ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 cams in a 172 cup

Non AC I assume..

If you're supplying the cams, it's £510 for the cambelt kit, aux belt, dephaser and oil with filter. £100 to fit the cams and time them correctly. And £250 for mapping. I'd need the car for a few days to make sure the map is perfect as I don't do rush jobs.

FRP - Clio 182
Dan, perhaps you can help me on this one, from the research I have carried out for the 438 cams can you confirm that it timed up as standard? Then it just needs the mapping service that you offer?

R 5
Thought it might be helpful. According to renault data:
F4R730(clio 172) / F4R830(clio 197)
Valve lift:
inlet 11mm / 11.6mm
exhaust 10mm / 10.6mm
Dephaser angle:
16 degrees / 43 degrees (in seems a lot, can someone confirm this)

So for clio 197 cams to be timed properly, one should advance inlet cam by 43-16=27 degrees. This is only theoretical and MUST be checked. I didnt try this, but according to renault files it should work that way. You will have very small piston to valve clearance because 197 pistons have deeper valve pockets. With this timing there can be idling issues too.
I wouldnt recommend this cam swap because clio 172 has small inlet manifold which is limiting factor. Possible problems and other costs (remapping) are not worth the gain of cca 10-15 hp.