ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 loud bang, grinding in gear and no movement.....

Hello all, was driving around today all was fine, no problems previously etc then under acceleration there was a bang a thud then nothing !
Selects gears fine just when I try to move it won't move and I get a loud metallic grinding noise.......
im guessing it's fooked !
Any ideas or thoughts please fellas as is currently sat on side of road awaiting recovery :(

Right it's def not driveshaft. With engine running and in gear if I take foot of clutch as if to stall it it still idles without cutting out so I'm thinking clutch or gearbox. I only bought it Friday !

182cup & 172 racecar
Needs a proper look at I'm afraid, not something easily diagnosed on the net. Could be clutch plate broken, this happened to James at the weekend.

FF Artic 182
Splines on the drive shaft?
Mine did something similar to this.

Starts and works fine, goes into gear, clutch feels normal. But at the bite point it just sounds like metal spinning against metal?

Just had AA look at it and apparently neither driveshaft is doing anything so he suspects internal failure. Had it 2 days and possible gearbox failure. Someone remind me why I bought my 5th clio sport !!! Oh the joys....

FF Artic 182
Considering the collars are available fairly cheap, welding it to the drive shaft has just cost you £150 odd?!

nah uncle works at GSF so i get them trade price anyway lol, I'm sure he said he had welded it, yeah isn't ideal but it works.

Well after being chastised by the AA mechanic for buying a " kids car " and the fuss of getting a low loader due to ktec coilovers the Car is currently at two techs so will let you know the outcome. Thanks everyone for all your comments I appreciate them. If it's just a driveshaft I might go for a full suspension refresh while it's there..... Rough with the smooth and all that :rasp:

Right update on this..... Both driveshafts are shot and need replacing with gearbox oil drain etc. Renault parts and labour I'm quoted £715. Do we recommend OE or can I go pattern parts ??

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Right update on this..... Both driveshafts are shot and need replacing with gearbox oil drain etc. Renault parts and labour I'm quoted £715. Do we recommend OE or can I go pattern parts ??

I saw this up @ two techs yesterday looked nice- although it was being pushed in the workshop!
Lucky you didnt knacker the gearbox as well...!!

S

Clio 182 arctic

£715 SOD THAT

You can do it yourself in a few hours for just the parts cost price. Renault are less than £150 a shaft so thats only £300 in parts and what .....£15 for new box oil.
Get the shafts from Renault and get it somewhere else or on your driveway.

Just a quick update on this....

2 new driveshafts
New ball joints ( meant to of been done 3 weeks ago )
New rear pads and discs ( scored to hell )
All new exhaust mounts ( non existent )
Bonnet latch cable
New rear tyres ( split on inside )
New number plate holder ( green on contacts )
New sidelight bulbs ( melted )

Not bad considering I'd had it 2 days and it had a full years MOT on it lol
Still clean bill of health now so cest la vie and all that !!!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Splines on the drive shaft?
Mine did something similar to this.

Starts and works fine, goes into gear, clutch feels normal. But at the bite point it just sounds like metal spinning against metal?
Old thread bump - but adding my comment here for reference.

Mine did exactly the same as the above - both the OPs comments and those of Whetty above. Literally pulling out of a junction in 1st when it went - was the driver's side driveshaft that munched itself.