ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Trophy, or 197 cup.

LY V6 with Recaros
Hmm, probably the 197 cup in white, but as I've not driven one yet then I can't really say.

Twin Scroll Impreza STI
Seriously; if you have to look at MPG when considering a fun hot hatch, then I think you are in the wrong market for a car.

Just go for a regular hatch or a diesel.

coming from a near 400bhp evo thats the first thing i did.! lol

Trophy fitted nicley.

Trophy if your gonna do any track stuff as there great fun.......

Not driven a 197 Cup but the R27 just didn't do it for me although I've only driven it at Bedford.

:)

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Gotta be the Trophy!!!!:)

Renault let themselves down with the the curb weight of the new Clio. It's terrible!!!:(

MPG will be better with the Trophy also.

Just like Integra Type R. DC 2 is the REAL driver's car not the DC 5.

Lee

BMW M2C
Im looking forward to seeing all these white cars

The funny thing is that everyone will think they are common just because a few people on here have them. Only sados like us will order them in white. Normal people will have racing blue or nimbus.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Get the Trophy and pocket the change left over.

In fact with the cash left over you could do a TB conversion.

I'd have a Cup, it's the much better car now I've had time to really appreciate how much better they handle than any of the older Clio's

RS 172
I think whatever way you look at it, the 197 is the car to get now. The Trophy is a sweet car, but you gotta go down the new road in the long run IMO.

RS RIP
Get the Trophy and pocket the change left over.

In fact with the cash left over you could do a TB conversion.

This is the wisest comment i've read here. After the TB's you'll love it to death and never want another car anymore

197 too heavy...

that's the bottom line for me too in all of this - they're both FWD hatches and one's (IMO) obviously much better suited to track work than the other - the trophy is considerably cheaper and considerably lighter. it's the weight thing that wins it in the end as it has a bonus effect on pretty much everything else - it goes better and stops better and its tyres, brakes and dampers (etc) are all (theoretically) going to last longer as a consequence.

ignoring the fashionability of the 197 (*cough*), the only real practical plus point in its favour is the fact that it'll likely have more mechanical grip due to advances in suspension design - but is that extra grip worth £4k plus all of the downsides?

i'd still buy something else though!:quiet: :rolleyes:

Lee

BMW M2C
Henry, a Trophy doesn't stop anywhere near as well as a 197.

I'm assuming you've all driven both cars extensively to be able comment? Most of you are going on the paper figures and have never driven a 197/R27/Cup more than just a quick spin with the local Renault dealer.

help the OP out and tell him why (ed. at Roy Munson)

Lee - admittedly, i've not driven either and (in hindsight) can appreciate that the brakes will also have evolved. the trophy's won't be inadequate by comparison though.

no offence to the OP but this isn't going anywhere - people are voting for one or the other without giving their reasons; i think it'd help him out if they put themselves in his shoes and gave their reasons

Last edited:

I'm assuming you've all driven both cars extensively to be able comment? Most of you are going on the paper figures and have never driven a 197/R27/Cup more than just a quick spin with the local Renault dealer.

I drove a 197 some time back and I was immensely impressed with the handling and stopping. It had far more grip and composure than my 182Cup. It corners flatter and makes the 182 feel like it's scraping round on its door mirror by comparison. The interior, and exterior were also in a different league to my 182, which was parked next to the 197 for easy comparison. I wasn't so imprerssed with the steering and gearing, although I believe both of these have recently been improved. f**k only knows how well the 197 handles with the Cup chassis.

182trophy & Williams

I agree Lee, well its fact, the cups got brembos:) .Only test drove the 197 so far.waiting for smiths to get a cup.

Answer to the question.what do you think:) Tomato everytime!;)

Lee

BMW M2C
A Trophy is always going to be special though.:eek: The last blast of the raw light hot hatch.

The Brembos on the 197 are amazing. They can take lap after lap of hard braking and still hit the same mark lap after lap. Amazing.

182trophy & Williams
^^You might know fella.Will the 197 brembos fit on ma trophy? been thinking of doing it since i test drove that 197.

Think your right there about the last of the raw light hot hatch.shame