ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 prices..

Renault Clio 1.2
hi guys, im know theres been threads like this before but hey bare with me here. im 18, saving hard for a 182 in april, i work hard and fancy like treating myself. i love driving but im not stupid on the road. now im thinking of getting a 182 in april for around 5000, which is how much the majority will be im guessing, 40k miles and hopefully a new cambelt. thats the plan. but realistically if i added a few months, nearer towards june, july when i have more money do you guys reckon 197's maybe down in price? around 7000? its just a thought but i love 197s and never really considered it because there new cars, that as it stands cost around 11k at the moment second hand. would/could this be a possibility? what would you do in my position?
cheers dave.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
2006 197's are a shade under 10k atm. In june 2009 maybe closer to 7.5k maybe, hard to tell really. Market atm seems to be dropping but how long for.

But i would personally go for a 172/182 then add Coilovers. If your saving hard for a 182 then i wouldnt stretch for the 197 and just get a 182 and spend a bit on it.

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
I think I saw a 06 197 on RS the other day for just over £8k. Mine went for 9k in the end so not far from your budget.

Renault Clio 1.2
yeye perhaps. i just think that by that time a 197 would be a newer/sexier time by that. i love 172's/182's but i they will have been around for a long time by then.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
197's do look the shizzle. Maybe prices will be clsoer to 7k, which would be a bargain

Renault Clio 1.2
ye i understand that duck. but hey if im not driving like a doosh i can practically tell them to go fts'. they were following me the other day cus of headbanging while listening to music hahaha. but hey a cars a car, would be a great feeling to say to a copper that ive fully paid for a 197 at 18 years old :D

White clique
To be honest i'm not so certain they will come down to 7k, unless they are a heap. At the moment, the only ones you'll see near the 8k mark are going to be the roughest ones out there, anything decent at the moment is around 9k even for an early one. It would be the same as picking up a 182 for 3.5k - its possible, but it wont be the best example.

I reckon if you could up it to 8k in the summer you'll be able to pick up a decent one.

Renault Clio 1.2
ye perhaps mate. i am aiming to get one during 1.5 years ncb so insurance is gpoing to be mad but worth it. im paying sky high prices at it stands but i work hard and love driving. will have to see, i mean 182s are comin down massivley. so hopefully 197s will at that time

ye i understand that duck. but hey if im not driving like a doosh i can practically tell them to go fts'. they were following me the other day cus of headbanging while listening to music hahaha. but hey a cars a car, would be a great feeling to say to a copper that ive fully paid for a 197 at 18 years old :D

Yeah then they just report you for driving without due care and attention :rolleyes:

I talk from recent experience

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
I bet I could pick up a 2006 197 for 7.5k - 8k, most are advertised for 8,5k or 9k, bet I could get one cheap.

To be honest i'm not so certain they will come down to 7k, unless they are a heap. At the moment, the only ones you'll see near the 8k mark are going to be the roughest ones out there, anything decent at the moment is around 9k even for an early one. It would be the same as picking up a 182 for 3.5k - its possible, but it wont be the best example.

I reckon if you could up it to 8k in the summer you'll be able to pick up a decent one.
I agree bud. I can't add anything to that tbh.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
The 197 prices are falling quick.

08/08 albi with options was on autotrader for just over 9K

The 08/08 GW cup on PH for 12K was bought only a couple of weeks ago for 10K as the owners trade in was 9K :eek:

Some of the 197's on AT have been there for several months! Cheeky bids;)

Renault Clio 1.2
yeye true. ive noticed you can pick one up for about 8k because people have done up 20k miles in it them. thats really good. and another thing ive just noticed, (in my research ;)) is the 197 is one insurance group lower than the 182! whats that all about. works in my favour and makes me want to get one more.

White clique
yeah the 197 is group 15 or 16 i think - its the reason i bought mine! I saved about £100 a year on insurance when i traded up.

Renault Clio 1.2
that doesnt make sense, cheaper but faster. tbf as an overall cost i think im going to save money as a teen on insurance for going for a 197 than 182. BARGAIN. bring on next year.

White clique
It is a cheaper group, but its not a faster car though, plus it has slightly improved security and a better euroNCAP safety rating which insurance companies like!

MKIII 138
its better built and nicer to look at. the 182 is getting old now but still a pocket rocket, you will have more fun in the 182 id expect (miss my 172cup :( )

but 197 is a great car to start modding

Mustang, S13, AX GT
It is a cheaper group, but its not a faster car though, plus it has slightly improved security and a better euroNCAP safety rating which insurance companies like!
I was gonna say they are about as fast as each other but the 197 has better safety features so your less likely to hurt yourself in it, lower group. The 197 is grp 15 the 1*2 is a grp 16. made about £200 difference to my insurance quotes.

Clio 172 mk2
197 still going to be expensive on insurance though at 18, I'd ring around and get some quotes first

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
not unless you don't bother to get it insured... but that ends in fail.

prices are good, and naturally, over time just get better!

i'd personally go for a 197 if you have the means, but then i am biased. who wouldn't want the more complete car?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I would wait and buy a 197. Just for the simple fact they dont seem to be falling apart.

MKIII 138
I would wait and buy a 197. Just for the simple fact they dont seem to be falling apart.

my clio 138 seems to be all of a piece inside.. i.e its dash and instrument surround is all one mould, using lesser separate parts it means that there arent any rattles

320d
If 197's are £7.5K next year i'd be tempted. Saying that i'm still torn between a ph-quick or 182, if 197's came down to £7.5K i'd be tempted by one. Its wierd tbh to be torn between a ph-quick to a 197 it just depends on whether i prefare to keep some money in the bank, insurance and whether i feel i want a car that would be more of a project.

The ph-quick would cost me nothing because i'd swap my 1.2 for it and i'd insure it for less, have a car that I can improve etc.

The 182 would have all the toys, decent price and still have a car I can add mods to.

The 197 would stay standard for a while, be a lower spec than the 182 but newer.

Realy tempted by the ph-quick tbh.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
If 197's are £7.5K next year i'd be tempted.

Saying that i'm still torn between a ph-quick or 182,

if 197's came down to £7.5K i'd be tempted by one..

Realy tempted by the ph-quick tbh.

You sure? ;)