ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182's... the crappest car to drive in snow?!

thread title needs amending.

"Women... crappiest thing driving a 182 in the snow"

not sure how they compare to "its got no ABS" cup drivers mind.

Amy

UR R26, Hyundai IX35
Personally haven't seen any winter accident threads from the girls yet...albeit there only being a few of us, so we can't be THAT bad at driving or we would all have had a thread up by now ;)

Personally haven't seen any winter accident threads from the girls yet...albeit there only being a few of us, so we can't be THAT bad at driving or we would all have had a thread up by now ;)

Maybe it's just Ron that cant drive then ;) lol

b/g 182, meg tourer
low revs. too much revs and the wheels will just spin! less traction in ice/snow, simple as that!
flooring it in the ice will not get you grip.

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
I'd imagine that a 600+BHP RWD Corvette would be a trifle crapper in the snow. :D Only wish it was bloody mine and not in PistonHeads classifieds.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Got to agree with Roy, it is utter crap compared to every other car Ive driven in then snow and I dont know how many that is! It is possible but takes more effort imo

Ok Sterling. Not all of us are racing drivers. I've driven a fair few cars in the snow, and I've found my 182 to be the worst so far.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Anni - you're not the only one. I worked from home yesterday as the 182 was hopeless in the snow....

• Took me 40 mins to get to Bury (less than 2 miles from where I live!)
  • Traction control kept kicking in, in both 1st and 2nd.
  • When I turned back, it couldn't make 10ft up the lane - which is barely on an incline!
Ended up leaving it at the petrol station at the bottom of the lane and asked the bloke there if I could pick it up in the afternoon.

Went back for it later yesterday and a combination of rapid 1st and 2nd gear changes with traction control off - finally got me back home - lol!

My old Punto GT was brilliant in the snow, but the 182 just seems to have zero grip. Still, I made it to Blackburn and back today with no issue - unlike the woman in front in her Astra who locked up and smashed heavily into the kerb. :(

D.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
My guess is tyres and extra power, as some have already said.

Wider tyres = more of weight spread out so less pressure on the ground through those four tyres compared to thinner tyres. And being a light weight car doesn't help. Hence why its easier to aquaplane and slide on snow.

Recent fiestas are about the same weight as clios so that could explain it if thinner tyres, esp as someone mentioned it easier to control throttle due to less power.

Probably the less power has the bigger effect.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Never had a problem with mine tbh. Maybe northern snow is a bit meatier than midlands stuff

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
To be fair, most performance orientated cars are naff in the snow. Fat, low profile tyres and snow don't really get along.
This time of year kinda makes any quick car redundant on any sort of B-road.
Even when its dry its still slick from the bloody salt.

Unless you are one of the self proclaimed CS 'driving gods' of course...cos they can drive anything in everything.:rolleyes:;)

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
My guess is tyres and extra power, as some have already said.

Wider tyres = more of weight spread out so less pressure on the ground through those four tyres compared to thinner tyres. And being a light weight car doesn't help. Hence why its easier to aquaplane and slide on snow.

Recent fiestas are about the same weight as clios so that could explain it if thinner tyres, esp as someone mentioned it easier to control throttle due to less power.

Probably the less power has the bigger effect.

I really can't see what power has to do with it:S

For a start when I was setting off the other day I just gently let the clutch out without touching the throttle and the wheels just spun very slowly.

I can also very the amount of throttle I use just as well as I would in any other car.

Tyres/pressures..... will make a difference mind.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I've not had a prob with the throttle either in my car but only had it a couple of weeks.

Just a guess tbh :eek:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
its the wider tyres spreading the weight out, you want thin tyres in the snow

example...
wrc-2007-20070212054907940.jpg

Clio 197 FF
Drove the 172 cup for the first time in the snow this morning, expected it to be alot worse.

Focus ST
Loads of douche bags travelling at 3mph - Seen 3 smashes on the way to work

Once they got out the way it was sideways for Tupps, Who needs traction control

Only me in the office so far

I don't drive in the snow... no point pissing around with it.

It only snows for 1 day a year down here anyway... and everything's covered in salt due to living 50 yards from the beach

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
my boss once told me he had a brand new range rover years ago fully kitted out.
it snowed he got stuck and got a lift home home in a daewoo matiz! mad me lol
skinny tyres FTW.
he said there were cars abandoned everywhere and the wee thing just
ploughed through the snow no probs.

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
yesterday i couldn't get to uni because my car just wouldn't move in the snow (apart from sideways!) and then today i tried to park the car on the drive (slight slope) and had to give up after flooring it in 1st just made the tyres spin and got me nowhere even though my dad's fiesta managed to get up the drive no problem. is it the tyres or something?! excuse my blonde-ness in asking this but i'm a girl, therefore i'm allowed ;)

Yeah advice is sound, second and low revs, or in my case it pulled it off the drive way with my beamer :)

clio trophy No56
Just discovered how crap Eagle F1's are in the snow, when i had PE2's it was ok.
With the Eagles on it doesnt matter what gear im in the wheels just spin, i hate snow!

106 GTi
Eagles and Toyos with that directional tread just fill up with snow and become slicks !

Iceberg 172
Just discovered how crap Eagle F1's are in the snow, when i had PE2's it was ok.
With the Eagles on it doesnt matter what gear im in the wheels just spin, i hate snow!

I didn't even bother today. Took my daughter to school in her sledge :cool: and then took the wife's heavy diesel Verso to work, no probs.

Plus it's a lease car so should the worst happen...... :rasp:;)

Iceberg 172
I don't know if 182s are the same, but the heavy and abrupt clutch in my 172 makes it harder to control too. Not impossible, but harder compared to aforementioned pleb cars...

'83 2.8 Capri :)
Should try RWD then.

Indeed, I'd rather be in a 182 than the Capri in this weather, it's scary. 13x7 alloys, rwd and a high idle. I'm still not entirely sure why I didn't leave it at home and take the Land Rover.

Interestingly the 205/45/16's on the Megane got me happily up a snow-covered hill. Five minutes later I struggled to get my g/'s sister's Rover 25 up the hill with 185/55/15's yet both cars are a similar weight. I was always told that thinner tyres bite deeper and gain more traction but I'm just confused now!

clio 182 black /gold
Do what i did on my street. Put it in reverse and pretend it is s rear wheel car. When the neighbours saw me doing this they copied and they got there cars up.