ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 itb`s, who do people prefer and make?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
so lets say u bolt on some jenveys with omex or gen90 and have it mapped, no other real mods other than exhaust, will you see a genuine 30bhp gain? i think if i was going down this route id get some 421 cams fitted as well for larger gains. or am i talking nonsense. :)

You should see in the region of 30bhp yes, and with cams as well that will be more like 40.

But bear in mind that the standard internals are a lottery at high rpm, the rod bolts and valves can both potentially fail, and hotter cams means more time spent further up the rev range.

Power wise a turbo conversion offers MUCH better gains of course, but also offers increased maintaince potential with the turbo itself, and some people prefer the way N/A cars drive on track by so much that they are happy to take the power hit.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
so lets say u bolt on some jenveys with omex or gen90 and have it mapped, no other real mods other than exhaust, will you see a genuine 30bhp gain? i think if i was going down this route id get some 421 cams fitted as well for larger gains. or am i talking nonsense. :)

that's roughly the combination I have. I fitted a 182 manifold because I had one, and the engine was out, and did headwork becuase the engine was stripped also. That lot got me to 209bhp

Lionel Richie
he's using the stock FBW loom with an adaptor plug for THROTTLE POSTION SENSOR so the loom isn't chopped into, running a throttle cable

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
On the original FBW setup half the wires are to control the throttle motor and the other half are for the TPS, so the adaptor just plugs in and uses half the wires for the TPS and does nothing with the others.

Piece of cake to do the same yourself of course if using any other set of bodies on the standard loom if you want to be able to remove it again, or if you arent bothered about reversing it later on then you simply remove that plug and fit one that suits the bodies you have instead.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
he's using the stock FBW loom with an adaptor plug for THROTTLE POSTION SENSOR so the loom isn't chopped into, running a throttle cable

exactly this. All designed originally because people moaned about wires being cut. Then everyone moans and bitches that cutting wires is easier.

Some people literally will find fault with anything just for the sake of voicing an opinion

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Nice! I like that a lot

it's a nice way to do it. I'm downgrading my car a little to sell it soon, so the original ECU and inlet will go back on with no effort at all. Adaptor's will transfer nicely across to what I'm planning next too ;)

T3gav

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone know the maximum trumpet length of the AT bodies keeping the original bonnet lock etc? What setup cable wise is best for the 182 ff i.e. left/centre/right pull? So many options on their site.

Anyone know the maximum trumpet length of the AT bodies keeping the original bonnet lock etc? What setup cable wise is best for the 182 ff i.e. left/centre/right pull? So many options on their site.

If your retaining the OE bonnet lock I wouldn't bother with ITB's, you need to remove the bonnet lock slam panel to run a good length trumpet.

Regards Russ.....

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Porkies goes well and has the bonnet catch still in place, its only a few percent you are losing by not going longer, so while I agree with you its not ideal and not how I would do it personally, it doesnt mean that the bodies are completely useless like you are implying.

never had any problems with ours chip ? what don't you like about it?

and you are right he certainly knows his stuff and isn't far from the OP

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
never had any problems with ours chip ? what don't you like about it?

The mapping interface is terrible for mapping on the road, which is how I like to do a lot of my mapping, especially on turbo cars.

As an end user, there is nothing wrong with them, just as a mapper they are horrible.

ok .... dave did all the mapping which we did up there on a few occasions ......

in fact all my quick engines have come from that neck of the woods

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If someone wants a decent setup done for them and never to map it themself, Dave offers great value and great results, I wouldn't ever say otherwise mate, Ive got a lot of respect for him.

My reply was based on the one I drove, so yes your probably correct not completly useless, would need to drive a car with the same set up that was correctly mapped and set up.

Regards Russ............

Porkies goes well and has the bonnet catch still in place, its only a few percent you are losing by not going longer, so while I agree with you its not ideal and not how I would do it personally, it doesnt mean that the bodies are completely useless like you are implying.

If someone wants a decent setup done for them and never to map it themself, Dave offers great value and great results, I wouldn't ever say otherwise mate, Ive got a lot of respect for him.

totally with you on that , not got into mapping etc as i have always had good engine builders who can map on an engine dyno first off , and have more time to experiment than i would .......

suspension is where i am happiest , though wish i hadn't now sold off my flat floor and corner weights when i got rid of the 7

would be nice to have my setup back again , but not sure i have the time these days .

182cup & 172 racecar
suspension is where i am happiest , though wish i hadn't now sold off my flat floor and corner weights when i got rid of the 7

would be nice to have my setup back again , but not sure i have the time these days .

I wish you still had it as well.

love tinkering and playing with setups tony , and as you know the proof is in the laptimes .......

didn't mind sorting 7's and track cars , but old nackers on a set of springs where everything is seized up wasn't much fun at home , even with a doubt garage .

T3gav

ClioSport Club Member
I have 2 Emerald ecu's, no problems, I think you'll get the dash light issue though. There was a cup racer on itb's when I went there last time.

182cup & 172 racecar
Would love to have a set of corner weights to use on a test day, be good to tinker and try straight away.

its the best way tony , obviously assuming you can get consistent laps , however you also have to try and not chase the track , been caught out there when more or less rubber has gone down ...... its that post lunchtime session when you think the lunchtime changes are rubbish when in reality the tracks gone off/cooled etc