ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 cup

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 18 February 2005
I know my car has a smaller wheel and is faster...

wtf??

Roll up to Santa Pod on Sunday and well put this argument to bed for good.

The 182 Cup is no faster in a real life situation, maybe on paper where it says the cup is 20kg lighter, but not in real life.

Get over it, you bought the cheaper car and thats that.

The photo makes the dash look dull. Yet the two cars share the same dash. Do The math. To be blunt I cant be arsed with the playground politics I see here about the Cups. I know my car has a smaller wheel and is faster...you know yours has leather seats. Well done.
lol, im sorry but if you cant be arsed why did you bother posting !!!?, and the dash is dull

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

I dont see how the point is missed, youre claiming the cup is faster.... I dispute that point and Im willing to prove it.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 18 February 2005Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 18 February 2005Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 18 February 2005Fair play, Im just getting really bored of that generic interior picture that you keep posting. It looks dull cos its a dull photo. The Cup interior, whilst not as nice as the full fat, is perfectly ok, and the car is marginally quicker so get over it ;)care to put your money where your mouth is at Pod on Sunday?????????

my point is that you keep saying how fast it is yet the fastest tested clio 182 is a full fat one by evo/autocar (cant remember which) at 6.3 seconds.

its only faster if you can make it faster, my interior will always be better even if I am a crap driver.

Coco, Im stating that the Cup is as fast if not faster, as a counter for the arguments about it having a crap ineterior, thats all.

dk

911 GTS Cab

and for the record, im not a cup basher, i just think there isnt a big enough saving between the two to warrant the difference in spec.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 18 February 2005I know my car has a smaller wheel and is faster..

How can you now say that you said the cup is AS fast, when clearly you say it IS faster?

When there are a number of indepent tests say it has no performance advantage.

I also note the fact that you dont believe in the Cup enough to put your money where your mouth is and go up against a "heavier full fat 182"

MKIII 138

cant belive you can be on this clio loving forum and totally insult someones car which in the grand scheme of things isnt hardly any different in price. apart from sh*t seats which are replaced if you have any sense with either Recaros or aftermarket Cobras for example what else is sh*t about the interior ???????? the wheel gets replaced doesnt it ? i know im getting an even smaller 350mm leather Momo steering wheel and most likely a harness so why the hell would i need cruise control = potencialy dangerous, lazy device which is worse for economy or xenons = fair place nice looking but not essencial apart from the bling factor or climate so instead of a quick turn of a nob to say "my god its hot today i need to be cool" its a raft of 80s casio watch lights saying 25% 24% ??? like i only ever have it on either max or min in the 172.

so how is it going to be at the meets ??? people sneering because an exact same colour car i.e racing blue with a cup badge and recaros comes into view ? ohh yea really sh*t them things LOL.

sh*t attitude.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Meggerman,

Im not having a dig at the car itself.....
Im fed up with the 182Cup owners thinking that their car is best because a) it was cheap and b) it is faster

Well, take a flipping reality check

Very often the 182 Cup isnt much cheaper than a 182.
Id dispute any "speed" advantage in the real world.

At the end of the day, yes, both the 182 and 182Cup are desirable cars, but I see no reason to buy the 182Cup other than cost and to be frank I think the "cheapness" isnt worth the discount over the full fat 182.

I must admit Im becoming bored of the snobby reactions to Cups here. Unless theyre 172Cups owned by old school members, Cups seem to be sh*t.

dk

911 GTS Cab

meggerman, i get the feeling you feel the need to defend your car?

you say that cruise control is dangerous, is it any more dangerous than removing all the airbags in the car (by removing the seats and steering wheel! oh but the cup doesnt get the seat airbags so my car is ultimately safer, a bloody good reason to go for a full fat!)

you are now used to not having climate and xenons if you are coming from a 225 without any options? I personally couldnt do without them.

as i said, i am not a cup basher, i just dont see why people go for them when the full fat 182 is near enough the same price?

MKIII 138

Quote: Originally posted by CocoPops on 18 February 2005

Meggerman,

Im not having a dig at the car itself.....
Im fed up with the 182Cup owners thinking that their car is best because a) it was cheap and b) it is faster

Well, take a flipping reality check

Very often the 182 Cup isnt much cheaper than a 182.
Id dispute any "speed" advantage in the real world.

At the end of the day, yes, both the 182 and 182Cup are desirable cars, but I see no reason to buy the 182Cup other than cost and to be frank I think the "cheapness" isnt worth the discount over the full fat 182.

fair enough, each to their own.

i wouldnt mind either car.. however ive just seen Romers throttle bodied 172 and its got me thinking why not keep the 172 and spend the cash on some of those muthas !! :devilish:

nite all

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Quote: Originally posted by meggerman on 18 February 2005
i wouldnt mind either car.. however ive just seen Romers throttle bodied 172 and its got me thinking why not keep the 172 and spend the cash on some of those muthas !! :devilish:[/QUOTE]
nite all

Now youre talking :D

Quote: Originally posted by meggerman on 18 February 2005

Is there a CliosportCup.net site? ;)

The instant reaction to the Cups is getting very boring IMO :cry:
couldnt agree more m8. There is a degree of snobery on this topic. i mean for FFS you can either get a DCI for 10k or a 182cup with recaros for 11.5k massively cheap price and better performance than fullfat 182.. and before people say yea but not noticble difference well... for one the idea of the recaros IMPO is to save even further weight without increasing insurance group with that extra power and weights saving the 182 must have crept pretty close to ins grp 17. Now ok everyone may hark on about recaros for fullfat 182 but be honest 99% of people who are not on this forum and probably only 10% of people on this forum are going to rip their seats out and buy recaros especially when it involves silly dash light fixes and increased insurance premiums as its not a factory fit option ! and before people say well i can order the 182 with recaros from factory.. well yes you can but you lose two airbags and in essence all your doing is stripping it out like the cup is anyway but even then you still wont have the same weight saving as the 182cup with recaros will be the lightest RS clio yet apart from 172cup which if im correct weights 1040kgs and the 182cup 1060kgs but with lighter recaros probably tips in @ 1050kgs (i think they saved more than 20kgs in the first place anyway) hence power is lower down there is more power and more torque and only 10kgs diffo (so if you weight an extra stone or two thats gone)

in essence the 182cup is the fastest production FWD Clio ever is it not ?. in retrospect i would of got the 172CUP instead of my 172 if i understood more about clios at the time, this time im going with the 182cup.

just like to point out that when i removed 20kgs from my 172 it felt much quicker on the uptake and pulled harder.. i notice still a remarkbly big difference with that weight saving so dont think that with the potencialy lighter recaro seats the 182cup wont much faster i think it will.. but you must take standard 182cup+recaro+lightrearbench and compare to 182 with cup packs and all the toys.

[Edited by meggerman on 18 February 2005 at 10:13pm]

the suposed point of the cup is to save money and weight, the 182 cup doesnt really do either of these to well if anyones honest, i mean they remove leather/climate/xenons etc and they only reduce its price by £800,to add these as option on most manufacturers cars would cost well over £1500, the cup is a marketing ploy as it does nothing mechanically different to the cupped 182 (i.e track/suspension/brakes/etc , like the 172 cup did).

as for putting recaros in it to make the seats as nice as the 182 then spending £800 as an option defeats the whole point of the cup doesnt it. ?

im not having a go at the 182cup, im more having a go at renault for there tactics and the way they piss on people who buy a car only to find they release another version 6 months later.

so my original point/opinion stands, for the money you may as well go for the cupped 182 for value for money, as you can get them as cheap if not cheaper than the 182cup, and the cupped 182 will no doubt get a better price at re-sale time, i have personal experience of this lately as when i went to a honda dealer recently they thought it was a 182cup, and he said they werent interested in it as a px, i said it wasnt a cup it was just cupped 182, he got back on the phone and his attitude changed and he offered me £10.250 for it !!!

Same old boring argument!!

Both cars are clios - I just cant see the point in this topic.

It is getting boring seeing the same old topics crop up again and again with the same old arguments being recycled.

My Opinion:

182 with cup packs = fabulous car
182 cup = fabulous car

Simple as that.

The photo makes the dash look dull. Yet the two cars share the same dash. Do The math. To be blunt I cant be arsed with the playground politics I see here about the Cups.

Us 172 Cup owners got it as well, just ignore them they are just jealous they dont have a Cup.;)

*runs and hides*

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 19 February 2005

The photo makes the dash look dull. Yet the two cars share the same dash. Do The math. To be blunt I cant be arsed with the playground politics I see here about the Cups.

Us 172 Cup owners got it as well, just ignore them they are just jealous they dont have a Cup.;)

*runs and hides*

LOL, long time no hear!

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

Neil, i think us 172cup owners had/have more of a justification of buying them due to the more weight etc saved where as the 182cup doesnt seem to justify the not alot less expenditure.

RB182cup&golf gti

when you buy a hifi what do you buy it for, sound quality or fancy gadgets and flashing lights. If you like driving then get a cup and with the change get a decent hifi ;)

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Quote: Originally posted by hoe261 on 19 February 2005
when you buy a hifi what do you buy it for, sound quality or fancy gadgets and flashing lights. If you like driving then get a cup and with the change get a decent hifi ;)

Yeah, only in this example its a case of.....

Do you buy a one car with great soundtrack or one car with a great soundtrack AND toys, for the same price?

exactly hoe

you are probably talking (on average) around 1k cheaper for the cup - which can buy you quite a bit of other stuff.

1k is still a good saving if you dont want xenons, leather etc.

Each to their own - Id rather spend the 1k on beer or on a weekend in amsterdam.

But I dont dispute the fact that the 182 with cup packs is a more complete vehicle - just wasnt what I was after at the time.

[Edited by gnewark on 2/19/2005 6:07:32 PM]

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Quote: Originally posted by hoe261 on 19 February 2005
excuse me for being thick but theyre not the same price and i mean RETAIL price not the bargaining price

But you have to ask.....
How many people would EVER pay retail price for a car?

Bore-a-thon

My original point was that every time I see a post asking about a Cup, the almost robotic response, is that the Cup is crap (usually coupled with that same generic picture), rather than actual answers.

I really cant be arsed to get into the entire debate all over again :D

Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 19 February 2005

Bore-a-thon

My original point was that every time I see a post asking about a Cup, the almost robotic response, is that the Cup is crap (usually coupled with that same generic picture), rather than actual answers.

I really cant be arsed to get into the entire debate all over again :D
well post some more pictures of your interior, and you keep saying you cant be bothered with all this, but you persist in posting !!!!!!

i never said the cup was crap either, i just gave my opinion !!!, and said for the money go for a cupped 182.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

The 182 cup is too close to the 182 with cup bits for the justification that was required to manafacture it.

For a £900 difference you loose to much and dont gain any performance

If it was 2k cheaper and got to 60 0.5 secs quicker and over a second to 100mph then it could be justified ,just like the original cup.

I so nearly bought one of these cups but for a pittance extra i got all the comfort in THE SAME CAR.But for those who bought one good luck,its no different than the full fat one and if you dont have the gadgets in the first place you wont miss them

ian

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Jesus.

Let it go people. We all have our own ideas about the 182 cup.

Stop arguing its getting boring. Some of the 182 owners are sounding very snobby, just remember its down to personal taste and maybe cost.

Lets all get on please.

like i said i had a 172 cup so im not being snobby, and if i remember i got alot more sh*t than the 182cup owners get.

I just said I cant be arsed to get into the entire debate, which primarily means I dont intend to continue bothering once this thread expires. Why would I bother posting snaps of my interior? I already said I find it perfectly ok, so why would I bother posting pics in this thread for your scrutiny?

The whole point here is that you dont see Cup drivers blagging about having the marginally swifter car, unless its in defense to comments made by guys patting themselves on the back for having leather seats.

I really dont want to argue, as were all fellow Clio owners, but ask youself this - how often do you read threads about a 182, where it quickly turns into a debate about the Cup being faster? How often do you read threads about a 182Cup, where it quickly becomes a debate about leather seats and frickin Xenons?

To clarify - any Cup thread will almost instantly be populated with posts about how the full fat is better value and has more gear. Any 182 thread will hardly ever be populated with posts about how the Cup is faster.

Anyway peace out.

Well actually no. Why would I bother?? Im happy with it, but have already said the full fat is nicer inside as far as seats go. Why would I post pictures of my interior just so you can post pictures of yours?

Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 19 February 2005

Well actually no. Why would I bother?? Im happy with it, but have already said the full fat is nicer inside as far as seats go. Why would I post pictures of my interior just so you can post pictures of yours?

so if you say the full fat seats are nicer, why did you buy the cup ??

LOL, er no why would i post pics of my interior i already know what it looks like, i thought you complained about the picture i posted of your interior, so wanted to show me your picture !!?

I got the Cup because it suited my needs better at the time, and I dont regret it. Thats the last Im saying. Have a nice evening dude

not bein funny but the difference in the price of the cup and 182 is so small anyway i feel it comes down to personal preference. I have a 172 cup and prefere the look of mine to a 172, however a 182 cup looks the same as the 182 + cup pack. Perfomance for both will be the same in the real world, 20kgs is about the diference between a man and a womans weight. However the 172 cup was about a whole persons weight reduction. You pay your money you make your choice. I wasn very pleased when they brought out the cup just thought they could have maybe given it at least 10 bhp more or at lest 60 kg weight loss to really notice the difference and create two individual cars. Instead they have given the 182 all the extras that the CUP has and have killed the purpose of the car. The 172 could not be bought with any of the cups extras and it was a totally different car. The 182 and 182 Cup and the same car. One has just got less extras fitted. A bit of a let down in my opinion but, who am I to say - this only my opinion. All of them are good hot hatches, fun and good at upseting the odd subaru driver!