ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 moral dilemma

Ok this is my (are) problem.

My self and the girlfriend are getting married in August and her dads kindly offered to pay for the lot. Were both made up and cant believe how generous he being as it’s a bloody dear do!

Anyway because he’s paying for the wedding its all of a sudden released funds to, well to buy a 182!

The thing is, if we turn up in a few weeks in a brand new car is it a bit, you know, cheeky? “Look at us we cant afford are own wedding but look at are flash car”

It’s not like this of course; the money we were saving for the wedding is now the “Clio” money, its not as if were paying cash, it’ll be on the drip!

Lou wants to wait until after the wedding but that just seems sneaky to me, like we have something to hide.

I know this is a Clio forum but what do we think?

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Have a chat with her old man and explain how you feel.If he is decent enough to pay for the wedding he sounds a decent bloke.Just tell him you are both going to get the car regardless of if he payed for the wedding or you did and explain you dont want him to think you are only getting the car because hes paying.Thats all he needs to know.Just laugh and tell him its on finance anyway !

Hes a Dad and Dads love to pay for weddings.I have a daughter and when the time comes id gladly pay if i can afford it

Cheers fella. Would love to talk to him about it but

A) Im a wimp.

B) Hes one of these blokes that saves for everythin before he buys it.

C) hes chinese and I cant tell if hes shouting at me or praising me!

Fu

Lol at point C!!

Gotta speak to him though. Else your gona have to wait.

Dont wanna upset the new father in law

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

Its only a Clio. Im sure hed be proud to see his daughter in a nice new little car. Its not like your gonna roll up in a new Mercedes after hes forked out for the wedding is it. Anyway, isnt funding the wedding the brides fathers responsibilty ? Or is that just wishful thinking?!

BMW E46 330i Touring

Quote: Originally posted by Fu Man Chu on 22 January 2005

Cheers fella. Would love to talk to him about it but

A) Im a wimp.

B) Hes one of these blokes that saves for everythin before he buys it.

C) hes chinese and I cant tell if hes shouting at me or praising me!

Fu
lol! love it! Id just say to him how grateful you are that hes paying for it, after all, it is the father of the brides job, and then say that youve bee saving money and you think it would be good for the future of your family to get a nice, reliable (ahem) car, with warranty and all sorts....

To most people, a 182 wont look that flash, like a Merc or Porsche, so the chances are hell just see its a Clio and think it cost you £7000 and youve been sensible...

BTW, that must be some £12,000 wedding youre having! Can I come!?!

Quote: Originally posted by Funkyjahooner on 22 January 2005

Have a chat with her old man and explain how you feel.If he is decent enough to pay for the wedding he sounds a decent bloke.Just tell him you are both going to get the car regardless of if he payed for the wedding or you did and explain you dont want him to think you are only getting the car because hes paying.Thats all he needs to know.Just laugh and tell him its on finance anyway !

Hes a Dad and Dads love to pay for weddings.I have a daughter and when the time comes id gladly pay if i can afford it

Thats what you should do..wise words mate....btw, I have 2 daughters so it could cost me a furtune....:eek:

Simon.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Get him to buy the car and you pay for the wedding.

That seems fair.

fat 182

i getting married in august too get the 182

you can go for a drive one your self and have a bit of fun when your sick of the missus going on about wedding kak

i paid cash for the 182 thank god the family are giving us some £££££££ towards the wedding

or id have to sell it (or maybe not !);)

Quote: Originally posted by Rick on 22 January 2005

Its only a Clio. Im sure hed be proud to see his daughter in a nice new little car. Its not like your gonna roll up in a new Mercedes after hes forked out for the wedding is it. Anyway, isnt funding the wedding the brides fathers responsibilty ? Or is that just wishful thinking?!

yeah it is and its the grooms parents responcibilty to fund the honeymoon.

*Must remember to not have a girl* saying that think of all her fit friends when shes 16/17;)

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent

Quote: Originally posted by Fu Man Chu on 23 January 2005

12k for the wedding????? Try 26k!
buy the car then fund half the wedding problem solved, if you do buy the car before the wedding you gotta get the gordini stripes atleast then it would like a wedding car

Mazda MX5 1.8

Quote: Originally posted by Rick on 22 January 2005

if only it would always like that!! my gfs dad has less money than i do..... and i bought a 8.5k new clio a year back!

but then hes a tw@

but regarding yours......id wait pesonally but thats just me

Volvo S60 T5

buy it after the wedding, say it was a wedding pressie from a rich aunt!

Wait a while IMO, or just say you got a good finance deal.

Astra VXR 17/05/07

26k for a wedding :eek::eek::eek:

I dont think buying the car is taking the piss but having a wedding that costs £26k and someone else footing the bill is !

Im sorry but i dont care how much the guy insists i could not allow anyone to spend that much on a wedding.

If he is minted then the car wont bother him.If hes not minted then give the guy a break and have a cheaper wedding !