ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 or 197?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Ive got you down as more than just a dickhead thats for sure.

I've just rand my mum and she's going to bring me some tissues to dry my eyes.

I've picked bogeys that are more intelligent than you. Being insulted by you means no more to me than a stranger farting in their own car.

F56 MINI Cooper S
I've just rand my mum and she's going to bring me some tissues to dry my eyes.

I've picked bogeys that are more intelligent than you. Being insulted by you means no more to me than a stranger farting in their own car.

give a flying fcuk? and basically goes for you too, means sweet fa seeing as you like to dish out abuse to alot of people you dont know

Hello all -- very interested in this thread (well at least parts of it!) as looking to buy a 197 and its great to hear others views on 200 v 197 v 182.

The one point I don't see mentioned much is the crash test ratings for these cars. The 197 gets a 5 star EURONCAP rating and it would definitely be the one i'd be happier being in if heaven forbid it came to having an accident.

Standard 197 fare seems to include side impact protection airbags and the chassis protects the passenger far better overall than the 182 and importantly more than any other super mini out there in the same age bracket. Now pure driving pleasure will always be the top priority for these cars and it looks as though a 197 has this nailed well (as does the 182 in particular the Trophy) - so a real differentiator IMO is safety.

Would be great to hear others views on this...

Both cars have relatively good safety ratings. I'd be VERY surprised if someone picks one over the other just because of safety.

Sounds stupid, but I dont really pay any attention to safety ratings etc when I choose cars to buy.

Evo 5 RS
lol is this where you go off and find out your Lotus has 2 stars Dan? :p

Usually means sweet FA anyway tbh. It's all a lottery. Unless it's a Metro. Then you might as well say your prayers before impact

Has it?! I honestly haven't checked, and I'm not that bothered either tbh. I'm surprised it's got an airbag to be honest! (passenger hasnt got one though)

Evo 5 RS
lol no idea mate! I'd guess and say 3!

Edit: Was bored so looked...It doesn't have one. lmao

Last edited:
Interestingly - there is a big difference between the way a 182 and a 197 crashes. Also in the side impact as the 182 has no airbags to stop your head hitting a telegraph pole for example. Personally I'd far prefer to be in the 197 in an accident. That's not to say the 182 is bad - it was rated as four stars but the 197 is a leap forward.

For example in a 40mph offset frontal impact:

182 - good chance both driver and passenger would suffer internal chest injuries
197 - little chance both driver and passenger would suffer internal chest injuries

That's the difference in 5 years safety improvements.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Can safely say that i dont look into crash safety when buying a sh1tbox french tin can.

Id rather be driving the 182 and have a smile on my face when i fly through a hedge backwards.

The 197 would still be sat at home as id run out of money to keep fueling it.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Can safely say that i dont look into crash safety when buying a sh1tbox french tin can.

Id rather be driving the 182 and have a smile on my face when i fly through a hedge backwards.

Since you've had both Dave, what MPG were they chucking out?

RB 182 FF

I like this..! :D

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Interestingly - there is a big difference between the way a 182 and a 197 crashes. Also in the side impact as the 182 has no airbags to stop your head hitting a telegraph pole for example. Personally I'd far prefer to be in the 197 in an accident. That's not to say the 182 is bad - it was rated as four stars but the 197 is a leap forward.

For example in a 40mph offset frontal impact:

182 - good chance both driver and passenger would suffer internal chest injuries
197 - little chance both driver and passenger would suffer internal chest injuries

That's the difference in 5 years safety improvements.

They have airbags at the top of the front seats!

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Dunno what to do guys. Want a Clio RS for sure, and I've got a kid wanting to buy my Cupra this weekend.

197's, y u gotta be so bad on fuel?!

Megane r26
Tbh I average 31-32mpg mixed driving (bit around town an to work an back which is country b roads). Its not quite as good as my old 172 but not alot worse considering fuel prices have risen and I think the 172 mpg computer is a bit sceptical :s