ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 idling at 2000 rom

Hi,

Wondered if anyone can offer any insight into this? Alll was ok with the 182, I went out for a 5 mile journey to collect the misses, then stopped off at the supermarket for some last minute mothers day flowers etc. upon re starting the car it died, so I tried again (it was a bit hesitant at this point) though with a small amount of throttle applied it started but continued to rev at 2000 rpm, also at this point i notice the temp gague has not moved at all despite the 5 mile or so journy. one final thing, with the car off when I put my foot on the accel pedal, I can hear a knock coming from the engine bay almost like it had a cable that was ill adjusted (though I thought the pedal was just a sensor)

any thoughts or comments gratefully received before I go out and get blindingly drunk!

thanks,

6 degrees, about the warmest its been since having the car, though its done nothing likethis before, almost seamed like "the choke" was on although the engine was warm. would it make sense that if the temp sensor has packed up the car doesnt know when or how much fuel to put into the engine as it doesnt know how warm the engine is??

[Edited by yubnub1 on 05 March 2005 at 7:24pm]

When you floor the throttle there is the clickly bit on it which is a switich to disconnect the cruise so that might bee the sound your hearing.

As for the other problem well it might be the throttle pedal is at fault and one of the sensor line (there are two) has failed causing the high idle. However with coolent temp sensors being such a common problem and yopiu saying the gauge hasnt moved that seems just as likly.

cheers for that, so the temp sensors a common fault is it?? - sounds like I will have to make the dreaded call to renault!

Quote: Originally posted by yubnub1 on 05 March 2005

cheers for that, so the temp sensors a common fault is it?? - sounds like I will have to make the dreaded call to renault!
Common enough as problems go for Clios.

BMW 120i Sport

Uh oh, sounds like another coolant temp sensor problem.

Ive had this happen to my 182, exactly the same problems (revs locked at 2000 rpm, temp gauge all over the place), had it in to Renault and fixed under warranty. You might wanna ask them to check the cat incase any unburnt fuel (as a result of engine flooding) made it into the cat - apparently this can be a problem?

Quote: Originally posted by Big G on 06 March 2005

Uh oh, sounds like another coolant temp sensor problem.

Ive had this happen to my 182, exactly the same problems (revs locked at 2000 rpm, temp gauge all over the place), had it in to Renault and fixed under warranty. You might wanna ask them to check the cat incase any unburnt fuel (as a result of engine flooding) made it into the cat - apparently this can be a problem?
You could have damaged the catr so a few eeks later when the lambeda work out the cats bust it will set the SERV light off again.

hi,

Took car into reno to be fixed today. On the way driving to the garage the bloody temp gauge starts working again and the idle dropped back to normal! - left it with them anyway, Turns out it was a faulty temp sensor,

Thanks for all you replys and help,

Im now enjoying a normal idle and MPG of above 20!!!