ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 puncture repair.

Artic blue clio 182

Just wandering if anyone has used their puncture repair kit?

You know, the one that doesnt include a spare wheel!

Is it just me, or does anyone else not like this idea? It involves injecting the tire with an aresol which should seal the hole temporally, until you have it repaired i take it. I cant see it working if you manage to split the sidewall or something like that!

I think i read somrwhere that it requires 2 aresols for 1 repair.... can anyone confirm this as i only have 1 aresol in my kit.

Mills.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50

IIRC You cant have the tyre repaired after you fill it with tyre foam...

I was given 2 aresols in my kit and i used one the other day when i had a flat.. i was only 100 yards from home though.

Artic blue clio 182

So once you have used the foam, you need to get a new tyre?

How long can you drive with the foamed tyre?

Any ideas how much the aresols are from renault?

Thanx for the info.

BMW M3

Hey Mills,

I also have just one repair kit and it worked perfectly when i used it. Got a massive puncture which went down in 5 mins... put the foam in and then immediatly drove the car in order to seal the hole. Then went to a garage to pump the tyre up and it lasted for ages before i decided to repair the tyre.

You are right in thinking you cant used it for a puncture in the side wall...

Watch out though when you come to repair the tyre cause my garage told me that once that stuff goes in, you need to replace the tyre..... a complete lie!!! I agreed to get it replaced which cost me a fortune but then spoke to a friend that has his own tyre repairing company up north and he said that all you need to do is wash the stuff out and then plug it. Some garages will tell you that repairing a tyre is dangerous, but my friend assures me it is fine and its just a way for the garages to make money... your choice to make though.

I now use the repaired tyre as a spare...

Oh... and dont get renault to replace the foam for you either as they completly rip you off.... got a replacment can from Halfords for just under a fiver!!!

Hope this helps...

Justin

dk

911 GTS Cab

you do need 2 cans to fill a tyre, ofcourse it will depend on the seriousness of the puncture.

You dont have to buy Renault ones, you can get themj most places.

And yes once you have used the foam it is VERY difficult to get out of the tyre to repair it so you might aswell right it off although I have heard of someone doing it before.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50

When i had the tyre foam in i was told not to drive about 30mph.. i drove at 30mph for 8 miles to where a tyre place had 1 of 3 michelins that were in the country.. i paid £107 for 1 tyre.

Artic blue clio 182

Ok, well think i will be visiting Halfords for a replacment aresol, to be on the safe side.

Ive just had a puncture, but in the inner sidewall, so ive had to order a new tyre..... Michelin pilot 205 40 R16, 88quid plus vat.... about 100quid, i thought that was bad enough. It had lots of tread too!

Thanks for the advice guys, hopefully wont need to use the kit for a while.

Happy puncture-free driving to you all!

Mills.

BMW M3

no probs.... you think £100 is bad, i had to fork out £140 and could not go anywhere else as they were the only garage to have it on the day is was doing a 400 mile trip!!!... typical. Hope this makes you feel better..lol

Artic blue clio 182

Oouuch! Dont feel quite so bad now!

Unfortunately its something you just gotta have init,

thanks again for the help.

Mills.

Mini Cooper S sport

Ah bugger, I only have one can of foam. Id best get another one, but I hope I never get a puncture, it sounds a right fart about.

you could do what I did & buy a 2nd hand wheeel. I put a new tyre on it so when I come to change tyres I will use this along with an other new one & keep the best worn one as the spare. It sits nicely in the boot under the cargo net as well.

A lot better than the foam & if I do get a puncture I can the hopefully get it repaired. Also better than driving @ 30mph if you are miles from home.

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220

I only got one can as well! I am trying to get hold of a spare wheel anyway and carry it in the boot. I am not bothered about saving weight.