ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 is Best hot hatch EVER - EVO

Hi Guys, anyone read this months EVO? In the first test section towards the start of the mag is a review of the 182. They couldnt praise it enough, so much so that even despite the silly (in pics) looking exhaust, Im definately gonna be checking it out down my local Reno garage!

I didnt realise it only weighs 1080Kg. Thats very good considering its got all the extra equipment over the cup, (if EVO have the figures right) and they reckon its quicker than a Type R and RS Focus on normal roads, impressive. Worth a read guys

Quick question, it talks about the revisions made to the chassis, and more importantly the change of castor. It is now apparantly the same as the clio cup racers. Is there a simple way of doing this to a std cup? And if so, is it worth it?

re suspension, you can have this done easily to a standard cup. I have. If you are interested PM me and Ill give you contact details

Cheers Tomclio182!

Cheers for the link lagerlout1, If it is as good as evo reckon (I first looked into the cup on recommendation of evo) then there may well be some key swapping taking place over the next 12 months!

philip, you have PM.

Question is, will they test it against the cream of the hot hatches in about 10 years time and still call it the "Best Hot Hatch Ever"? - as they did with the Williams.

That was one article without direct comparison and while Im sure the 182 will be an excellent hot hatch, it wont move the game on in the way the 205 GTi or Willy did. The 172 was probably the car that started the "bhp race" in the hot hatch market, so you could even say that deserves a place in the hall of fame. Not so sure that a development of the original 172 will merit a place itself. ;)

Best of the bunch maybe, but theres some stiff competition for the crown and the upstart 182 has to meet those old timers before calling itself the King.

Yeah, but with a hell of a lot more differences than the 182 or Cup has over a 172.

The 182 is a revision, an update of the 172.

My main point is that the 182 has to meet the cream of the established hot hatches before being called the best. That doesnt necessarily mean an article in a glitzy magazine - just for people whove driven the cars to form their opinions and tell us about them.

BenR - Dont get me wrong, i totally agree, the test was almost a set piece with no other car as comparison. Before the cup, i owned a 205 gti, and yes they are awesome cars, and no, you cant really buy anything today that has the same raw drivers appeal. (Unless your willing to go for caterhams and the like). If it wasnt for my hankering after a bit of new, (and id had enough of picking up all the bits that fell off the 205, although i still seem to be doing that with the cup) Id still have a 205. Prob by now with the mi16 engine in it, just to bring it up to modern day bhp and straight line specs. Its just interesting to see that Reno seem to have gone the right way with the progression of the 172.

Ideally Id like to see a test with it pitched against the new Type R, RS, R32 and a tuned cooper S. I think then we will have a good idea exactly how good the 182 really is.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by si_cup on 06 February 2004

Ideally Id like to see a test with it pitched against the new Type R, RS, R32 and a tuned cooper S. I think then we will have a good idea exactly how good the 182 really is.
Only one is a rival.

it wouldnt be a fair comparison.

Exactly! Bring it on. :D

For reference, I met up with a guy locally who has an Mi16 205 conversion that pumps out 177bhp at the fly! It did beat me, but youd be surprised at how close it was - about 3 car lengths to about 11* mph - and my Willy really did the 205 on cornering speeds. Do a search in the Racing Tales section!

(Sorry, - Ben H) And yes, Id love to see another test in evo with new vs old. To finally settle the hot hatch debate.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by Ben H on 06 February 2004

Yeah, but with a hell of a lot more differences than the 182 or Cup has over a 172.

The 182 is a revision, an update of the 172.

My main point is that the 182 has to meet the cream of the established hot hatches before being called the best. That doesnt necessarily mean an article in a glitzy magazine - just for people whove driven the cars to form their opinions and tell us about them.

Im sure it was the same situation with the williams when that came out.

Without the 16v there would be no williams. As the car is based on the 16v, surely the williams in itself is an "update" of the 16v?

the 172 has proven itself over its competition already.

Itll never be settled! People like me will always be biased towards older hot hatches (Ive just started warming the Mk1 172 now ;)) and others will always see that the newest of the breed is the best!

The Willy wasnt an update of the 16V as the Willy was a limited edition car (albeit a "limited" production three times!) and was sold alongside and then died before the 16V.

I hated it when cars started getting power steering - without cars all felt so different. A Fiesta was so different to a Golf etc. With power steering they all feel much more the same these days.

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 06 February 2004

Quote: Originally posted by si_cup on 06 February 2004

Only one is a rival.

it wouldnt be a fair comparison.
One of my best friends has an R32, with the AMD upgrade, so I know exactly how good that is (and yes it is unbelievable, considering it is called a Golf) and in different tests the cup/172 has never faired that badly against the others. I appreciate that in out and out pace, it is prob. not going to be at the top, but it would be interesting to see how it compares in the real world, and shear drivers appeal.

Your right, at the end of the day the debate will go on and on. Im not one of these people who thinks new must be best (even though i drive a cup), like i say, my friend has a 205 mi16, and when we get to track days we will be swapping just to see what each is like. I have the upmost respect for cars like that, and the willy etc. Ive just always fancied a new car. At the time of buying the cup, it seemed to be the closest i could get to the 205, without getting completely impractical and going for something like an elise. Id just be interested to know if this 182 is as good - or even better, and with all the toys.

Just read the article. Sounds impressive. What can I say. I want one. But without those wheels.

How about this. A 182 with the Cup option, Roamers TB conversion and the wheels of the old 172 or 172 cup.

R

rich[182]

old school hatches - to be honest always thought 205gti 1.9 was a tad overated, in all the time i owned 2 R5GTT I was never beaten by a 1.9 yet apart from people who actually owned a R5GTT you never hear anyone talk about the little turbo pocket rocket.

What is needed is a evo cover story. 3 days in wales and 1 day on track with a collection of the best hot hatches. 205 1.9 gti, R5 gt turbo, mk2 golf gti 16v, Clio williams, CTR, Cooper S WORKS. 106 gti, Clio 182 cup.......Have I missed any.