ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 in the cold

BMW 120i Sport

We all know the 182 is lumpy and juddery from cold, but ive noticed that my 182 has been very lumpy the past week in the morning (not colder than usual). It actually feels like its perhaps not firing properly and performance is guff from 1000-3000 rpm (but it picks up fine afterwards). Occasionally, this sluggishness is accompanied by a sort of muted "clicking" or "tinkling" from the engine.

It goes away after about 1 minute of driving once the car starts to get a bit warmer when all is well and it goes as good as usual.

Just seems a little bit more juddery than usual from cold.

Any thoughts/opinions?

juddery from cold?wots cold then?been 34-36c all week in oz and my 182 runs well from cold everytime,only problem is the climate control not low enough at 16c.

sounds like a move to warmer climes may sort the clio out.

Its just a case of the engine taking longer to get warm but once its there its loving the cold air!

what petrol you using ??i only ask as i had to put some 95 ron in last week and the car ran quite roughly especially at idle, yesterday i put the good old optimax back in and its running lovely and smooth again, i know the optimax thing is contreversial but i found the car loads better running it

172 Cup

Its probably just a combination of the cold and the fact the ECU runs the engine slightly lean when the cars first started. Like you said within a minute its fine again.

Its the KDC sensor. My 172 was doing exactly the same thing about 5weeks back. Juddering like it was misfiring from cold. Put your foot down and it kinda loses power then suddenly goes. I had it replaced under warranty. Its sweet now.

Yes I found the same thing. Ive got a 51 plate 172. I was told by a Renault dealer that until the engine reaches an internal temperature of 20c it does run lumpy. He also said that Renault have been asked to change the cars software hundreds of times but they refused apparently.

From my experience though there is nothing to worry about.

Clio 200 Cup packed

never had the judder problem before, but on saturday i was cought short and had to fill up with BP ultimate 97ron as apposed to optimax 98 ron (which i have ALWAYS used)

monday morning & tuesday morning was judder city, but not this morning funnily enough.

BP, NEVER AGAIN! URGH!

Optimax is a must. As is a job at shell!

Right now i run my 1.2 16V on 95RON super-market stuff but when i buy my cup/182 itll be optimax all the way.

Cars run rich upon startup. The extra fuel is used for lubrication until the oil starts circulating... Hence your Unburnt petrol smell from the zorst

Audi A6 (S3 on order)

Mine runs like sh*te for about 3 mins. Pops/bangs and all sorts from the exhaust.

Best 3 minutes of my day ;)

Yaris Hybrid

Doesnt Optimax (and all higher octane fuels) have a higher ignition point than 95 RON so actually standard fuel would be better for cold starts?

BMW 120i Sport

Quote: Originally posted by 182blue on 02 February 2005
what petrol you using ??i only ask as i had to put some 95 ron in last week and the car ran quite roughly especially at idle, yesterday i put the good old optimax back in and its running lovely and smooth again, i know the optimax thing is contreversial but i found the car loads better running it

Optimax, the whole optimax and nothing but the optimax. ;)

I tried letting the car side idle this morning for about 2 minutes whilst it lumped about idling from cold and the car was much more driveable.

Again, any sign of lumpyness went after 30-60 seconds.

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000

Quote: Originally posted by homerjay on 02 February 2005

never had the judder problem before, but on saturday i was cought short and had to fill up with BP ultimate 97ron as apposed to optimax 98 ron (which i have ALWAYS used)

monday morning & tuesday morning was judder city, but not this morning funnily enough.

BP, NEVER AGAIN! URGH!

Maybe you should do some research into MON ratings which have a greater effect than the single RON point.

Also why does your (and others on here) car run better on an higher RON rated Fuel? Is there a fault with these cars or simply highly tuned to a point where 95 RON will cause a premature flame front in the combustion cylinder causing piston crown damage?

Quote: Originally posted by Paul J on 02 February 2005

Maybe you should do some research into MON ratings which have a greater effect than the single RON point.

Also why does your (and others on here) car run better on an higher RON rated Fuel? Is there a fault with these cars or simply highly tuned to a point where 95 RON will cause a premature flame front in the combustion cylinder causing piston crown damage?
Its not the high tunning. Infact the engine not that higlt tunned. Its due to the mapping for emmisions it seems.

95 RON is fine no problem with it. Even if your going for 200hp+.

Clio 200 Cup packed

Quote: Originally posted by Paul J on 02 February 2005

Quote: Originally posted by homerjay on 02 February 2005

BP, NEVER AGAIN! URGH!

hey, im only saying what happened, i dont claim to be a fuel physicist!