ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 dogbone mount question

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Hoping to get some advice guys.

I bought some powerflex bushes for my dogbone mount and set about removing my old ones. Unfortunatley i didnt really have the correct tools to get the old ones out and kinda chipped/bent the metal of the old mount. I ordered another off ebay which stated was for a 182 and it arrived but it seems to be a different shape all together to my old one.

SDC10727.jpg

Higher one is off my 182 and the lower is the new one

My question is does anyone know what the lower one is off and does it fit the same as my old one does, not sure the bushes would fit as the metal is a completely different shape ??

If its for a different car/model will mine still be able to be refitted it does have slight dents into the metal but doesnt change the structural shape of the mount.

Thanks for your help

Jay.

Clio 172mk2
the bottom one looks like a after market one , so not a renault part (unless they changed design later on)

shud still be able to use yer original one tbh, hammer n chisel to get the old rubbers out, or a press like garages use

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Cheers Biojo,

Dont think the new powerflex bushes would fit in the new one as the powerflex bushes are round but the new mount is more square :( so looks like using the old mount would be the best way.

Just hope the few little dinks i put in it dont do it any harm, i tried using a hammer and burning them out but unfortunatley just messed it up. Will probs try taking it to a garage to get pressed out tomorrow then. Just hope they can still get them out as parts of the bushes are knackered now. :dapprove:

Clio 172mk2
ye by original i meant yer old one, burnings a new one on me lol , press is allot easier, but lots have done it with brute force .

Rembember to rotate the big rubber 180degrees once in so the force isnt on the weekest part, and which way round the small end goes.

Megane R26
Just use the old one, that whole metal insert comes out (with some hammering) leaving you with a large round hole

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
ye by original i meant yer old one, burnings a new one on me lol , press is allot easier, but lots have done it with brute force .

Rembember to rotate the big rubber 180degrees once in so the force isnt on the weekest part, and which way round the small end goes.

probs being really thick but what do you mean by rotating 180 degree's mate :S

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Just use the old one, that whole metal insert comes out (with some hammering) leaving you with a large round hole

Cheers mate, i slightly bent the bit that is raised running around the outside of the hole on the larger bush, will this still be okay ?? dont think it actually touches anything

Megane R26
Cheers mate, i slightly bent the bit that is raised running around the outside of the hole on the larger bush, will this still be okay ?? dont think it actually touches anything

Yeah that's fine that gets removed as well as the bush, have a look at the pictures in the link i posted, should help you out.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Yeah i will mate cheers for that :)

When you say it gets removed too do you mean the metal inbetween the bush ?? Only its the raised metal on the outside of the bush which is part of the mount which i have damaged.

Cheers for the help

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah i will mate cheers for that :)

When you say it gets removed too do you mean the metal inbetween the bush ?? Only its the raised metal on the outside of the bush which is part of the mount which i have damaged.

Cheers for the help

Yes, the raised metal around the bush is removed completely to fit the pf bushes.

Best way to get it out, imo, is to squash the 'raised metal' bit inwards on itself in a vice, then whack it with a hammer.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Ahh rite i see, thanks very much. I didnt even know that bit came out :S well thats the only bit really damaged so looks like i should be okay.

Thanks guys.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Thanks Jenic, stupidly i was trying to knock the black part out of the bush out rather than the whole thing.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Got the old bushes out this morning and fitted the new ones, attached the gearbox end to the car but have now found the bolt hole on the sub frame end does not match up ???:S

Anyone got any idea how i can get the mount to pull across as it doesnt seem to budge :(

Jay

monaco 172
put some pics up of your probelm mate.

mine went on perfectly in about 2 minutes after id wacked out and put the new bushes in.

i put the subframe end in first though if that makes any difference

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Yeah i will try and take some tonite when i get home from work mate,

I got the small bush for the gearbox end in okay but just the holes on the larger bush dont match at all ( you can only see half the bolt hole through the middle ) :(

May need to try taking it back out and doing the sub frame end one first like you say Hipwell

Cheers

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Yeah i will try and take some tonite when i get home from work mate,

I got the small bush for the gearbox end in okay but just the holes on the larger bush dont match at all ( you can only see half the bolt hole through the middle ) :(

May need to try taking it back out and doing the sub frame end one first like you say Hipwell

Cheers

Just put a screwdriver in the half hole you can see mate and prize it over it will pull and line up mate
Or try putting other bolt in first mate .

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Thanks mate, gonna try and give it another go this evening.

Just a quick question, there seems to be so much debate on here as to which way up the gear box end goes (big part at top or bottom) does it make much of a difference and does anyone now the correct way ?? I have been following daves guide but so many people say to do it the other way too.

Cheers

Ford S-Max 2.2 TDCI Ti
Thanks mate, gonna try and give it another go this evening.

Just a quick question, there seems to be so much debate on here as to which way up the gear box end goes (big part at top or bottom) does it make much of a difference and does anyone now the correct way ?? I have been following daves guide but so many people say to do it the other way too.

Cheers

This is a very good question and I've just come on here to ask the same question.

I've fitted it the other way and still getting knocking of my DP on the subframe even after the mounts have been changed.
Could this be the issue?

Ford S-Max 2.2 TDCI Ti
yes it makes all difference some one fitted it wrong way, and it splits the rubber i`ll try n find pic

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?528347

This is what I mean by it's not clear.

The guide that Dave did here. http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?540329-182-172-Powerflex-Dogbone-Mount-Fitting
Says big at top small at bottom with washers both sides.

Your link is the other one I read that adds the confusion as a chap called Franx says the small should be at the top and big one at the bottom but this is the only reference.

So who's right Dave or Franx.

E46 M3
Dave is right, big bit at the top, washers both sides. It wouldn't be in the guide if it was wrong.

Blobeye WRX STi W/T
100% big part at top, think of it logically..

People moan that the car vibrates more when they fit it large part at the top, it's an uprated mount, it's ment to be stiffer, hence the vibrations... If it vibrated less (like it does with the large part at the bottom) it wouldn't be as effective.. :p

S'trollin on size 7s
people moan because it vibrates to an extent that their rear view mirror is shaking so bad that its un-viewable.. beacause its fitted the wrong way (apparently).

Blobeye WRX STi W/T
people moan because it vibrates to an extent that their rear view mirror is shaking so bad that its un-viewable.. beacause its fitted the wrong way (apparently).
had mine on for 2 weeks now and only done around 100 miles and the vibrations are hardly noticable... (fitted larger side on top)

Ford S-Max 2.2 TDCI Ti
Swapped over this evening.

A definite improvement in terms of engine rigidity. No difference in terms of vibration.

I'm still hitting the subframe with the downpipe. It's well tight down there.

Not sure what to do now other than replace the front gearbox mount but I doubt its that.

Grrrrrrr.