ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182/Trophy Reliability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Megane r26
I have had my trophy 3 years next month all its cost me is general servicing, damper re build, top mount bearings and a stainless exhaust as my other one rotted. I dont think its to bad on a french box that is getting old now. I keep thinking about changing it but i cant think of what to replace it with. The values seam to have dropped so i may as well just keep it.

I get low 30mpg average just around town/ short journeys over 40 on a steady motorway run.

Did you attend the CS strines meet/cat an fiddle not long after you brought it?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Thanks again guys. Much appreciated.

I've never heard many bad things about the 182 at all. Some people have 3 or 4 things go wrong after purchase, I blame bad luck or poor buying.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Yeah I think the only ones that are any trouble reliability wise are ones that are neglected throughout their life.

keo

Clio Trophy
Did you attend the CS strines meet/cat an fiddle not long after you brought it?

Yeah i did mate, it was a week after i brought it! Was it you in the other trophy? I cant remeber that much had a chat with you if it was you with the T! Kind of put me off cs meets though, everyone drove like nutters! Everytime i went round a bend, iexpected see a clio on its roof!

23847_10150103577815324_3637922_n.jpg

Guessing thats your t?

Yeah i did mate, it was a week after i brought it! Was it you in the other trophy? I cant remeber that much had a chat with you if it was you with the T! Kind of put me off cs meets though, everyone drove like nutters! Everytime i went round a bend, iexpected see a clio on its roof!

No, the other Trophy was nixieJ with me in the passenger seat.

Megane r26

Guessing thats your t?

Nah I was in me old icelandic ph2 172, it may have even been the one just to the right of yours. I'd only had it a few weeks, was me first CS drive out. I quite enjoyed it, shame there don't seem to be as many meets like this.

This is my T

561658_10151520247138858_1186937504_n.jpg

417389_10151313199698858_635098303_n.jpg

Think a friend of yours owned it at one point

182 Trophy

Guessing thats your t?

Oh hello yes we were driving like nutters. My trophy has been completely unreliable to run and I dare not add up the costs but I still love it four years on

keo

Clio Trophy
Yeah Dan a mate of mine had it, just with you saying you had a t then brought it back could of been you at the meet. How many miles has your trophy done nixiej? Was yours stripped out with an aftermarket exhaust iirc?

Megane r26
Yeah Dan a mate of mine had it, just with you saying you had a t then brought it back could of been you at the meet. How many miles has your trophy done nixiej? Was yours stripped out with an aftermarket exhaust iirc?

Nah I had the 172 for 18 months, spent a small fortune on it then got a 197. Then due to us buying a house I brought the T.

182 Trophy
Yes that was mine. I have changed that exhaust and that is for sale when u get my act together. It done just over 80k now, 50k in my ownership, how's yours keo?

MINI-R32-integrale
Find one that's had regular use and been well looked after rather than ultra low miles and been stored for months on end. They die if they're not used IME. Lovely 60k example of a Trophy in today, better than a lot of the 20k ones I've seen

Thanks Dan.

I've done 37,000 miles in my Trophy since I purchased it in Oct 2009, now sitting at 63,500. I've needed to change nothing but consumables in that time. It returns 40 mpg with ease on my 90mile a day commute which is mix of A roads, dual carriageway and town, plus consumables are cheap.

My dampers have done 36k since being serviced at BG & were confirmed today to still be spot on. I've no secrets to this apart from jet washing them regularly to stop build up of grit and dirt around the adjuster and body. I've yet to find any car that has an everlasting damper though & find the fact they can be rebuilt a bonus not a hindrance.

I've spent way more on things I didn't need but wanted, for example the Sparky (through Arran 2years back) beautifully retrimmed steering wheel, StreamLine carbon splitter, foglamp surrounds, dash strips, mirrors, rear bumper insert etc etc, Mark Fish springs + Koni rear dampers, WhiteLine rear anti-roll bar, poly bushed front anti-roll bar, Eiback camber bolts, 15" winter alloy wheels & tyres, port matched inlet etc than the consumables did.

Great car, but with the lengthy commute which came about May last year, plus an 18 month old daughter we're looking at possibly changing our daily drivers. Hers being an EP3 Civic Type-R Premier, so far a Mitsubishi EVO X & Fabia vRS PD130 combo has been considered as both offer 4 door practicality, one returning 55mpg & £130 tax to cover my daily slog, the other only needing to do approx 3k a year as a stay at home mum car, so costs not so much of an issue.

But I'd miss the Trophy, so reluctant to move on, so the miles keep pilling on and keep putting off a decision.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
They're 7-8 years olds now, so be mindful of perishable rubber mounts, gaiters, bushes etc.

Other than the obvious dampers, it's just the normal 182 checklist.

(FYI the first 50 were press cars). You can do a bit of homework on some of them through the cliotrophy.co.uk owners register.

keo

Clio Trophy
Yes that was mine. I have changed that exhaust and that is for sale when u get my act together. It done just over 80k now, 50k in my ownership, how's yours keo?

Mine is good realy mate, i keep thinking about changing as i think i should try some more cars and before the trophy i was always changing cars. But like i said its hard to replace for the same money, everything i fancy seams to be 2-3 more times expensive to insure so its hard to justify. Especialy with me saving for a house. I have done about 19k in mine

My 182 has gone from 76-97k with me and 97-108k with my GF. Just over 30k in 2 years this coming Friday.

They are fantastic mate, pretty reliably and cheap if stuff goes wrong.

Problems with mine:

I purchased it (unknowingly) with a broken power steering pump - wasn't clued up as much as I should have been when I bought.
Cruise control never worked.

Things that have broken/consumables over 30k ownership:

1 set of discs and pads - £100
Seat recline function on one side - never bothered to fix.
4-6 odd tyres (due another 4 now) - £75 quid each for rainsports
1 thermostat - £90
1 ball joint - £13
Lambda plus fitting £70
1 rear shock so I refreshed the whole lot - second hand 30k set for £40
1 front coilspring - sportlines at £60
1 leaky driveshaft - patched up with hopes and dreams
Exhaust by choice :)

Pretty reasonable in my opinion, and I love it!!

Av MPG for me was 34-35 and for my GF is 37-38.

Is this replacing the TT?

Last edited:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah it would be mate. The TT is sitting around mate at the moment. Was great for winter though, just might change soon.

Exploring some options. Though after 30,000 posts I should maybe at least look at buying a Clio!

Fair shout... I signed up to TTOC as I have an itch that might need scratching but keeping my options open at the mo. I change my mind on my next car more than I change my pants.

Trophy plus your OEM+ ocd addiction would go down well.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
FLOL, I'm not so sure either... He popped up in the Oldtimers thread but never came up with a pic!

I hope he has had one, would be a bit sad having 30,000 + posts on a forum that you've got no reason to be on lol

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Good times. I had a sort of 172 rep. It was a 1.2 Extreme in Pearl Black. Xenons, 172 rear bumper, all colour coded. I'm an assessor so everything was done for free through work at the time.

It was a 52 plate but I had the facelift front bumper, mouldings, grille etc oh and some shocking rear tinted lights.

My ex actually has 2 or 3 pictures on a old memory card/camera. I will ask her to look it out. No doubt lost. :( but alas I did own one once.

Still miss Rich16v's White cup racer style 172! It made me drool.

How times have changed eh!

Titanium 182
Gally mines been the most reliable car I have ever owned, infact all 3 182's I have had have been the same. Mind you saying this watch the belt slip on the way home :-(

Not sure you could handle the pink though

P.S You can feck off getting one and trying to make it look better then some of the decent ones on here :rasp:

Last edited:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Haha! Pink always comes across well in pictures! Really good market for buying even though there is not loads for sale.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It's a bit above what I want to pay. ;) Stunning example though.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I would say I've had no real reliability problems - but, the suspension can be hard work having to get the dampers refurbed etc. I've just had mine done for the 2nd time as the seals failed first time round after only 8k.

I find it a bit of a chore to drive too, it's quite noisey with all the rattles etc and with the firm suspension and michi's the ride isn't pleasureable - but, I rarely ever drive it for more than commuting tbh.

I would like to get rid of mine tbh.

I would say I've had no real reliability problems - but, the suspension can be hard work having to get the dampers refurbed etc. I've just had mine done for the 2nd time as the seals failed first time round after only 8k.

I find it a bit of a chore to drive too, it's quite noisey with all the rattles etc and with the firm suspension and michi's the ride isn't pleasureable - but, I rarely ever drive it for more than commuting tbh.

Surely you must of had the Sachs rebuilt the second time for free? As 8k from a refurbished set of Sachs is a disgrace.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

Is yours worth quite a bit mate?

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Nah - none of the Trophy's are worth that much any more. Mines on 59k, 3 owners - pretty reasonable. I'd want £4,750 for it with the plate and the Yozza - but, I'd got to £4.5k to sell it. (It's standard other than the exhaust)

As for the Sach's being free - haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. I know most ppl like those guys at BG, but, I don't. They did do an element for free but it still cost me about £300.

Status
Not open for further replies.