

Billet impellers, newer aerodynamics, more future proof and still very responsive with a gen2.. just some more food for thought for you mate!

Definitely more to think about, thanks