ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Cup with AST's (suspension treats)

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
I'm looking at the possibility of snapping up a 197, I believe its a cup.
the intention is to pull it apart and make it a new trackday replacement for the Trophy.

i know this site seems to be 172/182 dominated, but surely there are a good few 197 owners lurking about.

has anyone changed over to AST's yet?
did you need specific top mounts, or is there a set up available similar to the Pure Motorsport setup?
do the 197's have varying bolt spacings for the front struts like the 172/182/cup etc that I need to be aware of?

Other than that, who on here is a set setup track spec 197?

​cheers :)

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
I'd not heard of 197.net.

Rudi, I don't follow your comment?
high enough for what?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Speak to Josh Cook, this would be the first place I go calling.

Yup, same. Although id probably buy it, then try it on a track day to see what needed improving 1st!! Mine seemed fairly handy as it was. Think Danny sells various strut braces for them, ultra racing ones perhaps? Clio197.net is the best place to look tbh.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Tony, Who/what is Josh Cook?

probably break the T if I'm honest Dave, I have someone lined up for a fair bit of it already, and a few bits id want to keep.
at realistic cheap sale prices I should see £4-4.5k back out of it easily enough.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Gotcha, cheers Mike.
spotted from his page, also seems to have a close working relationship with a company called JHR Developments.

could be a good man to make contact with if the 197 idea comes off.

Thought I would give a bit of my input as I used to own an R27 (197 with stickers on) I used the car most days as my daily driver and owned it for 18 months and did about 30,000 miles in it. The car probably did around 20 or so track days and stood up pretty well to the abuse (Helped that is was brand new). I started tracking the car as standard and it was a very good track car, On the first ever trackday the only thing I suffered with was brakes overheating, presumed it was boiled fluid so replaced but never seemed feel right since then (Still to this day don't know what it was although think it might of been air in the ABS pump) I also uprated the pads all round to DS2500's. Worked well but after the next trackday it had warped the discs. I then bought the Yozza brake kit which was separate bells and rotors, these dissipated the heat much better and that was the end of my braking issues. The car ran on 888's and even with pretty much standard geo and 30psi hot all round wore the tyres very evenly and lasted many track days.

The car didn't go without its faults though, had a new gearbox, cylinder head, radiator, some bearings and quite a few electrical issues. I had bought the car new so thankfully all was covered under warranty otherwise it would have been very costly.

I also fitted an aftermarket exhaust and remap but it just made the car more noisy and had a flatspot from the exhaust so I wouldn't recommend that if I were you.

Obviously I have also driven a few 1*2's on track and if I were you I wouldn't sell the Trophy as it's a much more fun car to drive on track, much more rewarding and ultimately a hell of a lot cheaper to run. Tyres, bearing, bushes, body panels, wheels absolutely everything is alot more expensive to replace and the electronics are a mine field so you have very limited potential for tuning.

Don't get me wrong as an all rounder it was a great car for me at that point in my life and I did love it and it was quick but it was an occasional trackday car rather than a dedicated one which is what I think you are wanting it for?

Looking at it from a Wallet v's Laptime/Fun perspective I would either keep the Trophy or buy a mk3 Cup racer but you have to be prepared for the bills with the cup racers as each day will cost 1k easily by the time you look at wear on the car, tyres, brakes, circuit fee, fuel etc

I know that's not what you want to hear but just thought I should give my opinion after having a similar 197 and a similar 182 :)