ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Replacement Calipers

Clio 197

I want better brakes... so:

1) AP Racing or Willwood? (4 pots)

2) Front only or front and rear

3) Will I need a better seatbelt?

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z

omar go for Brembos, ive got a mate in the trade that can do them for £800+VAT he would only be able to get them for me tho :-( soz. Think they are in the region of £1200 rrp. PM rmcardnal...he has them on his beast! Next choice would be AP Racing....would be fronts only i think, also....get harnesses :)

307 hdi (powered by derv)

yozzas kit seems to be very highly rated. Dont think he does calipers though come to think of it.

Omar, how desperate are you? We can have a chat about it at the Sprint weekend.

There are quite a few options that may be available, but nearly £1000 on brakes for a Clio is a bit excessive when you will be able to get a set-up that performs just as well for around half the price.

Clio 197

^^^

Absolutely! Thats why Im also considering Willwood etc..

Ive been meaning to give you a call, as you were highly recommended by Edde.

The std setup gets too hot, ruining both the pads and fluid... I cooked-em @ the ring and brands.

In fact @ brands, then pedal went hard, and wouldnt go down.. so I had to stop, lol.

See you @ the sprint then?

Clio 197

I try to fit them in when I can afford to...

But changing pads and fluid on a regular basis is a false economy!

Im very heavy and late on the brakes anyway (when having fun)... Id like something that can cope with the heat.

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z

How do the cup racers do it? They run the same set up as me dont they (PF pads, ss lines etc) Does brake cooling make a substantial difference? If so i might order me some of those brake cooling ducts and do away with the fogs :eek:)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Omar, keep me posted on your progress.

If i dont sell the car i will have to do something like this too.

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z

^ lol. Ive seen it there evertime ive been over the last 5 months or so haha. Will be awesome once finished!

Lionel Richie

the 182 wheels are crap for cooling

omar, you MUST abuse your brakes fella, do you use the engine to slow down at all????

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355

Omar, buy a Trophy!. Then youll be able to carry so much more speed into the corners thanks to the suspension that you wont need to use the brakes ;) :p

Audi A6 (S3 on order)

Quote: Originally posted by Gary G on 15 August 2005

^ lol. Ive seen it there evertime ive been over the last 5 months or so haha. Will be awesome once finished!
Itll probably go back in a few months after for a new 6speed gearbox and some other "tweaks" ;)

Ben and Andy miss her so much when I have her.

How do you guys brake? I guess its more a user problem than a hardware problem. ;)

Go for standard Brembo dics/rotors 24x280mm, PFC97 pads and a good quality brake fluid like Motul RBF600 or ATE Superblue.

There is absolute no way that you will be able to cook the fluid or fade the brakes on the Ring or at any track if you use the brakes properly.
Ive taken our 172 to the Ring with this set up and I have been doing 20 flat out laps on tracks (here in Sweden) known for been really hard on the brakes.
With above set up there is always plenty of stopping ability left. No sign of fading what so ever.

PFC97s are a bit expensive, but they more or less last forever... Ive done at least 10 trackdays on my current set of PFC97s with very little wear to the pads. The downside is that you have to replace the discs more often as the pads are rather agressive, and that the wheels are beeing damaged by the brake dust. (On track replace your bling wheels whit a set of cheap 7x15" ET37 rims for the R-rubber and forget about the dust problem.)

:) :)

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z

Do you find the dust also finds its way to the paintwork??

[Edited by Gary G on 15 August 2005 at 4:49pm]

Ross....i hate you!!! lol *insanely jealous* lol

Audi A6 (S3 on order)

Most of us want brakes that can be used on a day to day basis too.

A few people have run the PF pads and then changed back due to noise/dust issues.

Big juicy 4pots give me the best of both worlds. Also, where I drive (milton keynes) if you know a better way of braking from 110-40 that pushing the pedal in the middle ... send me a postcard from 10 roundabouts behind me. ;) The standard setup was rather mushy after 3 or 4 big stops.

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by Falk on 15 August 2005
How do you guys brake? I guess its more a user problem than a hardware problem. ;)

Go for standard Brembo dics/rotors 24x280mm, PFC97 pads and a good quality brake fluid like Motul RBF600 or ATE Superblue.

There is absolute no way that you will be able to cook the fluid or fade the brakes on the Ring or at any track if you use the brakes properly.
Ive taken our 172 to the Ring with this set up and I have been doing 20 flat out laps on tracks (here in Sweden) known for been really hard on the brakes.
With above set up there is always plenty of stopping ability left. No sign of fading what so ever.

PFC97s are a bit expensive, but they more or less last forever... Ive done at least 10 trackdays on my current set of PFC97s with very little wear to the pads. The downside is that you have to replace the discs more often as the pads are rather agressive, and that the wheels are beeing damaged by the brake dust. (On track replace your bling wheels whit a set of cheap 7x15" ET37 rims for the R-rubber and forget about the dust problem.)

i should give this guy a job working for Yozzasport!!!!

Audi A6 (S3 on order)

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 15 August 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Falk on 15 August 2005

i should give this guy a job working for Yozzasport!!!!
Give him Yozs job ;)

clio 200 F4Rt

dont hispec do a kit?

have got billet 4 pots on 285mm two peice discs on my track day saxo, and always worked well. especailly now i got mintex 1155 on them

Clio 197

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 15 August 2005

the 182 wheels are crap for cooling

omar, you MUST abuse your brakes fella, do you use the engine to slow down at all????
Hiya fred...

Yup - my first step in the right direction is my OZ Superleggs for better cooling.

As for abuse... Im not really not really abusive to them... But I dont like taking a break every ten minutes when going round a track, lol!

I try not to use my engine too much for braking... This one needs to last me 80,000 miles.

Tom: Ill keep you posted, as I really have to sort it out.

PS Now I have a burst shocker somewhere too... pain in the arze!

Clio 197

Quote: Originally posted by matty w on 15 August 2005

What about tarox they do a 6 pot kit with standard size discs for about £650
ooo, Ill have a look...

Is 6-pot overkill on a 182? (PS std brakes are one-pot arent they).

Ideally you want o break a little earlier into the cornewrs, ands then you can egtt eh car ballenced into the corner trsther then just chucking it in, brake earlier and you will find you need to rake less as you can carry more speed round the corners.

Atleast thaqts what the 60 odd instructor told me at Anglesey

Lionel Richie

172/182s the best way to slow them down is using the engine/gearbox

heal and toe is the technique you need to learn

Quote: Originally posted by omar on 15 August 2005

Quote: Originally posted by matty w on 15 August 2005

What about tarox they do a 6 pot kit with standard size discs for about £650
ooo, Ill have a look...

Is 6-pot overkill on a 182? (PS std brakes are one-pot arent they).
The number of pots isnt a huge issue. 6 pots would be excessive. Dont forget your running a bigger disk than the williams so should cool down faster and since everyone who has used them including mark whe hes rally and tracking has never faded them I cannot see any problem.

6 pots are an advantage when running very large discs and you have minimal clearance to the wheel. As they have 2 extra pistons, the pistons themselves can be that much smaller enabling the caliper to be shallower.

In my experience the 2 most important aspects of the brake set-up are the caliper and the quality of the pad. Get these 2 things right and it doesnt matter what discs you use.