ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182- performance

have u runned in ur 182s? if so, what sort of speeds did u reach and how was it like?

please mention if u got any mods on ur car...

any significant difference between the 182 and the 172?

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R

I get mine next week bud. Cant wait. Ordering one of those BMC CDA Induction kits tomorrow. Im going to bed it in nicely though. My mates neighbour works for Renault and he has a 182 at the moment, but he changes his car every 3 months and is getting a Megane 225 next. His ECU has just gone to pot on the 182 but it was obviously fixed under warranty for nothing. Still a shame though, typical Renault I guess. Some are good uns, and some arent.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Wow youve over taken me. im on 3200

did 135mph on a12 this morning.

Yea, currently doing a 100 mile per day commute during the week!!!

I think its safe to say my 182 is run in now!!!

Did 130 on a special private road on Sunday. Very impressed with the acceleration between 100 to 130. Also was very surprised to see 100 on another stretch of road around a fair curve (deserted and good visibility for a long distance). Did not feel like 100 at all, very composed. Hence my theory below.

This is going to be contentious but, its got be as fast as a cup!!

I have driven all three 172, cup and my 182. The cup certainly felt the most lively with the front end sliding wide under power off roundabouts etc and spinning up giving the impression of more power, but the 182 has ESP and therefore does not understeer or spin up a lot (if at all) and so does not seem as exiting. The cup is also got less sound deadening material and less equipment and therefore is a far more raw experience. The 182 seems to insulate the driver from the exitement more. Just my opinion is this, I do not want to start a slanging match. The only real test is going to be side by side 1/4 mile and track day etc.

I have a modded MK2 Golf with a genuine 200bhp & Quaife LSD. This has done 15.11 1/4 mile and should therefore be similar in performance to the 182 if not a fraction slower. The Golf seems a lot more aggressive and faster than my 182 for similar reasons IMO to the Cup.

Await the onslaught

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

that makes alot of sense.

fit a loud induction kit and the car feels faster because you hear whats going on. in a cup its a manic collection of noises, which is lovely i might add.

Its a diffrent kind of car the cup is a Raw experience which obviously appeals and the 182 is just a refined version.

Quote: Originally posted by welsh182 on 06 April 2004

Did 130 on a special private road on Sunday. Very impressed with the acceleration between 100 to 130. Also was very surprised to see 100 on another stretch of road around a fair curve (deserted and good visibility for a long distance). Did not feel like 100 at all, very composed. Hence my theory below.

I have driven all three 172, cup and my 182. The cup certainly felt the most lively with the front end sliding wide under power off roundabouts etc and spinning up giving the impression of more power, but the 182 has ESP and therefore does not understeer or spin up a lot (if at all) and so does not seem as exiting. The cup is also got less sound deadening material and less equipment and therefore is a far more raw experience. The 182 seems to insulate the driver from the exitement more. Just my opinion is this, I do not want to start a slanging match. The only real test is going to be side by side 1/4 mile and track day etc.

I have a modded MK2 Golf with a genuine 200bhp & Quaife LSD. This has done 15.11 1/4 mile and should therefore be similar in performance to the 182 if not a fraction slower. The Golf seems a lot more aggressive and faster than my 182 for similar reasons IMO to the Cup.

Await the onslaught

How is it contentious? Of course they are going to have similar performance, just as some 172 will stay with a 182 and some 182s will be faster than some Cups and some Cups faster than 182s etc etc. Ive been in/raced enough 172s to know there is a big difference between specific cars. Just glad I got a goodun;)

Quote: Originally posted by welsh182 on 06 April 2004

I have driven all three 172, cup and my 182. The cup certainly felt the most lively with the front end sliding wide under power off roundabouts etc and spinning up giving the impression of more power, but the 182 has ESP and therefore does not understeer or spin up a lot (if at all) and so does not seem as exiting.

The Williams has NO ESP and does not understeer. Not my two examples anyway. And the particulatly nice engine means that spinning out of a corner is not a problem as you can pull out in a higher gear and that acts like a nice traction control.

The cup is also got less sound deadening material and less equipment and therefore is a far more raw experience. The 182 seems to insulate the driver from the exitement more. Just my opinion is this, I do not want to start a slanging match. The only real test is going to be side by side 1/4 mile and track day etc.

Await the onslaught

Usually is contentiuous when these discussions arise, I really liked the cup and genuinely found it more exciting to drive.

I commute 90 miles a day and wanted the creature comforts, both are really great but different cars and the 182 suits my needs better.

I agree, if I had to use my car for business or had to travel a big distance to get to work I would not have bought a Cup.

Stromba, I dont think that spinning up out of corners is a problem, it is actually very satisying controlling the spin and slides which occur, my point was, that is why the Cup feels more exciting and hence faster.

Edit -

And I have never had the pleasure of driving a Williams which I am sure is also a great car.

Tappd'd RS

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 06 April 2004

I agree, if I had to use my car for business or had to travel a big distance to get to work I would not have bought a Cup.
I did - but I changed it for the CTR.

it was fun tho, but I couldnt do all the mods that I wanted to and that youve done neil - you bringing it to the meet over the weekend - Id love to see it!

Its the standard Renault mount, its perished and cant hold the weight of the magnex BB, ill try and get it fixed asap.

Tappd'd RS

cool, maybe see you at the weekend.

Sorry tri3 for going off-topic ;)

Carry on chaps! ....