ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 cams in a 172 cup

clio sport 172 cup
Am looking to get sum cams in the next few weeks when get my cam belt done and notices that 197 cams are going cheap they any good in a 172 cup much bhp?

172, Tiguan
It depends who you speak to tbh. If you're getting the cambelt done anyway and you don't mind taking the rocker cover off then go for it.

Clio RS 172 2002
IIRC the 197 engine has continuously variable valve timing, whereas the 172 @ 182 have only two positions on and off.

clio sport 172 cup
So it's not as strate forward as it sounds then just just want sum cams but don't wanna pay loads of money for them

They work well IMO. It's one of my favourite setups. But bare in mind they aren't time up normally. Only a handful of people are in the knowledge of how to do them properly.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It's not a straightforward swap no but I really liked them in mine and the noise... I swear the induction note changes to give more of a roar with the 197 units installed.

172, Tiguan
I've heard they give ok gains on standard timing as well, but again, everyone you speak to has differing opinions on things like this.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Top secret timing positions;)

Not really "top secret" as it's not that difficult to work out where the crossover point would be just by looking at some after market cam specs however I believe Mike Woodford has done a fair bit of work developing the advances with standard and 197 units so I can understand why Mike doesn't shout the values out.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Deffo is a change in induction note with them, and as above you need to time in slightly differently to get the best effect, and you will also need a remap as the ECU wont know that its now flowing air differently as it has no air mass meter.
Mike tried on stadard timing figures and lots of others, on standard figures they made almost no difference, on the figures he uses now its about 8bhp or so generally, so comparable to something like 428s, its not as good as 421s though.

PB172,dci100,dci65
does anybody have a technical drawing what are the differnces of the cams 1*2/197..I mean the shape of the cam "thing" that pushes the valve (sorry, dont know the word:) ).

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You mean the lobe, and no I dont know of anyone with drawings, not that hard to make a rig and clock them though, weve done it with other cams before.

clio sport 172 cup
Well thanks for all your help I have looked up on here and lot of people are still rating 438 cams I might have to bite the bullet and try and find a set at end of the month this is all new to me so all a bit confusing as a ground worker not a macanic lol and also as you lot have been so help full I have heard it's best to keep a filter instead of an induction kit as loss power? And seen a few threads about vr6 clio air filter or panel filter??????. Like I say haven't got a clue? Just wanna gain sum good power for my 1st tuning project so any ideas fell free to feel me in cheers

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
As chip said they only gain about 8bhp. Iirc from Mike's graph they lost a little torque and the bhp gains were only at the very top end.

If you're going to go to the hassle of doing a cam swap then fit the best you can for the budget. I'd go for 421 over the 438, they're £600 new and very rarely come up second hand. Or you could get piper cams for £320 and they're as good as the 438.

You're thinking of when they're fitted to the rs2.

When fitted to a stock inlet like Vikki's, here has gained about 5lb-ft across the range. The graphs are almost identical. But higher up the graph, and the power doesn't tail off.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Fitted a set to @The_Russians phase 1 and it made 178hp on standard inlet with a nice torque curve.

If you can get them for a good price I rate them as a cheaper alternative but they can cause confusion at belt change time due to the non-standard setup required.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Fitted a set to @The_Russians phase 1 and it made 178hp on standard inlet with a nice torque curve.

If you can get them for a good price I rate them as a cheaper alternative but they can cause confusion at belt change time due to the non-standard setup required.

The local renault garage would certainly wonder what was going on with the timing! lol

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
TBH Chip, from what I've seen of one dealerships effort recently they'd just think it was standard

Inferno 225 cup

Hai.

IMO it's worth it, I paid £65 for the cams and Mick fitted them along with belt change etc.

The difference in the car was fantastic, the sound on idle + the sound @ 5k+ was lovely.

Paul said with Decat and a new lambda it would have pulled around 184.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Hai.

IMO it's worth it, I paid £65 for the cams and Mick fitted them along with belt change etc.

The difference in the car was fantastic, the sound on idle + the sound @ 5k+ was lovely.

Paul said with Decat and a new lambda it would have pulled around 184.

If doing the belts, its a cheap and cheerful mod.

If having the belts done just to do the cams, its never worth it IMHO

clio sport 172 cup
Think it's gonna be cat cams not sure which ones and we're would i get a jms rs2 from and any one had both super chipped and remapped?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Think it's gonna be cat cams not sure which ones and we're would i get a jms rs2 from and any one had both super chipped and remapped?

421's and the RS2 is only available s/hand.

Chipped and mapped? ??????

It will need to be remapped.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Superchip = generic off the shelf remap

No point doing that if you then get it properly mapped, it would be like recording an episode of blackadder onto a video tape then taping over it with a copy of red dwarf and refer to the tape as having both, the first one will be gone when you right the second one!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ok cool so probs better of sticking to a remap then.

If you fit cams or an RS2, you really dont have any options other than a custom map, and be bloody careful where you go.

There are companies out there who will Keep Taking Everyones Cash as if they know what they are doing while actually doing a terrible job that wrecks the engine.

clio sport 172 cup
Were is rs tuning I'm in portsmouth and will be taking car to rentech for cam belt and cams when I finally have the money spare fingers cross end of the month I can finally start my project as new to al this tuning any advice on best mods?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
If you fit cams or an RS2, you really dont have any options other than a custom map, and be bloody careful where you go.

There are companies out there who will Keep Taking Everyones Cash as if they know what they are doing while actually doing a terrible job that wrecks the engine.

I like what you've done there ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sadly in portsmouth you have no one decent locally for mapping.

SJM in Gloucester or MWM in staines are about your closest, and then after that its all the way up in Leeds for RS Tuning.

R5GTT, 2L turbo
A while back I remapped a guys 172 with stock ECU after he'd fitted a pair of 197 camshafts at factory 172 timing with original dephaser. The engine had other subtle modifications and the usual filter and exhaust. It made 188hp with moderate torque increase too. It responded well to keeping the VVT active all the way to the redline and the usual fuel and timing optimization. I'd say its a worthwhile upgrade that doesn't cost you too much response at low RPM.