ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182/Trophy Reliability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Being on this forum for so long it's not going to help but on the whole they don't sound too bad. I know some have had nightmares though.

I'm mostly asking about the Trophy in general but the components are all the same.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The Sachs dampers need a rebuild every years or few dozen thousands miles to keep them in peak condition, other than that they are very reliable cars like all other 1*2s in terms of the major components but expect the occasional sensor failure or random warning light for no obvious reason etc.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
My trophy was spot on, had been looked after though which makes a big difference. Everything serviced when it should of been.

As long as they are looked after they seem pretty strong. Most of the issues I had with my RB were due to the aux kit not being done with the cambelt. Once the full kit was replaced the only problems I had was an injector going (but at 95k it's to be expected) and the GB going at 100k, but again things like this are to be expected at high miles when it's likely had a hard time most it's life.

So, you thinking of getting a Trophy?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
They cost f*ck all to run, & even when they do eventually break, the parts cost so little you'll earn enough money to fix it whilst taking a sh1t at work.

Cornering Force now refurb the Sachs for circa £250 a pair btw, none of this £400-£700 rubbish that BG were charging.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah the good thing about them sharing almost everything mechanical other than a few suspension bits the same right back to ph1 172 is that parts are pennies secondhand. so even when they do break, they arent dear to fix.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
In terms of reliability, coming from my ph1, they're really very good. In the time I had mine I did the clutch (age/miles), and the only thing to actually fail on me other than that was the top engine mount. It cost me a box of beer for DannyR to drive me another one down. Oh, and my passenger door stopped opening from the outside, this cost me £12.50 and the member fitted it for me.

TBH it's this place makes them a very very very cheap car to run.

Basically, servicable parts are now available from a multitude of motorfactors, like GSF and ECP, who often offer discount days so things can be had for pennies. Random things that break/snap/whatever you scottish lot do to cars can be replaced on here for less than I've paid for fish and chips.

Sure some rubber parts will need replacing, but I know what you're like Kev, you'll want to replace them so a) they look shiny and b) it drives like a new one.

172 Phase 1 & 172 Ph
I'm at times doing upto 1000 miles a week in my 172 and in about 40k, I've had 2 wheel bearings go, 1x radiator, 1x shock and that's it besides consumables, tyres, pads etc. I'm guilty of not keeping up on servicing either! As my other projects take priority.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The shocks I knew about that's fine. Most have been done before sale anyway. Reminds me of the Frp, car off the road for days to service some brakes!

Thanks for all the help so far chaps, just an option I was exploring. I know what the tax, insurance and rough fuel costs are, consumables don't bother me, more about the unavoidable running costs.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Other than the suspension with the trophy I can't think of much else.

I have done 23k+ in my 182 since May and it will keep on climbing constantly and so for its cost me nothing but tyres and fuel.

Epic little car, so cheap to run for what they are.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks mate. I don't worry about the Struts too much. Infact I wish that was all the Frp had to worry about when I had it.

I'm guessing most buy a set of cup shocks to tide them over or go without the car? Either is not a problem.

Rough fuel costs mate real world wise?

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Not sure mpg wise, trip always seems to read between 32-35.

Never returns less than 320-350 to a tank of BP Ultimate or V power and thats driving it how ever I like which is usually not economical.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
had my 182 from new, sold it 6 1/2 years 86,000miles later. serviced yearly by me / dad (a Renault mechanic)

Only faults I had with mine in that time were a sticky injector, 2nd O2 sensor played up causing EML, Battery coupling buckled internally so new battery, over sensitive internal alarm sensor.

Got married, 2months later it was sold. I still regret it

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Yep, I saw 36 from mine average and didn't hang about.

Megane r26
I usually average 36mpg, thats just to an from work and general driving in the week.

Usually average high 30's to 40's on a run! Even managed 48mpg on the way to the ring whilst sat behind me mates lorry! (but that was one long drive!)

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Why is it that as much as I love the Abarth (I really do), I really want another 1*2?

I blame Kevin.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Why is it that as much as I love the Abarth (I really do), I really want another 1*2?

Because other than investing it in something really sensible like coke and hookers its the best way you can enjoy spending a couple of grand?

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Join the club Luke, these sh1t boxes get under your skin.

I found myself looking at Trophy's last night lol.

It's stupid though. We have nice cars with plenty of toys/creature comforts, but still find myself missing my Trophy. They're too cheap to ignore now.

Me and the missus are moving in together in the summer, I might see it as an excuse to free up some cash and buy a Clio :eek:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I'm on my 3rd, love em!! Gally have you ever been out in a trophy?

A few times mate. Luckily. Enjoyable drive. Actually test drove 2 before buying the Frp ironically. See my thread!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Got married, 2months later it was sold. I still regret it
LOL! Regret getting married or selling the car?!?!? ;) :D

What have I started!
Not sure mate, but I know for a fact I LOVE my Trophy. I've said on many occasion that I'm never getting rid of it and despite the problems I've had (which are NOT typical 182/Trophy issues) I still couldn't face seeing it go. It's not the fastest, not the prettiest, but I haven't found a car that drives as well whilst still providing a whole load of fun along the way (even 5 years plus since buying it). And to top it off, the Capsicum Red might not be everyone's cup of tea but detailed properly it looks absolutely stunning (in my opinion, I'm not biased. Much). Apologies for the pic whoring... but I think you'll be able to appreciate and get the most out of the paintwork!

20110521_alloys06.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
That looks stunning there mate, hard to believe its the same car as the sheddy looking thing covered in mud from llandow, its amazing the difference a clean makes!

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
My 172 has been massively reliable, the only things that have gone wrong are due to my instance on taking on track and tbh the bits that broke - dog bone mount, wheel bearing and brakes, really are not expensive.

Still people think that because its french it is unreliable... yeah sure.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
That looks stunning there mate, hard to believe its the same car as the sheddy looking thing covered in mud from llandow, its amazing the difference a clean makes!
Thanks Chip, and you're absolutely right! It does clean up well (although it's got a few more stone chips now and obviously the aerocatches after the ITB work / slam panel removal). Like I heard you say at one of the Llandow days to someone, you look after the car and it will generally look after you. Can't argue with that as the Trophy gets as well treated as the missus. LOL!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Find one that's had regular use and been well looked after rather than ultra low miles and been stored for months on end. They die if they're not used IME. Lovely 60k example of a Trophy in today, better than a lot of the 20k ones I've seen

Titanium 182
I'm on my fourth now!!! (Not trophy) there's just something about them. Every time I've sold one it's been to buy a different colour or model (ph1 to 182 etc) except my inferno which I sold to save money. The 1.3 diesel corsa that replaced it actually cost me about the same in fuel and the 1.2 fabia that followed that did less mpg!

They are really brilliant cars and I'm going to keep my current one for a very long time. Every time I'm out of one it takes 1-2 months then I miss it.
So cheap to run for what they offer, in all my 4 the worst thing I've had to change is a engine mount or a radiator. And the radiator wasn't even a problem it was the thread on the plastic drain plug!

Megane r26
I absolutely love my Trophy, brought it back in July an two Weeks later I took it to the ring!

When I brought it it was fairly clean with loads of history, just a few age related marks (stone chips) which we'll soon be taken care of come the spring.

Other then a suspension an steering refresh, some powder coating an a few other bits I'm just gonna drive the wheels of it cause I love it!

120d M Sport
Just niggles really mate, little electrical faults here and there at worst.

Consumables and tired bits wearing out too (ball joints, track rod ends etc) which you will be familiar with from owning older cars.

Oh yeah rattles too, better re-familiarise yourself with them, MK2 Clio's will rattle your fillings out!

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
That Trophy looks great! I'll own one at some point.

My 182 is probably the most reliable car I've owned, bar couple of small issues - wheel bearings, exhaust mounts/blowing.

I smelt Trophy loving a mile away, me and a mate have been out in ours today and given them death. Put such a smile on my face.

keo

Clio Trophy
I have had my trophy 3 years next month all its cost me is general servicing, damper re build, top mount bearings and a stainless exhaust as my other one rotted. I dont think its to bad on a french box that is getting old now. I keep thinking about changing it but i cant think of what to replace it with. The values seam to have dropped so i may as well just keep it.

I get low 30mpg average just around town/ short journeys over 40 on a steady motorway run.

Status
Not open for further replies.