ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Cup or Civic type R

The CTR no doubt has better stacked ratios though. Its as much about gear ratios as it is bhp/ton. Some cars Ive driven are geared for the 0-60 dash, and then changing up to 3rd is like towing an elephant (not that the CTR is like that)

EDIT: 1st gear in the CTR is so low you dont need it unless youre running a 0-60 dash. stacked next to a well chosen 2nd cog, and with the lightning fast shift of the CTR box, its easy to see how the CTR would be a match despite having slightly lower torque and bhp/ton

Imagine how fast you could gear a 182, if you only wanted a top end of 90mph

[Edited by Roy Munson on 4/21/2005 1:00:51 PM]

Quote: Originally posted by rabbos on 21 April 2005

Ive owned a CTR as a company car and yeah it was pleasant enough but I always thought it the really sensible, clinical choice. Ive had several vtecs and I far prefer the sound of my cup when gunning the engine.

I think I know of about 3 182s/172s in my town. I see thirty CTRs go past my house every hour all with baseball capped chavs and then one grandad whos been sold one to potter around in!

Dont believe that for a minute, remember CTRs are still group 17 insurance, fair enough youll get a few neds that can afford to insure them/or not.

I am on my second CTR now, had the 182 for a matter of 3 months, and i will never buy a reno again. Quick, good handling cars, an even match for the CTR, but build quality is pooooor, very poor.

The depreciation on the 182s is also horrendous, give it another year youll be picking an 04 plate up for around 8k, then youll see more and more chavs running around in them, as they will be affordable. You try to show me a 3 year old CTR that you can pick up for 8k.

The CTR is every bit a match for a 182 in all aspects, but where it suppases is its overall build quaility, its a dream to drive, comfartable, and most of all does not have that plastic glued together interior look about it.

Yes the CTR is the more expensive, but the old saying in life is you get what you pay for, and when you have owned both cars, that saying becomes ever to true.

Paul

Yaris Hybrid

Said this before but the 182 does not depreciate anymore than a CTR.

E.g. my mate just got a CTR with AC, Met paint and fogs at 3 years old. Cost £17k new, bought for £10k at 3 years. Loss of £7k to the person that got it new.

Most of us here are paying £12.5k to £13k (at MOST) new for our 182s and at 3 years they will be worth £6.5k (thats the guaranteed minimum future value on a PCP so its a dead cert for some of us)

Thats a £6k loss. Now compared to list price of £15.5k with Cup packs and Met paint it is a massive loss but you can get discounts on a 182 whereas the Honda dealer told me to F Off when I asked!

See you need to look closely at the figures instead of taking drunken pub talk for granted. I think the same applies to the bullet proof reliability that in reality the Honda does not have. Id agree that it feels better built but my mates has as many if not more problems than a 3 year old Renault.

BMW 120i Sport

I concur with the depreciation.

My sis has a 51 plate CTR, only done about 12k miles - paid about £17k for it, was considering selling it last year (so three years old) for about £12k-ish (autotrader was packed with them). Then the new CTR came out, and prices have further dipped.

Thats £5k minimum.

I paid £12500 for my 182, in three years time i expect itll sell for £7k-ish? - losing £5500.

Some five year old MK1 172s go for over £7k still.

Mini Cooper S sport

Quote: Originally posted by keevster on 21 April 2005

give it another year youll be picking an 04 plate up for around 8k, then youll see more and more chavs running around in them, as they will be affordable.
They wont be able to afford the insurance!

LY 200

Id probably go for the TypeR!!!

Think ever way youl sometimes wish you bought the opposite!!!

172 cup

My mate has a ctr. Theyre good cars, well built and the interiors nice, but god are they ugly. I certainly havent seen any young chavs driving about in them tho. Just a lot of 30-something boy racers. Just what ill be in another few years. :(

I owned a CTR on an 02 plate from new, and yes the engine/gearbox combo is fantastic but the rest of the car doesnt live up to them. Poor steering feel, edgy handling, terrible service from the dealership, exploding tyres, was supposed to be black but after a few months there were blue marks under the lacquer......

Compared to a Renault 19 16v that I owned 7 years ago for 3 years, the CTR was c**p. Thats why Im buying a 182 now. Friendly local dealers definitely help. Honda forgot to put my oil cap back on after a service, which wasnt completed til they closed, so I picked up the car, got 5 mins down the road and oil started spraying up from the bonnet! Rang the service dept who were closed, rang Honda care line who sent the AA, they couldnt bring a new cap and I had a 100 mile round trip to work to do the following day!

Had both.CTR great build quality,great engine,great reliability,spacious interior.Downsides,crap steering,dead under 6000 revs,debatable looks.
Clio 182.Awesome handling,great performance,plenty of goodies as standard.Downsides,feels like it might fall apart at any moment,feels like youre sat on top of it.looks like any other Clio(unless in arctic/racing blue)
Both great cars though!

Quote: Originally posted by SOOTY on 21 April 2005

People on here keep saying VTEC... this system was pre Type R, the Integra had VTEC and the old Civi LSIs and so on but the Civic Type R has a new system called ITEC.
The Civic LSI didnt have VTEC it was a standard 1.5 16v engine. Only the 1.6 had VTEC.

Yaris Hybrid

Went in my mates CTR again on Saturday.

Really like the car, would say for my sort of driving the 182 is the quicker more fun car but the CTR is the better car. Dunno if that makes sense.

Its not 3k better though. If the CTR was £14k Id get one. I think if you look at it in isolation you can say it is definitely worth £16.5k but you could never justify paying that when a 182 is £12.5k.

I think I prefer the idea of owning a CTR but prefer the reality of driving a 182. Cant really explain it!

Its not all about power and speed if you want a fast car get something else a 172 CUp will be a lot cheaper and spend the extra £ on throttle bodies etc.
Personally Id get a 182 with the cup packs there better value IMO.

i always get people saying to me im going to lose loads of money on my car and try to expalin to them that i got massive discount in first place so aint that much money i will lose but they still say it lol. have seen ctrs for sale 3 yrs old for £8000 so about the same as what the clio will sell for but i didnt pay £17000 for my 182.