ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Cup 1/4mile

Sh*tbox
My cup STD got 15 dead. Rsport ecu on my next visit got me a 14.4 at 95 ish iirc. Decat and exhaust and rear bench out got me a 14.17 @ 97.5 mph. Not been for a long time but after I got a remap i got a 14.2 @ 98.5 with a 6800 limit so I reckon sub 14 should be doo able now it is a bit more stripped. Managed a 5.39 0-60 pre strippage too but it has always been a bit of a freak

What timing gear did you use for the 0-60???

Also are yyou saying just a remap got younfr 15.0-14.4???

Nippy white cup
It was proper timing gear at York. They occasionally do 0-60 times instead of 60ft with a couple of speed gun set up on the start line. And yep the only other thing I had was a piper cross open IK. TBH it had barely 1000miles on the clock then so it was probably loosening up but the Rsport made a huge difference. I had got a 15 dead on my first time out...got the Rsport and Nic (my wife) had her first go a couple of weeks later and got a 14.6!....took me all day to get a 14.4 but I couldn't let her beat me lol

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
My cup STD got 15 dead. Rsport ecu on my next visit got me a 14.4 at 95 ish iirc. Decat and exhaust and rear bench out got me a 14.17 @ 97.5 mph. Not been for a long time but after I got a remap i got a 14.2 @ 98.5 with a 6800 limit so I reckon sub 14 should be doo able now it is a bit more stripped. Managed a 5.39 0-60 pre strippage too but it has always been a bit of a freak

sounds well quick to me !

172 cup, Impreza P1
14.7 at 97 for me at crail with a relatively standard 172 cup.

Going to use my vbox to see what I can do now.

williams and trophy

Bit of an understatement that last bit. Lol. Aren't you forgetting that was with 2 diff engines?? ;-)

And it was still trying to keep up with those pesky Williams's lol :)

ph1 172
14.1 was my best time at york, 98.9mph. Used to hit there or abouts quite regularly aswell. Weighed roughly 900kg on a local weigh bridge and 175bhp on RS tuning rollers. Tyres were Paradas (fronts 18psi, rears 40).

big boost cup
Off to Avon park next weekend to try and better my time of 13.04 @ 107. will be intresting to see how it goes on a "proper" track

ph1 172
I'm always surprised (& encouraged i guess) when i read these Clio 1/4mile times ie, low 14's. I used to have a partially stripped out & tuned mk2 Astra GTE 3.0 V6 with 235bhp & my best at SantaPod was 13.902@100.66mph. My ph1 172 feels nowhere near as quick tbh (severe lack of torque i guess!) I can't possibly imagine with some light tuning & a diet it would get within spitting distance of my old mk2 !

53 Clio's & counting
The thing you have to remember the average 172/182 will weigh around 1000kg's and have say 165-170bhp. Take 80odd kg's off that, add another 10bhp and (just as importantly) a higher rev limit, then it is perfectly possible. :)

Gearing is pretty good on the 172's, and on the mk1's even better, I mean my mk1 Clio with a Williams engine, and breathing modifications (165bhp), once lightly stripped ran 14.0 @ 99mph with me at Santa Pod all day long, and my 172 with FULL interior (including spare wheel and half a tank of fuel) running 193bhp ran 14.2 at Pod in 30 degree heat.

The combination of gearing, light weight and an engine that produces it's power well will give great results :)

As you say as well, having a Mk2 with a V6 in must have been awesome with regards to how it drove - power from idle!

Here is what a Mk1 Clio can do with 220 bhp

Last edited by a moderator:
  ph1 172
What mods took your 172 to 193bhp ?

I should have mine on the rollers really to see if it's down on power. I would like to see what it'd do up the strip but it was much cheaper to do so (at the Pod) when i had my Astra, lol.

Half the issue i'm sure is me, i like torque, huge dollops of low down torque, i never get so much pleasure from revving the t*ts off engines. TB's wouldn't suit my driving, i've had mates with high powered Nova/Astra TB'd XE's, they just seem like too much hard work to me, lol. Forced induction would but i'd never justify spending that on my 172, i'd go & buy a faster car instead.

Maybe some mild tuning & a few kg's lost (maybe even off me!) would produce enough of an improvement to make it entertaining..

Ps, Mk2 was ace, didn't really need gears, lol. (F20 box, XE flat 5.7kg flywheel, cams, re-map etc! no badges on the boot..)

53 Clio's & counting
Very nice! Back in the late 90's I had 4 mk2's, quickest was a white SRi with a 2.0 Cavalier SRi 130 engine, which had a re-worked head and a larger cam - was great fun!

I will say, while for daily driving the 1*2's have enough torque to pootle along with, the 150odd lb ft they do have is higher up the revs, and as you say they do need a good thrashing to get the full performance out of them, and especially coming from your Astra it will be a totally different driving experience.

I had throttle bodies, but apart from a cat back exhaust system it was standard. Though itbs do help with low down torque, I did gain circa 15lb ft of torque pretty much everywhere through the rev range, the power came from 4000rpm and above.

I will let you know how I get on with my new 172, which will be an internally standard engine, bar an exhaust system, and matched inlets that I will be matching - it is stripped inside, with stiffer suspension, and im off to Pod in about 4 weeks, I will be very disappointed if I don't get under 14.5