ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Cup pack coilovers...Help Needed!

Inferno 182 FF
I am in the process fo buying some coilovers for my 182 with cup packs.

I have a budget of around the £600 mark.

What is available and what should i go for.

Also fixed or adjustable damping?

Many thanks,

Tom

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Don't know TBH, i'm trying to decide what to get for mine, think i'll end up just refreshing the standard ones.

Inferno 182 FF
My friend has just bought gaz, i drove it today and i liked it alot. Maybe i will get them. I dont know alot about Weitec, FK, KW. They well made/good quality?

500 Twinair
The kW's are supposed to be very good, for the money, it will only get you fixed damping, spending over £900 will get you adjustable damping. The KW 1 is fixed, the KW 2 is adjustable.

Inferno 182 FF
right, so the only adjustable damping coilovers for under 500 is Gaz and v maxx ( they now do a kit for cup packed 182's).

Anyone got V maxxes? Are they any good?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Dont touch gaz, trust me, been there done it. Do a search on them, horrid things!!

Inferno 182 FF
My friend just fitted them to his 182 cup and loves them. Arrrggghh dnt know what to do lol!

V maxx or gaz or KW variant 1 ( no damper adjustment)???

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
I'd probably go with KW's.....Not had them but do have GAZ and they're not great and read that V-Maxx are ok but can tell they are made ona budget.

Inferno 182 FF
Does any one know what the damping is like on the KW's. Will it handle better than at present (eibah sportlines)?

500 Twinair
Best to speak to yozza, or ktec, they must have experience of the kw1 kit, ask warren4 on here, think he may of had the kw2 kit though.
Think the weitec,(KW sister company)may be adjustable damping?

Inferno 182 FF
Yer, my friend has just bought gaz, i have heard so many stories of them being rubbish. But your right if they have them then they cant be to shabby.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
If they are a decent brand (ie TUV german stuff) you dont need adjustable damping for fast road cars. I've had in total 4 sets of coilovers on RS Clios. When i had my first cup back in 2004 it was first 'lowered' on a set of eibach prolines. Imo this was an AWESOME set up for B road thrashing. Plenty of suspensipn travel to soak up the lumps/bumps. I wanted it a bit lower though as i'm a style *****. So, i got a set of GAZ. Bloody aweful. Bouncy/crashy on all settings. Noisy in operation, just soooo unrefined. Spoilt the car at what it was good at, handling. So after a month, ditched them for a set of H&R. What a revelation, bit stifffer than stock, but with the refinement. No weird clunks and knocks. Damping is fixed, but perfect for UK roads imo. I rate them so highly, that i bought a set for the 182 that replaced the Cup, and now the 197. I must have covered 100k in different cars with them. Never had 1 issue.

You get what you pay for...... why buy a cheap set and ruin the best thing about the car?? Speak to those in the know and they will tell you the same. Speak to a retailer who just want your £££££... they'll tell you what you want to hear ;)

Gaz.

Last edited:

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I'm finding it hard to justify buying anything over just replacing standard dampers + Prolines.

Inferno 182 FF
Thanks, really informative stuff there. So fixed damping isnt a problem as long as its well set up in the first place. KW Inox V1 are around the 600 quid mark. These are fixed damping, i fance these at the moment, H&Rs are around 800 iirc, so a little out of price range. Should i go with the KW's?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
For sure, only the track boys really fiddle with settings. As said the TUV stuff is very good imo, so KW wil be fine :)

Inferno 182 FF
Does anyone know what the difference between KW V1 and KW V1 INOX coilovers are? the "inox" are more expensive.

Da

Less
If your budget is £600, buy yourself a set of KTR coils and then add AST adjustable top mounts to compliment them :)

Inferno 182 FF
Have been considering V maxx as they no do a kit for the cupped 182?

Is v maxx cheap rubbish or is it any good?

Da

Less
V-Maxx is good for the money, I have the first 182 Cup kit produced sat here beside me.

I trial fitted the struts and they should be in production as we speak. I can't really comment on handling quality etc as I never got them set up, I was purely making sure the bolt holes lined up, which they do.

LiquidRich

ClioSport Club Member
  LY R27
I didn't think you could get the KW's for the cup suspension, that what I was going to get but they didn't do them. The only makes I could find that did a set for the cup were H&R, AST, Gaz and KTR iirc. I went for the Spax RSX in the end and tweaked them to fit

Golf GTD Mk7
I'm finding it hard to justify buying anything over just replacing standard dampers + Prolines.

Have to agree mate. Was having a blast in mine tonight and the set up felt superb. bumps absorbed well and nice and stiff round the corners. Didn't notice much difference when I first fitted them (even though they were second hand), but now they have been sitting on the car for a while they have firmed up. To be honest I probably should get new dampers all round, but i'm happy with how it handles generally. Will see how it works next month at oulton, and then might change depending on the feel on the track.

If you are going for coilovers mate i'd ask someone nicely who has the set up to take you out (maybe let you have a spin) just so you can get a feel for the ride.

500 Twinair
  500 Twinair
rabbit21, supposed you're gonna have to work out a budget that you want to spend on coilovers, and consider all the other costs, such as topmounts, cos the standard ones are bad and tend to knock,so new ones should stop all that and tighten up the handling, plus you've got to consider fitting if you are'nt going to fit it and the cost of setting it up properly if you want the coilovers to work properly for your car.
The KTR coilovers seem to have a better review so far over the vmax and gaz, but still early days for them, but KTR do seem to know what thay are doing.

Inferno 182 FF
Cheers guys, I think i am going to go for the KW V1's from Kam racing. I have Sportlines on atm which i will sell as they are only a few 1000 miles old. Where should i get solid topmounts from.