ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 cup on autotrader

221bhp/ton Mondial Terror
Saw this on autotrader. Doesnt mention anything about the lightening of the car, but does say that they have changed the gear ratios in fifth and sixth to allow a 11mph increase in top speed? The price: £15,350. Bit much for a cup! U can pick up a full fat 197 for less than that!:eek:

New Renaultsport Clio 197 Cup

26 September 2007

clio_world_edition_rs.JPG
by Andy Goodwin The hot new Renaultsport Clio 197 Cup is on sale now.
The Clio is powered by a highly tuned 2-litre engine producing 200bhp and 159lb/ft of pulling power. This accelerates the Renaultsport Clio 197 Cup from 0-60mph in under 6.9 seconds and on to a top speed of 139mph.
Distinctive black 17-inch wheels and the option of a white body for the first time are the most striking new features.
Under the paint the greatest change is an 11mph top speed increase over the standard Renaultsport Clio 197. It is the result of a longer fifth and sixth gear ratio, designed to improve economy and refinement during motorway cruising.
From October, the revised gear ratios will be fitted to all Clio Renaultsport models.
Ride and handling are carried over from the limited edition Clio 197 F1 Team R27, meaning class leading grip will be available.
You will need 21,000 Euros (£15,350) to have this racer-for-the-road on your driveway.
We’ve driven the Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique S 1.2 Turbo 100 TCE, and gave it a high 82 percent score in our Auto Trader Ten Point Test:

It's one of the UK</SPAN> 's favourite superminis; and with good reason. It blends good looks with great driving dynamics and low running costs – and this, the third generation is roomier and more refined than ever.</SPAN> Read the full review now
Read the What Car? review of the Renault Clio
Find out what Renault Clio owners think of their car

Last edited:
designed to improve economy and refinement during motorway cruising

This is the Cup, right?! All sounds a bit odd to me

Tangoed Works
I think normal 197 owners are going to be pissed at that. At least Renault listen to the public if what is said above is true.

Tangoed Works
Just noticed on another site that wheels are ET68. I guess thats going to make it difficult to get aftermarket wheels.

GDI 227bhp ITB`d 172 cup
price: £15,350!!f**k a duck mine`s cost less than that to build n its quicker!! still a lovely car thou.

GDI 227bhp ITB`d 172 cup
Yours back yet mate^^?

nah not yet mate, taking the piss abit. was told it wud take 3 weeks n the cars been there nearly 3 weeks, so rang them 2day to see how its going n they hav hardly started, so gonna ring andy 2moz to see what the crack is (andy as been on holiday for 2 weeks) cause i need it bak cause me bro`s need`s to go in (gonna take me down then leave his there) for the map looking at n both need to be done b4 the 13th sempember cause going santa pod.;) plus i miss it :(

Tangoed Works
thats the thing with these conversions, its anyones guess as to how long it will take. granted its gna be a beast after though!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Yeah but if it's 2 grand less than a 197 should be able yo get one for £11kish

I think the gearing sounds like an ace idea.

Black/Gold 182
yeah I saw this earlier (my post was first:rasp: ) - the gearing has been one of the biggest criticisms so longer gearing makes sense (only the top two gears to will keeping the headline 0-60 time which is an important stat for sales)

Golf GTI PP Mk7
yeah im not suprised they have changed the gearing, i think they mentioned a while back that it would be revised, 6th gear is a bit naff in the 197.

Cant wait till the order books open on the Cup!

so... imagine reading this if you've just bought a 192/R27 etc... I would be in Renault asking them to alter the gearing on my car!

I wonder if they'll offer a recall to adjust the ones already sold?

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
*IF* you can get one for around £11k - that'll be a fscking bargain. Surely even the 197 haters will have to concede that hehe :) £11k for a brand spanking new ~200bhp hot hatch.

Dan

I love the people comparing the "I can get a 197 for this" against the actual list price for the Cup.

Do you think that bit of the brain ever kicks in where they think, 'hang on a minute, if I can get a discount on a 197, maybe I will be able to on a 197 after a little while'.

Jag Mondeo -Type
*IF* you can get one for around £11k - that'll be a fscking bargain. Surely even the 197 haters will have to concede that hehe :) £11k for a brand spanking new ~200bhp hot hatch.

Dan

Agreed would be a great deal. I think I may even buy one if they come up for sale at this price. Depends on the demand and how many they will make though. But as you can get at a new 197 for 13K and a R27 for 14K can see 12K being plausible with time.