ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Wheel skipping problem

RS Clio 182

I am having problems with the front wheels when turning corners or reversing on full lock. The wheels feel as though they sometimes skip a little (as they are obviously either getting pulled apart or pushed together) and make a small clunking noise when they do. Just wondered if anyone knows what this is. Is it anything to do with the low profile tyres or do I have a problem?

111s

I get this with my 172. Everything seems to be tight but still happens. Nothings dropped off yet so ive put it down as another clio characteristic.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

I think its to do with the diff?

ie one wheel rotates slowly and one rotates faster, yet they arent as free as they could be.

That combined with the tyre width as Shaun said, causes the mild scrubbing/skipping

i never noticed it with my old cup, but got it from new with the 182, so i guessed it was the tyres, i had similar thing before with old cars when i put wider tyres on, as long as it drives straight and doesnt vibrate etc and goes round corners at speed ok then i would say your ok

I get this with my 182 put it down to the tyres. Its only when going slow at full lock right? I know what you mean though it is a little worrying when you experience it.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

Mine has been in reno for this a couple of weeks back. They changed the near side drive shaft! feels better but the problem is still there on full lock ?????

My friend went last week with same problem on EXACTLY the same car, they have changed the top mount on the strut (or something like that). He reckons its a lot better ????

Im just going to live with it now as it seems to be common. Sick of going back and forward to reno!

same thing here on new 182...full lock right at 1-5mph and i feel a small click/clunk through the clutch peddle...

...figure if its driving ok then will leave it....dont want to have reno wreck it until ive got a few warrenty issues

P

peterh2

Mine does it I was thinking it may be the tracking but it seems loads of people have it so I will just leave it.

Could this be a turning radius issue? Steering isnt linear across both wheels - the inside wheel always turns a tighter angle than the outside wheel, particularly with tight lock applied. Perhaps its slightly off in the Clio and the tryes slip to take up the error in steering radius?