ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 ff or cup ??

Range Rover sport 4.2 S/C
be careful with harrats mate i bought my 172 from there and they are great with the sales pitch etc but soon as i needed help with it they didnt want to know

Cup has a more baisc interier no zeon lights or climate control it also have the cup suspension and spolier packs as standard.

The full fat had the Cup packs as an option (the cars in the photo don't have the Cup pack suspension) also had zenon half leather seats, climate control.

be careful with harrats mate i bought my 172 from there and they are great with the sales pitch etc but soon as i needed help with it they didnt want to know

Oh ok i they where quick in ringing me 5 mins after i sent a email

What was your problem with them ?

i bought a 172 51 plate with 18000 miles on the clock which was really good for the year it was alittle over priced at £7500 but for the millage and condition its worth it. when i picked her up i noticed in the log book the belts hadnt been changed (which they need doing 5yrs or 72000 miles) so i rang them and asked them to sort it. it tokk them 4 days to respond which is annoying waiting and they had the car to 2wks??!! i wouldnt mind but i only got 1months warrenty with it. So when i got it back the warrenty had pretty much expired and i have found a few other little problems (sump gasket needs changing, inner drive shaft boot needs changing and my ABS block is catching the chasis making it grind alittle when braking hard) i have rang them since and there response was 'its out of warrenty so what can we do, you should have checked in more depth when purchasing it' who gets under and starts taking bits off it to make sure its in good order.
So just be careful dude in short service department and customer help s*it :(
hope this helps plus you will probably benefit from a private sale??

MINI JCW
basically the full fat 182 has more toys (leather, xenons, climate control) where the 182 cup doesnt (it does have air con though). Also most 182ff came with the cup sus and spoiler but this was only if they were specified as an extra, the 182cup came with these as std.

The 182 cup weighs 20kg less so apples for apples the 182cup would be slighlty quicker but not noticebale on the road

Thanks for the info on them i will make sure i have a good look round them first then

Yea i think i need to do a private sale they only offerd me 1500 for mine which im not going to take that was over the phone tho , going there on thursday to see what they offer if they dont give me £2000 they arnt getting a deal

And thanks edde that helps alot

basically the full fat 182 has more toys (leather, xenons, climate control) where the 182 cup doesnt (it does have air con though). Also most 182ff came with the cup sus and spoiler but this was only if they were specified as an extra, the 182cup came with these as std.

The 182 cup weighs 20kg less so apples for apples the 182cup would be slighlty quicker but not noticebale on the road

Think i might buy a full fat then i wanted blue anyway :rasp:

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
As mentioned 20kg weight reduction on the Cup however it's debateable if this makes any difference. Both cars seem to be quicker than their advertised specs anyway. The lower/stiffer suspension, revised steering geometery and spoilers on the Cup can be had on the standard car with the "Cup packs". TBH the main reason I bought a Cup was it was around £1000 cheaper! As long as it has air con I'm happy!

Although I would recommend that you look at the Trophy instead. You get Recaros as standard and fancy suspension. It's not a lot extra and they depreciate less.

MINI JCW
As mentioned 20kg weight reduction on the Cup however it's debateable if this makes any difference. Both cars seem to be quicker than their advertised specs anyway. The lower/stiffer suspension, revised steering geometery and spoilers on the Cup can be had on the standard car with the "Cup packs". TBH the main reason I bought a Cup was it was around £1000 cheaper! As long as it has air con I'm happy!

Although I would recommend that you look at the Trophy instead. You get Recaros as standard and fancy suspension. It's not a lot extra and they depreciate less.

Spot on if you can live without the leather then the cup is fine. The trophy is good but they are a little more expensive (but hold their value better) but you have to have them in red

Thanks for the info on them i will make sure i have a good look round them first then

Yea i think i need to do a private sale they only offerd me 1500 for mine which im not going to take that was over the phone tho , going there on thursday to see what they offer if they dont give me £2000 they arnt getting a deal

And thanks edde that helps alot

thats what i got for my saxo £2000 but they was very reluctant to so be careful
let me know how you get on as im curious??

Sure will do

How do you tell if a 182 ff has cup packs ?

Says nothing on the advert

Last edited:

Sure will do

Onyl way to be 100% sure is to measure the strut 60mm its got it 54 and its not the wheels are darker on Cup packed cars not silver but they've been swopped before now. ALos the original build sheet buit since setups can be swopped easily don't use that as a definate rule.

Sure will do

Onyl way to be 100% sure is to measure the strut 60mm its got it 54 and its not the wheels are darker on Cup packed cars not silver but they've been swopped before now. ALos the original build sheet buit since setups can be swopped easily don't use that as a definate rule.

Thanks again edde

Just found this really like the colour ORION BLUE METT never seen that before

media

Think i might go and look at this one too only done 13000 miles and its cheaper to

Rsport182Cup'd
get the FF, ESP And TC - safety and fun is always a safe bet, you never know when you might need it, and you can turn it off if you want a better feel, but cup you cant turn it on when it is icy

Rsport182Cup'd
sorry rich thought they were same as 172.

xenon light are woth it in the drivin rain............is that any better or they have them two now - lol

Clio 172 mk2
Xenons are pretty good and once you get used to them it's hard driving cars with 'normal' lights

I'd never buy a cup as I'd never get the most out of it....I don't take my car on track. I also never liked the low rent interior.

Changed my mind again going to look at a artic blue ff only 5 miles away think it has cup packs too not sure yet tho .

Been to look a one today 05 artic blue it has 25000 miles the front tyres are low and the wheels are badly scuffed , they want £10500 for it thats abit steap isnt it ?

They did say they would replace the tyres and refurb the wheels tho

Not going for that one now to many miles on it for me and its not been looked after

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Been to look a one today 05 artic blue it has 25000 miles the front tyres are low and the wheels are badly scuffed , they want £10500 for it thats abit steap isnt it ?

For that you could be sitting in a trophy, what you playing at :banghead:

Cup 172
There was enough difference between the 172Cup and the FF to make the Cup worthwhile. They were different cars (both looks and character) that appealed to different drivers.

However, you can get 99% of the benefits of a 182Cup by getting an FF with the Cup packs.

The 172Cup was a model in its own right, the 182 Cup was just a cynical marketing ploy...

182FF all the way.

Oh and if your spending anywhere near 10k, the only one you should even be considering is a Trophy...

106 GTi
There was enough difference between the 172Cup and the FF to make the Cup worthwhile. They were different cars (both looks and character) that appealed to different drivers.

However, you can get 99% of the benefits of a 182Cup by getting an FF with the Cup packs.

The 172Cup was a model in its own right, the 182 Cup was just a cynical marketing ploy...

182FF all the way.

Oh and if your spending anywhere near 10k, the only one you should even be considering is a Trophy...

Not sure why anyone would choose a 182 Cup over FF, as you say the 172 Cup was different enough to warrent it. The 182 varient I see no reason.

For that you could be sitting in a trophy, what you playing at :banghead:

Not everyone on here wants a Trophy Steve!

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
^^^ but today if i were looking to spend 10K + trophy would still win hands down.

Mainly as they don't loose money, got my sensible head on :coffee:

Just bought one :p its a 54 plate with 13000 miles mint cond with cup packs artic blue for £9300

I was looking at buying a trophy but id sooner have blue not to keen on the red

MINI JCW
Sounds a good buy. My 182 is 54 plate with 12k and Id expect to pay very similar.

Great buy and hope you enjoy it.

PS you have the best colour as well

182 Trophy
Who cares on the colour when you can sit in those recaros and own the last proper and arguably the best hot hatch ever made ;)

BTW Luke you went for the best colour though, and you will appreciate those extra comforts found in the FF....Welcome to the Artic Blue Club :D