ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 to Evo.... back to clio?

ex 182, now Evo IV
Bought a my 182 Liquid yellow around a year ago now, sold it off about 2 months ago now. After i sold it got myself a Mitsi Evo IV, which now im regretting. I like the car etc but the problem is my insurance is about 3 times more than my clio, it does about 5MPG and with fuel costing 1.45 for V-power it is costing me a absolute fortune:mad: and really doesn't seem worth it. My clio felt just as quick and was a million times more fun to drive...

So time to sell the evo and go back to a 172 cup or maybe a 182 Trophy:cool:

anyone else done anything similar?

ex 182, now Evo IV
I was sure of how much i was going to spend on the evo, its just not worth it, the clio just felt so much quicker. and alot better to drive,
Me thinks a Trophy! its okay im only paying 3500 on insurance... my clio was 1300 .... LOL.

p.s i am only 19..

Clio V6, M4 Comp, X5
The IV was an ok Evo but you should of waited until you could of got a VI as its miles better than a IV (ive had 2 IVs, 3 VIs and a VII)

You're only 19 so dont write off getting another Evo yet :)

I do like my Clio but its not a patch on any Evo ive had BUT they all cost alot more so its not really a fair comparison.

Gay Clio 172 phs1
lol I went from a clio williams to a phs 1 172 to an impreza blobeye then to an evo 5 back to a clio 172 phs 1 on itbs with 216hp and recently broke that for parts as they are girly :D Oh and a zx6r b1h between the evo and itb clio which made everything I've ever owned just outright pants.

ex 182, now Evo IV
The IV was an ok Evo but you should of waited until you could of got a VI as its miles better than a IV (ive had 2 IVs, 3 VIs and a VII)

You're only 19 so dont write off getting another Evo yet :)

I do like my Clio but its not a patch on any Evo ive had BUT they all cost alot more so its not really a fair comparison.

Yup i kinda rushed into getting the IV as i had the money burning a hole in my back pocket, and tbh i would of prefered a VI but at my age the insurance premiums are ridiculous, i think im gonna pop back to a 182 trophy or a 172 cup, give a couple of years and maybe try again, but its just really not my thing at the mo :(

ex 182, now Evo IV
lol I went from a clio williams to a phs 1 172 to an impreza blobeye then to an evo 5 back to a clio 172 phs 1 on itbs with 216hp and recently broke that for parts as they are girly :D Oh and a zx6r b1h between the evo and itb clio which made everything I've ever owned just outright pants.

and id love to have a bike like that, but again, im too young cant even take my real bike test until 21, unless it was restricted to 33bhp or whatever, imo pointless when that bike has so much power.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
How do u get your Clio insurance for 1300 I'm 19 and couldn't find it less that 2000 :S

ex 182, now Evo IV
What do you do to afford these cars at 19 :/? Sorry if it's rude I'm really stumped at people around my age with these cars
haha, well i have quite a well paid job (Refrigeration Engineer), and i have 2 incomes as i also own a music shop. i hate bragging about it, but yeah..

ex 182, now Evo IV
How do u get your Clio insurance for 1300 I'm 19 and couldn't find it less that 2000 :S

well a year ago with admiral my clio 182(liquid Yellow) 05 plate was 1395 or something and that was paid off in 1 go, if you pay it monthly its alot more,
and that was with 1 yrs. NCB and added my parents as additional drivers.
never use the compare sites as they just come up with crap, do it direct and phone them, and it was with admiral

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Ahh right I must have just come along at the wrong time then lol o well it's up again in 3 months plus over 1 year of ownership so should be better lol

clio sport cup
ive always had subarus.until fuel cost went up.the best thing i ever did was to buy a clio sport.it was not what i was looking for but i fell in love with it.its so much fun and alot lighter on my pockett.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My Evo was a million times better than any Clio i've owned. I'd have it back any day of the week.

Like all cars though, you get good ones and bad ones.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
and id love to have a bike like that, but again, im too young cant even take my real bike test until 21, unless it was restricted to 33bhp or whatever, imo pointless when that bike has so much power.

How many people on the restricted licence stick to 33hp? ;)

Plus the restriction is automatically lifted after 2 years.

200 cup (van blanc)
i took delivery of a 200 cup 1 week ago, traded in my 06MY wrx wagon with ppp
the clio isnt run in yet but still really enjoying it
have had 3 RS (182,225,197) and knew i would end up in another one
really enjoyed scoob ownership and would have another one tomorrow (if ownership costs went down or i get 6 numbers!)

Clio 182 cup ff
I had an Evo 4 a couple of years back. Sold for a legacy gtb twin turbo (i got a big dog!) then sold that for a Clio. Turbo cars did 20mpg at best and 6mpg at worst, were too clinical and too fast to have fun in. Seemed to be constantly battling to keep below speed limits. Clio is cheaper to run, insure and repair but I miss the lunacy a bit!

Clio 172
Performance car wise i started with a Sierra Cosworth 4x4, which was fast but cost ALOT to run, then had a BMW 540 which again was fairly fast but cost alot to run, then i got the clio, which is quickish and cheap, which atm i am very happy with, however with summer looming the urge for something more powerful is starting to take hold

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
How can a clio be just as quick?! From A to B or literally?! - Don't get that.

Don't get me wrong, i've had 2.0 RS clio's and they are 'fun' but i couldn't go back to one. Too slow, FWD is crap, interior is balls, no toys, nowt special now! It's a very diluted brand. Then again i wouldn't buy an evo tho, especially not one that costs 3.5k to insure. More money than sense clearly.

Stripped yozza'd cup

Don't get me wrong, i've had 2.0 RS clio's and they are 'fun' but i couldn't go back to one. Too slow, FWD is crap, interior is balls, no toys, nowt special now! It's a very diluted brand. Then again i wouldn't buy an evo tho, especially not one that costs 3.5k to insure. More money than sense clearly.

Angry Scotsman strikes again :rasp: lol

As said though... you'd ahve to be mental to spend £3.5k on insurance.... I'd never buy an evo or a scooby, just because of the OBSCENE insurance costs. twice as much as an 06 plate Audi RS4 for me. ridiculous.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

Slow compared to a Z4M or V6 or slow in general? :p

Clio 182
I've also came from an e36m3 to a 182, and I love the clio, it's fun and cheap, buit the urge for more power on motorways will always be there now!

R

random172

I've just bought my missus a ph2 172, and have an '03 blob-eye STi myself. both are fun in different ways - so why switch, have one of each :)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Angry Scotsman strikes again :rasp: lol

As said though... you'd ahve to be mental to spend £3.5k on insurance.... I'd never buy an evo or a scooby, just because of the OBSCENE insurance costs. twice as much as an 06 plate Audi RS4 for me. ridiculous.

Insurance is fine for me overall. Evo is around £700. If you live in a pikey area then it's to be expected.

Slow compared to a Z4M or V6 or slow in general? :p

Both. They feel so gutless. I hated the last 172 i had. Nowt wrong with it...i've just grown out the scene thats all.

Stripped yozza'd cup
I've just bought my missus a ph2 172, and have an '03 blob-eye STi myself. both are fun in different ways - so why switch, have one of each :)

This is the way forward! I want to buy something straight line fast and comfortable, like an RS4 and keep the Clio for weekend sillyness.

Insurance is fine for me overall. Evo is around £700. If you live in a pikey area then it's to be expected.

My postcode is category A, so it's not that that's the problem. Just crash statistics for the scooby / evo i guess?

260% JCW
Did you not realise that it would cost a lottery win for a 19 year old to insure and then a small fortune to run and maintain.

Kids these days.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Just go back to a clio for a few years, i'd go for a 197 in your situation though.

as above do your bike test, dont bother restricting. And go super fast for super cheap then get another clio for cruising around in.

Arctic Blue 182ff
I had a 300hp nissan 200sx s14a a few years ago - total win. Light, RWD, cheap to insure (compared to scooby/evo)! I miss the grunt, it was hugely fun and made all sorts of noises, bangs, grumbles, and was 100% perfectly reliable for the 3 years I owned it.

The clio IS a downgrade. A good laugh though, I admit, but I do miss the straight line pace and the RWD ofcourse :) but costly fixes, rust, and 22mpg just had to go unfortunately :( I'll get an S15 in a few years when the prices come down a bit :)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

Both. They feel so gutless. I hated the last 172 i had. Nowt wrong with it...i've just grown out the scene thats all.

Regardless how you cut it, a Renault Sport Clio is still a very capable hatch.

I do always find it funny how "pish" they become when folk move away from them ;)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I do always find it funny how "pish" they become when folk move away from them ;)

This always makes me LOL too.

They are not about how fast they go in my opinion, it is about how they drive.

FWD they may be, but in terms of the driving experience as a package, there's not much out there that betters them regardless of price.

The fact that you can run one on pennies is a bonus.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Regardless how you cut it, a Renault Sport Clio is still a very capable hatch.

I am the polar opposite. Every car i've had has left me regretting selling the clio before it. M3, Evo, Subaru. I've sold all of them and replaced them with a clio of some sort. Pound for pound they're unbeatable imo.

ex 182, now Evo IV
I am the polar opposite. Every car i've had has left me regretting selling the clio before it. M3, Evo, Subaru. I've sold all of them and replaced them with a clio of some sort. Pound for pound they're unbeatable imo.

Exactly my point, it just doesn't feel the same and for a car thats cheap and drives well and handles like the dogs its unbeatable.

Maybe i just bought a bad evo? but still it will be sold, maybe another day..