ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 cup suspension or coilovers

audi s4/182 ff
Hi just looking for advice really ,i have a 54 plate 182 ff and looking to improve it as we all are! don't know whether to renew my front dampers with standard cup shocks (already has apex springs)or go down the more expensive coilover route ,on a bit of a budget ,want to use for fast road and the odd trackday all experienced views and advice welcome p.s would consider 2nd hand coilovers if any one has some cheers belly60

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Good condition completely standard setup is fine for trackdays and should be more grip than you'd ever need on the road! Well i find it fine i like the chassis being lively and find the little roll there is helps the car do it's thing and is also more forgiving on airfield tracks which is where i spend most of my track time these days. It's annoying when overly hard suspension makes the wheels skip off the slightest bump and you can't get the power down and i hate farting around with damper settings and ride height when i could be out enjoying my track time.

If you aren't happy literally flinging the car around, trail braking or lifting off the throttle mid corner to play with the cars balance then going for the coilover route might be better. If the clio is taken by the horns there is virtually no understeer even on the standard car. Decent coilovers should allow plenty of adjustment to set the car up how you prefer.

audi s4/182 ff
cheers for the reply ,i am thinking of going down the fresh cup damper route and spending extra money on getting the geometry set up by grinspeed motorsport wrc mechanic qouted me £160 to set up, as it does understeer under severe pressure as it will do, used to audi quattro so getting the power down in the clio is alot different but still great fun, cheers belly60

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Thats where the trail braking really comes in. If you get the ass end all light and loose you can use it to tuck the nose in. I'm no racing driver but a bit of practice in this area completely sorted any problems i was having. Definitely cheaper than mods! I like to Keep mine standard which keeps my insurance down and i then have more money for track time. I've wasted too much money on cars in the past. Money i wish i'd spent driving. The more driving i do the less mods i need to be quick or have fun.

At the end of the day do whats makes you happy and will feel confident in the car. If you feel uncomfortable driving it you'll never really enjoy it :)

audi s4/182 ff
its to set up camber castor angles etc with shims etc full geometry set up by a malcolm wilson wrc engineer dont think the price is that bad to be honest comparable with similar price to set up my civic type r about 6years ago and that made all the difference in the world,for around the same money

182cup & 172 racecar
I have always said, that fresh standard suspension makes the world of difference. Stick with it and keep things simple, and have lots of fun.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
its to set up camber castor angles etc with shims etc full geometry set up by a malcolm wilson wrc engineer dont think the price is that bad to be honest comparable with similar price to set up my civic type r about 6years ago and that made all the difference in the world,for around the same money

I see. Hadn't realised it included camber shims for your rear beam & camber bolts for up front. Hows he intending on adjusting your caster? Machining new hubs or providing some adjustable top mounts?

Last edited:
  Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
It's amazing when you fit new standard stuff you realise how worn things have got! I fitted new standard suspension parts to an xr2 and couldn't believe how much stiffer it was and how much better the damping was. It was all 20 years old but had only covered 50,000miles.

The 182 has pretty good damping if it crashes over bumps its a good sign the dampers are getting tired. Any vagueness in the feel of the car also needs checking.

Geometry is important. I spent a day correcting my old gpz motorbike and It feels awesome now. Not a car I know but a lesson in how a few mil can sometimes make the difference between good and brilliant.