ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Oil Temp Gauge...

Clio 197

Hiya Chaps,

What bits do I need to see my 182 oil temp? Id like a gauge to see what its at.

Is it easy to fit? What do I connect it to?

Cheers!

Oms.

Demon Tweeks do a kit I think which consists of a replacment sump plug.

I think it would be a good idea on a 172 etc just to see how hot that oil gets if its anything like the WIlliams there going to be a few failure 172 engine where owners have tracked then and not changed the oil realising the oils turned to junk.

Im not sure hwo youd wire it up depends where you want it and the output. You might be able to wire it up to the exterial light temp so that instead of reading external air temp it reads oil temp (youd have to make some sort of converter maybe so it reads 1/2 the temp ie 60 on the gauge = 120 degrees but it would be a good hidden mod.

Vee dub

Good Idea Oms

I love having mine in the valver, really good idea and looks cool

Tom

tiTTy & SV650

people used to talk about this all the time on here, Ally wanted one for his mk2 172 IIRC, someone posted a replacement sump plug as used by some dude in an elise I think.

Clio 197

Good...!

So a replacement sump plug - easy.

And a nice discreet gauge...

I might even go for a coolant gauge too (renaults own CANNOT be trusted).

Im on the case.

Cheers chaps.

Lionel Richie

"i think" demon tweeks have a sandwich plate for an oil temp sensor

goes inbetween filter and block

Clio 1.4, SV650S

i posted the elise plug. :D

you need one wire from the temp sender

one wire from gauge to earth

and one to a switched +ve so it powers off the key.

ive got an oil temp gauge i never fitted if you want it. £15 and ill post it too

though the mod to use the external temp readout would be pretty cool. just need to find out what resistance you need for the dash display and the pin that it connects to on the plug on the back of the display... no wait you could just hijack the external temp sensor wires!

edde i was looking for some info this morning re. dash temp display. have u got the details for the pins on the back of the plug for the display please fella? sure u have post6ed them before but the search sucks atm.

The input gauges are on the 15 track grey connecter on the display unit.

One is brown and one is green. They are the only two on there own.

The Green one is the + signal input.

The Brown one is the zero volts signal.

At the moment I cannot find the result for the output for the temperature sensor but there a thermo couple Im sure ie they dont give a linier output for temperature. This might be difficult to match up depending on the output of an oil temperature sensor.

Ive found Demon Tweeks sell two different temp sensors suitable one if prices from £7 or so. The other is priced at £27 or so. However well need an adapter as there are M14 or M10 (you have a choice0 so that £3 extra.

Ive got to go that way tomorrow so Ill pop in and ask them about the cheaper sensors there probaly just the same thing but dont match with there rally computers so are cheaper or something.

Removing it would be very easy just unplug the connect the use a spanner on it unlike the 8mm sump nut you have to use. It wou;ld stick down about cm so if youre very low that might be a problem however it wont go any lower than the splitter so as long as the splitter doesnt hit anything the gauge should be fine.

Clio 1.4, SV650S

excellent edde. only thing is my car doesnt have a temp sensor i wanted to fit one from scratch. i dont think there are any green or brown wires connected at the moment!!

dont suppose you know which pins on the connector it goes to? i think a bit of soldering will be in order! ill take the dash off if i get chance and take a photo of the connector.

cheers dude sorry for more questions!!!

Clio 1.4, SV650S

ok got off my arse and installed diologies and figured out how to make it work! fiddly software, maybe its just my laptop!

http://premium1.uploadit.org/gladey/grey-plug.GIFinfo on the grey plug inputs

http://premium1.uploadit.org/gladey/temp-sensor-values.GIFresistance values for external temp sensor

im going to see if i can find a cheap temp sensor from RS or some electronics shop that has those same resistances. then ill have a look to see if the display can be set up on clios that didnt originally have the sensor. then will try and fool it into taking a feed from an oil temp sender. though dunno when ill get round to that.

Since the 182 rev limit is already based on oil temperature, am I the only thicko here thinking that the system already knows the oil temperature based on a sensor of some sort?

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 03 September 2005
water, not oil temp.  

Are you sure? My rev limiter stays on the lower level LONG after the water has reached temperature. Sometimes up to 10 minutes.